Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to take night time pictures? I've been trying to take good pictures of my angel eyes (headlights off) at night w/o flash and all I see is the car and a blur of white lightfiling up the headlights. This is what I have tried: Using a tripod to minimize movement and increasing shutter speed. I have a cannon S400. Any advice? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Increasing the shutter speed isn't really necessary but the tripod is. Just set your camera to the Flash-Off setting. This is usually the symbol with the lightning bolt with a circle and slash. This will force the camera to meter on available light alone and might give you about a 2 second shutter speed.

·
ex-M couper
1,744 Posts
Actually you are on the right track. You want to significantly underexpose the photo compared to the automatic setting because the bright angel eyes will be overexposed otherwise. The camera (or external light meter) does not know that you are taking a photo of a small bright area (the angel eyes) surrounded by a large dark area (the rest of the car) and it will try to make it all 18% gray. You have to use a faster shutter speed and/or a smaller aperture to make the dark car stay dark.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
What they said ^^

Also, angel eyes are bright enough that you can still use a fast shutter - 1/200 or so.. to capture just the white rings.

If you want the angel eyes and the rest of the car to both show up (without the angel eyes being overexposed), I recommend taking two pictures and combining them in photoshop.

Use something like 1/200 f/8 for the first picture, and 2sec f/8 for the second picture. Of course, you need to lock the focus on the camera and keep it on a tripod so that both shots are exactly the same frame.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Somewhat related picture:

Guy I knew took this picture [(c) Henry de Santos]. This is a 20 MINUTE exposure. He had strobe flashes that he flashed around the car and surrounding areas approx 15 times. You can see how much earth rotated in those 20 minutes by looking at the streaks on the stars.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
xspeedy said:
A steady platform is required. Even a camera on a tripod can shake if it is a windy day. For this pic, I put my cheap S50 on a trash can.

Those pictures didn't work.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
xspeedy said:
Better than hand held. I wasn't packing a tripod and SLR for that trip.

No, I mean posting the pics didn't work :). All we can see is a "MyPhotoAlbum" advertisement thumbnail. Your browser probably has the picture cached... ctrl+reload this thread and you'll see it too. The site must not allow remote hot linking.

·
Registered
485 Posts
the tripod is a must....just try diff 'shutter' aka 'exposure/EV' levels

i did say go with a -0.7 or so since the angel i is quite bright

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Vodka G said:
the tripod is a must....just try diff 'shutter' aka 'exposure/EV' levels

i did say go with a -0.7 or so since the angel i is quite bright

shutter speed and exposure/EV are different things.

·
mmm... carbs!
3,055 Posts
KrisL said:
No, I mean posting the pics didn't work :). All we can see is a "MyPhotoAlbum" advertisement thumbnail. Your browser probably has the picture cached... ctrl+reload this thread and you'll see it too. The site must not allow remote hot linking.
Thanks. I thought you were being critical :)

Fixed now. I just uploaded them instead of linking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts