BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Anti-Rice
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am doing my 30 minute per day header install. Its not going the fastest really. I don't have the time to dedicate right now, even though I would rather just lock myself in the garage till its done, I just don't get that privlage. Anyways, I am on the second exhaust port. Its slow going, these copper nuts are tight until I actually get them off the studs...

Time for a wobble.... Any recommendations? Or just get whatever is on sale at sears?

Also, how do you get at all these nuts? Its tight work no matter what. Front header or rear header first? I guess its just late and my brain shut down over an hour ago. Oh well. Tomorrow is another 30 minute job.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Mpire said:
So I am doing my 30 minute per day header install. Its not going the fastest really. I don't have the time to dedicate right now, even though I would rather just lock myself in the garage till its done, I just don't get that privlage. Anyways, I am on the second exhaust port. Its slow going, these copper nuts are tight until I actually get them off the studs...

Time for a wobble.... Any recommendations? Or just get whatever is on sale at sears?

Also, how do you get at all these nuts? Its tight work no matter what. Front header or rear header first? I guess its just late and my brain shut down over an hour ago. Oh well. Tomorrow is another 30 minute job.
For removing it says they have to come out together.

·
The Anti-Rice
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thanks Ron. I am working my way down the line. Its definitely takes some creativity and dexterity doesnt it?

Silber, I am putting on the euro/csl headers. These are the only ones that rumor says will install without lifting the engine off the mounts. Its tight in there for sure. I find that i am doing all the bolts with a regular old box end wrench.

This install has taken over a month already... But I travel alot with work, so I really havent but in as much time as I would have liked.

Cant remove the O2 sensors from the bungs without pulling the headers? Thats what I call cramped.

·
The Anti-Rice
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doubt it. However, I bet they make a euro version of your headers too.

The ETK doesnt list a euro header for your car, but it looks like the same bolt pattern as the S52USB32. So what I would recommend is seeing if you can borrow/get some 96-99 M3 stock headers to test fit. If they fit, just get the S52 headers. There have to be a dozen different aftermarket manufacturers of those.

Just a thought.

Attachments

·
The Anti-Rice
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So after busting just about every knuckle, I have finally extricated the cats and headers from the engine bay. Talk about a tight fit. Its so open in there now. I am going to have to clean it up a bit. Maybe give those bare metal parts a spray of some high temp paint. Not sure, but I dont like the bare metal.

So, all I need to do is replace my trap door, change the oil, tranny fluid, and diff fluid, and bolt up the headers and I will be ready to fire it up for the first time in over a month.

·
The Anti-Rice
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Stock headers. I could not get the O2 sensors out because I didn't have enough clearence to back the sensor all the way out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.