BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out driving and all of a sudden the trans fail safe popped on the info display and the car died, started it back up again and was fine for about a mile, then it died again with no warning, managed to get it to a safe place and died again, SES light came on with P0102 code, now waiting for tow truck. Any ideas on how to fix?

·
Registered
833 Posts
I was out driving and all of a sudden the trans fail safe popped on the info display and the car died, started it back up again and was fine for about a mile, then it died again with no warning, managed to get it to a safe place and died again, SES light came on with P0102 code, now waiting for tow truck. Any ideas on how to fix?
If you have the m54 engine the code indicates a problem with your mass air sensor.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I did that and adaptions to, is there a specific way to do this?
Only way I know is with a code reader. It allows you to clear error codes. If you did that and you still get the same code, then there may be something wrong in the mass air sensor circuit. You'd have to run that down with digital multimeter.

·
Registered
661 Posts
On your scanner can it display ready cycles of different modules? You may have to put some mileage on the new MAF and new adaptation. Did you buy a genuine Siemens / BMW MAf or some cheap ass made in China crap off of eBay or Amazon? You get what you pay for if you did.

·
Registered
833 Posts
On your scanner can it display ready cycles of different modules? You may have to put some mileage on the new MAF and new adaptation. Did you buy a genuine Siemens / BMW MAf or some cheap ass made in China crap off of eBay or Amazon? You get what you pay for if you did.
Bought a cheap one. I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars on something I don't often use. And yes, it goes through all the various modules. In fact, I took my X5 to my local indy when I got the codes to see what he got. I watched as he used the BMW scanner. My scanner shows all the same modules and read outs his did.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Bought a cheap one. I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars on something I don't often use. And yes, it goes through all the various modules. In fact, I took my X5 to my local indy when I got the codes to see what he got. I watched as he used the BMW scanner. My scanner shows all the same modules and read outs his did.
My reply was directed to the original poster with the problem and not you. By cheap ass I was referring to the MAF that he brought. Cheap Ass MAF can cause more problem than they can solve.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts