BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,just wondering if anyone could help me,i got a bmw 318 1.8 115bhp e36 on a k,its done 137,000 miles,its a lovely car but under accelleration it rattles alot from the tappet area,it sounds a bit like manifold intake noise but alot like tappets too,it doesnt do it so much if even atall on idle.could it be a slight manifold blow?i have recently changed the oil and filter and added oil additive,i used a non genuine oil filter. just wondering if anyone else had experienced this and is there anything i can do as it is really anoying,thanks very much for your time

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Wattsy,

Mines doing the same mate, the M40's are notoriously tappety, unfortunately my lifters gave up the ghost some time ago and have now scored the cams :cry:

If you suspect the lifters, best to whip off the rocker cover and have a look at your cams as well, make sure its not too late...

I'm about to install new lifters, thrust pads & cams as a result, might as well go the whole hog and replace the oil spray bar with new rocker gaskett and camshaft front oil seal to complete, and why not a timing belt change while we're at it? :rofl:

Damned expensive job this is turning out to be! :confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok,i changed the oil on friday with a genuine filter and engine flush but it seems to be worse now,think you could be right.......out of interest what sort of money is it costing you? i had the cam cover off a few weeks ago when i changed the belt and idlers but didnt realise then so didnt look at the cam.thanks for the reply.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Wattsy,

If its definitely the tappets only and the cam is ok, then Eurocar Parts are about the best bet. You can source just about any part for the M40 from there and they're competatively priced.

If when you inspect the cams, they are scored then you're better off taking the same road as I am. Tappets do seize anyway, but a contributing factor to them scoring the cams could be a starved oil supply (oil spray bar) - these do get clogged over time...

(Incidentally, what grade of oil did you use when you changed it? probability is that you used a thinner oil than was previously in there, hence the noise is now more apparent?)

What i'm doing is going for a full cam kit (cams, tappets & rocker arms) from MorotMec, they do a kit for the M40 all in, inc vat & delivery for £199 which works out slightly cheaper than buying individual bits from Euro. The ancillaries such as rocker gaskett, camshaft front oil seal, spray bar etc are coming from Euro though.

Couple of links for you:

Motormec: http://www.motormec.co.uk/engine.html - Scroll down, you'll see the special offer on M40 cam kits

Also for any other bits you might need: http://www.eurocarparts.com/

Hope that helps. :thumbup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
brilliant,thanks mate.im guna take the same road and replace it all as i want to keep the car so it will be worth it in the end,im using 10w 40 from work.its free see.thanks again :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
No problems, Wattsy, i'm feeding my old girl 10w 40 as well, spot on :thumbup:
Let us know how you get on with it mate.

;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi matey.guess what,i won a complete cam kit off ebay for £151,cam,seal,oil bar,lifters,rockers and thrust pads,brand new,wot a bargain,right place right time i think.just waiting for it to turn up then ill take it to work and get cracking.also i won a viper 2 chip for £55 extra 21hp 19flb torque,just now taking ecu apart to fit it,will let you know how it goes when fitted. :rofl:

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey wattsy318, did you figure out the cause of the rattling?? i have these occassional rattling noise from my '93 318i and my mechanic said that i should replace the hydraulic chain tensioner. i'm having it done next week.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah,my 318i is belt driven and not chain driven.i am about to replace the cam,lifters,rockers and spray bar,which should get rid of it, :thumbup: hopefully.will let you know.cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have now fitted my cam kit and all is well....the cam was fu#ked and the oil bar was clogged too....all good now tho.. :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts