BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I dropped my 228i off at LOGINOUT at the Munich Airport last Wednesday (June 28) and came home a couple of days later, on July 1. In the mail on July 1, I got a bill from the Main Customs Office in Munich (all in German), addressed to me, for a Vehicle Tax of 12 Euros, payable by August 28. It seems to relate (at least as to the amount) to the one-month customs license plates. My home address, VIN and other particular information have to have come from BMW. An inquiry with the dealer is pending (no answer likely over the US holiday weekend).

Anybody else seeing this? (The twelve Euros isn't a big deal, I suppose, but making the payment will be.)

·
Registered
74 Posts
My friends in Germany think sending this letter to us is a great use of resources!
(It probably costs more to process and send the letter than the amount the letter is asking for.)

·
Go Dawgs!
1,072 Posts
I dropped my 228i off at LOGINOUT at the Munich Airport last Wednesday (June 28) and came home a couple of days later, on July 1. In the mail on July 1, I got a bill from the Main Customs Office in Munich (all in German), addressed to me, for a Vehicle Tax of 12 Euros, payable by August 28. It seems to relate (at least as to the amount) to the one-month customs license plates. My home address, VIN and other particular information have to have come from BMW. An inquiry with the dealer is pending (no answer likely over the US holiday weekend).

Anybody else seeing this? (The twelve Euros isn't a big deal, I suppose, but making the payment will be.)
We leave for Germany on Sunday, July 3 to pick up our car. We signed our paperwork back in April. Yesterday (Friday, July 1st), my CA calls me in a bit of a panic saying he needs us to sign this form and get it back to him BEFORE we pick up our car. It's a tax form, mentioning this tax, and that it is to be paid by BMW directly. He said that if we didn't get that form signed and submitted before our delivery date, they wouldn't release the car to us. Strange.

My CA said that this form is a new requirement since the time in April that we signed for the car.

This must be an effort to head off the kinds of letter you received. :dunno:

·
just a fool
119 Posts
We leave for Germany on Sunday, July 3 to pick up our car. We signed our paperwork back in April. Yesterday (Friday, July 1st), my CA calls me in a bit of a panic saying he needs us to sign this form and get it back to him BEFORE we pick up our car. It's a tax form, mentioning this tax, and that it is to be paid by BMW directly. He said that if we didn't get that form signed and submitted before our delivery date, they wouldn't release the car to us. Strange.

My CA said that this form is a new requirement since the time in April that we signed for the car.

I am leaving today for pick up on July 4th. Haven't signed any such form. Based on what I've read on multiple threads on this topic, BMW USA advises people to ignore this letter, as the tax is already paid by BMW USA. But now you got me stressed for my plane ride over. :mad:

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
This isn't a tax bill, it's a RECEIPT! Apparently no one reads anything in their Euro Delivery information packet.

In the European Delivery paperwork that you received at BMW Welt, there is a sheet of A4 paper with the title "Preparing your Vehicle for shipment to the U.S". There is a BMW logo in the upper RH corner. It is printed on both sides, on the back side is a paragraph that says:

"German Road Tax Letter - During your check-in process, you will have signed a SEPA-Lastschriftmandat. This is to allow BMW to pay the German Road Tax on your behalf. A few weeks after your delivery, you may receive a letter in the mail from the Hauptzollamt Munchen. This letter is to confirm that the road tax for your vehicle has been paid. We kindly ask that you keep this letter for your records. A sample letter can be found below:

No action is required on your part.

[Image of the Hauptzollamt Munchen letter]​

(Also posted this in the sticky.)

·
Registered
108 Posts
This isn't a tax bill, it's a RECEIPT! Apparently no one reads anything in their Euro Delivery information packet.

In the European Delivery paperwork that you received at BMW Welt, there is a sheet of A4 paper with the title "Preparing your Vehicle for shipment to the U.S". There is a BMW logo in the upper RH corner. It is printed on both sides, on the back side is a paragraph that says:

"German Road Tax Letter - During your check-in process, you will have signed a SEPA-Lastschriftmandat. This is to allow BMW to pay the German Road Tax on your behalf. A few weeks after your delivery, you may receive a letter in the mail from the Hauptzollamt Munchen. This letter is to confirm that the road tax for your vehicle has been paid. We kindly ask that you keep this letter for your records. A sample letter can be found below:

No action is required on your part.

[Image of the Hauptzollamt Munchen letter]​

(Also posted this in the sticky.)
Yes, seem to recall that now. Too much info too far in advance.

Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
609 Posts

It is a new requirement. I signed an ED Power of attorney form and Purchase Order for an August ED and the tax form was included for me to sign as holder. I have attached the form which was in both German and English.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Very interesting posts. I just received this letter from Hauptzollamt Munchen asking for 15 EUR for a 340i that I picked up in Oct. 2015, 17 months ago! Doesn't look like a receipt for a bill already paid by BMW, more like a bill with a deadline and bank number to pay into. I plan to ignore.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts