BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

TAZ , Road trip prep work!

8K views 114 replies 7 participants last post by  taz. 
#1 ·
Like the title says, I'm preparing TAZ, my 520iA, for an aprox 5000km road trip. The Mrs aka The Dungeon Keeper planned our vacation, or better said, HER vacation in such a way that I'll be driving more than I'll be relaxing.
That being acknowledged I decided that brand new front bearings, brakes, polyurethane bushings, integral links, rear bushings and some miscellaneous bits and bobs like tailgate struts and wiper blades were to be fitted. Rest of the suspension was done 2 years ago( front+back complete suspension kits and new socks), oil change and a GB oil and filter change.
I went with *** for bearings, Ate for brake disks, brake fluid and caliper grease, Brembo for the pads and shoes, Lemfroder for the integral links and bushings, Powerflex for polyurethane bushings, Castrol GTX 5W-40 and a complete ZF transmission service kit.
The salty climate of Denmark is taking it's toll on the car even though it sits in the garage. Lots of the bolts were beginning to rust. Obviously headaches were expected and they didn't fail to appear. Patience and perseverance is the key... and reinventing the holy bible of romanian curses. In the end success was achieved.
A few pics.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Blue Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive exterior
Tire Plant Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire
Wheel Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive wheel system Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive wheel system Rim

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

See less See more
#32 ·
Ok.... the next day I rushed from work, made sure that this time I take also the oil pumping device, that I forgot home the previous day and pushed the car inside.
No PS , rock hard steering wheel + a lying around engine on a tire + me being stressed= a big scratch on the front bumper. So the day started amazing.
I checked the oil level, midway on the dipstick after 6 liters. Manual said 6,5 with filter. Installed the O2 sensors, pumped the oil in the transmission, 3 liters, filled pan, started the car ,idled for a couple of min, stopped it and checked again the engine oil which had dropped to the first mark, added 400 ml more. And was perfect. In total 6,4 liters out of 6,5. Added aprox 1,5 liters more in the transmission, ran it through the gears, for 10 sec each, 30s at 2000 rpm to be sure that the TC gets fresh oil also, checked it the temperature to NOT exceed 50°Celsius. Opened the plug, some oil was slightly dripping, but the car was not very flat on had a so slight list to the left.
I said Done. Torqued the plugs 30Nm for the drain plug and 35Nm for the fill plug. Clean everything and checked for leaks. None detected.
The ZF transmission kit came with, oil, magnets, filter, gasket, new plugs and instructions, which I follow precisely.
Oil is ZF Lifeguard fluid and it is engine oil color. Light brown yellow. Reset the adaptations both engine and transmission. Car feels nimble and transmission is smooth. I had a 3,9 % long fuel trim and 0% short fuel trim, on both banks. Up to 5% is considered to be normal from what I know. I would consider a job well done.
Now I will be testing the car for the whole week before driving next Friday.

#37 ·
Some updates... not good ones...
Apparently, according to ZF the 5HP19 takes about 9.2L ( 9.8qrt) of oil, with my 4,5L I'm quite low on oil.
I have a TCC slip code, a catalytic code,
The original O2 sensors never threw that code. I replaced them with ebay ones .
Took the car for a longer ( 400km) test drive yesterday. Clutch was not really locking up, gas mileage went up a little, code was there. Shifting is butter smooth. Topped at 205km/h in D (199 on gps)
I'm gonna check the level again these days.
Still have the bearing grind noise, probably the back ones. After pushing the car in the shop, the PS spit fluid out the reservoir's hole. Since then I have hiccups in PS,( like the belt is slipping) and my servotronic valve is responding with delay. At stand still is smooth, driving is smooth, I brake and take a corner, stiff as ahit and after a couple of sec smooth again.( that was also prior)
Did a test with ista and it says ( no speed signal from the cluster, but it's coded for speed signal from the abs sensor). Any ideas?
Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Sky Water Water resources Plant Plant community

#38 ·
The dreaded o2 sensors are really acting strange. I took some readings with 2 different softwares. INPA and Scanmaster.
From my knowledge the engine runs impeccable.
In Inpa the values for the rear O2 sensors are like they should. In Scanmaster no, one is bound at around 0.125v and the other one is up and down.
Fuel trims are ok.
Last is transmission code
Font Technology Rectangle Multimedia Screenshot
Computer Personal computer Gadget Font Laptop
Computer Personal computer Font Technology Screenshot
Computer Personal computer Font Technology Electronic device
Plant Gas Font Grass Electronic device
Font Rectangle Gas Terrestrial plant Wood
Font Paper Number Document Parallel
Font Number Paper Document Paper product
Font Computer monitor Gadget Display device Screenshot
Plant Font Wood Gas Motor vehicle

#40 ·
Would help if I could, not a screen time kind of enthusiast. I know I need to get there, would help if I could. New 02’s pre cat from FCP helped a lot on my M54, didn’t need a computer to know that. ‘98 M52 still on originals at ~160k miles, no need to mess with them yet as the thing is really nice to float around on. Next on the list is M/T and diff fluid changes. Wait til something breaks.

#42 ·
The funny thing is that the old ones were giving every now and then a signal error, never a CEL. Same engine behavior, even smother.
I have a brand new cat, don't remember which one is it though.
The second one was cut open and checked. No issues. Passed 2 gas inspections with them.
The rear O2 sensors should read about 0.7v , which they do in Inpa, but not in Scanmaster. Engine behavior doesn't with the CeL on but my brain behavior does. Haven't seen that Cel on since I had the car.

#43 ·
In the meantime I went back to the shop, removed the ebay sensors, put back the original ones, checked the transmission oil level and it was low. I add 1,5L more.
In total 6L which is close to what they recommend. No leaks were spotted.
Gave Taz a good clean also, inside and outside. Gave the seats a good scrub, the velvet of the weather strip also. Also found out that rear cup holders are not utterly useless. Tried to take some pictures with the ambi-lights but the S20+ corrects the light to much and was too tired to use pro mode.
Some before pictures[emoji16]
Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Automotive design
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Car seat cover
Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Grey
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Car
Automotive tire Car Vehicle Road surface Motor vehicle
Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive tire

Attachments

#47 ·
Leaving today/tomorrowat around 00:00 ( +01 GMT) and heading for Romania.
There the dungeon keeper has planned a more or less a cross country trip over the month of August.[emoji43] I think it will be close to 10000km then to 5000km. [emoji849]( 2300km is only one way)
I'll will post pics from there also.
We live 10 min from the Baltic Sea in Denmark, the Dungeon Keeper wants to see the Black Sea, which I live 900km from in Romania. [emoji19]

#51 ·
For washing the car, highly NOT recommended products and BRAND were used[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
Pumped the tires, filled the screen wash tanks, checked the wheel bolts, and installed new wipers and tailgate struts.
The old struts and wipers were a couple of months old but simply crap.
Trunk was opening half and had to pushed all the way up and the blades were just scraping on the glass. [emoji2962]
Wood Publication Bookcase Font Shelving
Bottle Plant Liquid Drinkware Table
Bottle Liquid Wine Glass bottle Cylinder

#54 ·
Thanks Jim, mostly July and August. Especially danish, it's a thing for them and I think for all Scandinavia.
Usually we were going for Easter to Romania and Christmas to Poland.
Corona changed a bit things.
In Romania at this point are 40°Celsius (104°F) [emoji3062][emoji3062][emoji3062]

#56 ·
I can share my beer with him... he's family[emoji28]
The Dungeon Keeper is the one that caged me[emoji17], aka the other half[emoji2958][emoji2958][emoji2958], but this is just between us here[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]
I will post updates with pictures and videos also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.