BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anybody that experienced this error from any other source than torque converter seal going bad? Can anybody confirm this can be caused by abs module? I kept getting this code even after replacing the torque converter, but my mechanic kept insisting it's the abs module. I'm not convinced. :dunno:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've learned that TC seal for 5hp19(530 specific) is deep inside the converter and it won't drip outside. Everything I found out about 5hp19 points to the TC itself... I can pretty much work on everything on my car, except the transmission. Very frustrating.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's confirmed p0741 on 5hp19(530 not 525) is purely mechanical/hydraulic failure, as the system has to pass electrical test before tripping the code.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
This problem seems exclusive to E39 530i's. The only true fix is to replace the torque converter since to access the faulty seal the converter would have to be cut open.

I've had this code pop up every few hundred miles for the past 2 years. I've chosen not to fix it because nothing bad has happened except for maybe losing 1mpg because the torque converter isn't locking at highway speeds i.e. rpm is 200 or so higher

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even though 525 also uses 5hp19, it has a different torque converter, and they're less prone to failing. 530i converter is made by sachs, and they never updated the seal material(buna), so new replacements will keep failing. 5hp19 used in audis supposedly have higher converter failure rate than bmw... Converter is supposed to be in full lock up mode over ~75mph, but speed limit in my area won't really allow me to go over 75mph all that often. I'm just going to keep my eyes on atf temp, and change atf often, since it runs hotter from slipping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts