Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found out yesterday that we are having TWINS! It has been a whirlwind of emotions the past two days.

I know all the arguments against keeping the 4Runner, believe me, I feel the same way. I'll give things a few weeks to settle down and see where we are at that time.

The coupe is out regardless but an M3/4, while marginally smaller, is far-and-away the safer vehicle. Suddenly, that is where I find my loyalties lying.

I sincerely appreciate your help and apologize for sending you on a wild goose chase - never saw this coming and it has forced me to re-evaluate my priorities.

I hope the the chance to test the short shifter was enough to make it worth your while at least. I am in your debt.

Thank you.

·
Here since day one
7,182 Posts
Archer,

Are you saying that you were going to get an older 4 door M3 instead using a 4 runner as the main baby hauler or were you thinking about trading in your 3er for one ?

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
How safe are those ol' E46's anyways? If I were looking for a new family hauler (which I am, BTW), I would think that safety would be my #1 priority (funny how your priorities change DRAMATICALLY once the little rat bastids actually arrive!).

In any event, it's the 20-star (4 x 5-star) Ody for us (or maybe the new '03 Sienna (the current one is 19-star rated, but the '03 will be all new, so one would think it'll be at least as good, if not better).

:)

Congrats on the twins Arch--double the fun!

T

·
0 Posts
I occasionally peruse the posts in the Roadfly E46 Lounge and saw your twins announcement a couple of days ago. I immediately had two thoughts: 1- YIKES!! 2- I guess that means the M3 is out

Congratulations!! While I cannot imagine having twins EVER, I'm sure that they will be a huge blessing on your life. Once you have kids, everything else in the world takes on secondary importance (yes, even BMWs).

You know that we use an M3/4 as our family car, but we have only one child (and I'm lobbying to keep it that way ;) ). But she fits just fine in our E36 convertible as well. I don't see any reason why you couldn't do two babies in an M3/4. There's as much room inside as there is in many SUVs. And, IMO, it's cool having a fast car with a child seat in back.

Look at it this way- Many Europeans have multiple children. How many of THEM drive SUVs or minivans? But a similarly nice used S4 Avant might also be a good choice.

I don't mind having looked at that car for you. If nothing else, I learned that I am VERY FAR from being the most insane BMW fanatic out there. This guy makes my interest in BMWs look downright casual.

If anyone reading this is interested in a truly mint condition '99 M3 Coupe (it truly looks like it was never driven) with under 12K miles, 5-spd, every other option plus UUC exhaust and short shifter, Noah car cover, etc, etc, etc. Email Archer or myself and we'll send you this guy's way. It was truly a rare find. It ought to go to a worthy home. The car is currently in Rockville, MD.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Re: Re: TD, the M3 has been put on hold.

Alan F said:
Archer,

Are you saying that you were going to get an older 4 door M3 instead using a 4 runner as the main baby hauler or were you thinking about trading in your 3er for one ?
I was assuming I had only one child on the way. In which case the 330i would have been enough car. I had my eye on a mint '99 E46 M3 to replace the 4Runner as I am not enjoying it.

What a difference a day makes. I'm now having two babies and the 4Runner is looking much better. I really wish I could get my hands on a 330 sport wagon.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Much safer than the 4Runner.

hts said:
How safe are those ol' E46's anyways? If I were looking for a new family hauler (which I am, BTW), I would think that safety would be my #1 priority (funny how your priorities change DRAMATICALLY once the little rat bastids actually arrive!).

In any event, it's the 20-star (4 x 5-star) Ody for us (or maybe the new '03 Sienna (the current one is 19-star rated, but the '03 will be all new, so one would think it'll be at least as good, if not better).

:)

Congrats on the twins Arch--double the fun!
I believe the surest way to survive an accident is to avoid it all-together. That is the logic behind my wanting out of the Runner - just doesn't handle well.

I've never been a fan of minivans but certainly would not steer you away from one. It's all personal preferrence.

Thanks for the congrats!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
An Avant would be great.

TD said:
I occasionally peruse the posts in the Roadfly E46 Lounge and saw your twins announcement a couple of days ago. I immediately had two thoughts: 1- YIKES!! 2- I guess that means the M3 is out

Congratulations!! While I cannot imagine having twins EVER, I'm sure that they will be a huge blessing on your life. Once you have kids, everything else in the world takes on secondary importance (yes, even BMWs).

You know that we use an M3/4 as our family car, but we have only one child (and I'm lobbying to keep it that way ;) ). But she fits just fine in our E36 convertible as well. I don't see any reason why you couldn't do two babies in an M3/4. There's as much room inside as there is in many SUVs. And, IMO, it's cool having a fast car with a child seat in back.

Look at it this way- Many Europeans have multiple children. How many of THEM drive SUVs or minivans? But a similarly nice used S4 Avant might also be a good choice.

I don't mind having looked at that car for you. If nothing else, I learned that I am VERY FAR from being the most insane BMW fanatic out there. This guy makes my interest in BMWs look downright casual.

If anyone reading this is interested in a truly mint condition '99 M3 Coupe (it truly looks like it was never driven) with under 12K miles, 5-spd, every other option plus UUC exhaust and short shifter, Noah car cover, etc, etc, etc. Email Archer or myself and we'll send you this guy's way. It was truly a rare find. It ought to go to a worthy home. The car is currently in Rockville, MD.
YIKES is right! I thought they were going to have to scoop me up off the floor - wow!

After the exitement settles a bit, we will probably look long and hard at safety issues. We feel extremely blessed to be having twins and while safety is priority #1, it doesn't have to mean boring thanks to the Europeans.

We'll see where we stand in a few weeks.

BTW, I honestly hope our nutso friend decides to keep his M3. It's a perfect car and I can tell it means a great deal to him.

·
Here since day one
7,182 Posts
Tom - I understand that having 2 BMW's is a lot of fun but if you ever had a SUV or Minivan, you'd get spoiled very fast by the amount of space you have. We've had a 97 Pathfinder and now the Odyssey and is is incredible how often the car is filled up with stuff. Plus it's just nice to have the comfort of putting your child in the childseat at a normal level without having bend down.

Keep in mind that I have a child/booster in my Coupe at ALL times and I use it at least 2-3 times a week when I drive the 330 with my son or daughter so I know what it's like to put them in and out of the seat. In fact , now it's even getting easier because my son (almost 4) gets into and out of the seat by himself and all I have to do is put the seatbelt on him BUT there is no doubt that the minivan is easier and when I spend the whole day with the kids, it just makes life so much easier.

What's wrong with driving a vehcile that is relatively quick, handles nicely, is extrememly smooth and takes the whole family and then some while still getting around 20mpg around town

It just makes life easy once you get past the whole minivan image thing.

T

·
0 Posts
Alan F said:
Tom - I understand that having 2 BMW's is a lot of fun but if you ever had a SUV or Minivan, you'd get spoiled very fast by the amount of space you have. We've had a 97 Pathfinder and now the Odyssey and is is incredible how often the car is filled up with stuff. Plus it's just nice to have the comfort of putting your child in the childseat at a normal level without having bend down.

Keep in mind that I have a child/booster in my Coupe at ALL times and I use it at least 2-3 times a week when I drive the 330 with my son or daughter so I know what it's like to put them in and out of the seat. In fact , now it's even getting easier because my son (almost 4) gets into and out of the seat by himself and all I have to do is put the seatbelt on him BUT there is no doubt that the minivan is easier and when I spend the whole day with the kids, it just makes life so much easier.

What's wrong with driving a vehcile that is relatively quick, handles nicely, is extrememly smooth and takes the whole family and then some while still getting around 20mpg around town

It just makes life easy once you get past the whole minivan image thing.
I still think it's silly to purchase a small bus to haul around 1 or 2 very small humans. And you simply do not have to take that much stuff with you when you go somewhere with a child. We honestly have never felt tight on space travelling with Meaghan. I guess, like you said, if I had the space I'd use it. But I see that as an argument for never allowing myself to have the space because we clearly don't NEED it. And being used to travelling light makes it easier at your destination as well.

·
Here since day one
7,182 Posts
TD said:

I still think it's silly to purchase a small bus to haul around 1 or 2 very small humans. And you simply do not have to take that much stuff with you when you go somewhere with a child. We honestly have never felt tight on space travelling with Meaghan. I guess, like you said, if I had the space I'd use it. But I see that as an argument for never allowing myself to have the space because we clearly don't NEED it. And being used to travelling light makes it easier at your destination as well.
How did you get that Huge Box home when you buy her that little plastic house for the backyard ??
How do you fit that huge battery powered Jeep from toys r us and get that home ??

Don't tell me you get it delivered because that's not fair that she has to wait for her new toys !!

BTW if you search the bimmer.org archives, you & I had this same exact conversation before (heh heh heh)

The funny thing is, I never give up trying to convince you :D :D

On your side, I will say that most of the time that huge space is not needed but how about the fact that you don't have to bend over and hurt your back when you buckle her in.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Alan F said:

How did you get that Huge Box home when you buy her that little plastic house for the backyard ??
How do you fit that huge battery powered Jeep from toys r us and get that home ??
Uuummmmm, you call up Hertz/Avis/Enterprise/U-Haul and rent a truck/van/SUV? You borrow one from a friend? :dunno:

·
Here since day one
7,182 Posts
cenotaph said:

Uuummmmm, you call up Hertz/Avis/Enterprise/U-Haul and rent a truck/van/SUV? You borrow one from a friend? :dunno:

SHHHH . . . don't give Tom any good idea's ;)

T

·
0 Posts
cenotaph said:

Actually, you simply order the stuff online and have it shipped. I hate actually going into stores. Whenever I'm free (as in not at work) so is everyone else. And places are madhouses.

So, I tend to shop online in the late evening after Meaghan is asleep. And I just have the stuff delivered.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Alan F said:
That's what the Touring is for :thumb: Now, if they only made an M version.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts