Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I have to get the Technology Pkg if I want the full navigation on the center screen? Because I don't need any of the other items that come with the package. I just want full navigation, nothing else. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Do I have to get the Technology Pkg if I want the full navigation on the center screen? Because I don't need any of the other items that come with the package. I just want full navigation, nothing else. Thanks guys!
According to the BMW web site, the $1200 Navigation Business option includes a 6.5" display whereas the Technology Package includes a 8.8" display and a version of the navigation system that includes a few more capabilities. You can do a better comparison using the Build Your Own function on the BMWUSA site.

·
Registered
232 Posts
You can pay the $1200 for just the nav as posted above. The tech package is $2,550. The extra $1,300 is WELL worth it if you're going to buy the basic nav.

For the extra $1,350 you get:

• HUD (Well worth it! Nav directions also appear in the HUD)
  • Bigger Screen (it's a bigger difference than you might think)
  • Real time traffic for 4 years
  • Remote services for 4 years (lock, unlock, remote ventillate, send addreses to the nav from your PC or phone)
  • Bigger iDrive knob with finger writing (finger writing is not a big deal, but the bigger knob is nice)
  • Extended display on the instrument cluster (bottom right of the cluster)
There are some other things like voice control and the addition of the console phone dock, the bullets were well worth the extra $1,350 for me.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Just run Waze on your cell phone if the other package features don't appeal to you. In-car based nav systems are obsolete compared to what the apps offer. I have nav in my 5 series, never use it, didn't get it on this X1.

·
gdyear78
99 Posts
I have navigation business in mine (purchased off the lot and came with it) and find I often use Waze instead. Save your money, it's a waste. Also have a 2 series convertible and purposely ordered through ED program without navigation and loaded up with everything else.

It's totally up to you, what is important? I would rather spend my money on the HK speakers, nicer rims, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have navigation business in mine (purchased off the lot and came with it) and find I often use Waze instead. Save your money, it's a waste. Also have a 2 series convertible and purposely ordered through ED program without navigation and loaded up with everything else.

It's totally up to you, what is important? I would rather spend my money on the HK speakers, nicer rims, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
I totally agree. I have the same and frequently run Waze and the nav at the same time just for kicks. Waze almost always shows a faster route and when I follow it the nav eventually catches up.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
531 Posts
No. You can buy a magnetic visor mount for your phone and elevate to a more visible level. The spoken directions come through the bluetooth.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you settle for the Business Nav option there is still good functionality (I have a US X1 M-Sport):

- You still get Real Time Traffic information

- There is a way (even with the 6.5 inch screen) to set both the map (on the left) and detailed lane guidance (on the right). This is how I use it. maybe I'm old, but 6.5 inch is big enough for me.

and, I'm with the others, if you are in a good cell coverage area, Smartphone Apps are always going to be ahead of what cars can offer AND the maps are updated more consistently.

What I do miss with the tech package is the detailed Dash Display.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you settle for the Business Nav option there is still good functionality (I have a US X1 M-Sport):

- You still get Real Time Traffic information

- There is a way (even with the 6.5 inch screen) to set both the map (on the left) and detailed lane guidance (on the right). This is how I use it. maybe I'm old, but 6.5 inch is big enough for me.

and, I'm with the others, if you are in a good cell coverage area, Smartphone Apps are always going to be ahead of what cars can offer AND the maps are updated more consistently.

What I do miss with the tech package is the detailed Dash Display.
How do I split the screen with the Business Nav? It doesn't give me that option on the 6.5 (2016)

·
Registered
128 Posts
How do I split the screen with the Business Nav? It doesn't give me that option on the 6.5 (2016)
I'll have to go down to my X1 to look at the screen setting, which won't be until tonight. I discovered it totally by accident since BMW doesn't publish any sort of usable iDrive manual.

I'll post back after I find the right menu settings.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Okay, in navigation view:

- go to 'Map Content' (bottom block), click

- next go to third block 'Arrow display on map', click

A black block should show up on the right side of the screen that gives both lane guidance, arrows, current street and distance to turn and next street. I'll try to post photos

·
Registered
112 Posts
@gramschatz. Thanks!! I never noticed that because if you are not navigating to a destination it does not appear

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
Okay, in navigation view:

- go to 'Map Content' (bottom block), click

- next go to third block 'Arrow display on map', click

A black block should show up on the right side of the screen that gives both lane guidance, arrows, current street and distance to turn and next street. I'll try to post photos
Just to be clear, this is different than the split screen options on the bigger display. The bigger display allows NAV + Radio, Nav + trip computer, etc.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts