Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend I took my daughter to the Street Survival class hosted by Houston BMWCCA. It was $75 and 9 hours well-spent. She had a blast and (I think) learned a lot about the limits of the car and herself and those other drivers on the roads that we generally refer to as #$%&!! idiots. The classroom and track instructors were great and the now my baby girl is wanting to autocross.....

·
IntarWeb Stalker
10,068 Posts
So you got her into wanting to do a risky/dangerous event driving cars at high speeds? Good job dad!

j/k - glad she had a good time. So when are you giving her the 328?

·
Cruising 280 Top Down
6,089 Posts
AutoX isn't that dangerous. Just you and some cones!

·
Don't Judge Me!
4,429 Posts
I wish I had a dad like you nosnurB.... I still don't know how to parallel park! :mad::mad:

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Some places you never have to parallel park.

·
Worlds Foremost Authority
15,956 Posts
Very good idea to teach a new driver car control.

Most drivers only experience with a skid was the one just before they crashed.

CA

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So you got her into wanting to do a risky/dangerous event driving cars at high speeds? Good job dad!

j/k - glad she had a good time. So when are you giving her the 328?
We have two terrific girls, a girly-girl and a tomboy. I think our tomboy would enjoy driving a MT and I always liked the 330 coupe, so ....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I left off my original point, which was that I thought it was a good experience for any new driver and not just fun. About half of the kids said that they were there because Mom/Dad made them come, but everyone left as a better driver and with a big grin, even the ones driving the boats like Suburbans and Rovers. One gal was driving a Nissan Frontier and doing it pretty well. I don't know anywhere else that a kid is going to find out how to avoid deer, kids on bikes, objects falling off trucks, etc. The instructors reinforced a lot of the advice that I have been offering my girls about driving which I picked up mainly in Motorcycle Safety Foundation classes, which have made me a better (more alert) driver and rider. I would encourage any parent who can get their new driver to a class to do so. It might save a life. End of sermon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts