Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
For some cars, Subaru in particular, it is the bomb. For my beemer, I'm going with MHD, which provides the same features and more for a small fraction of the price.

BTW, $500 is barely below full retail.

·
Hat's On, Tops Down!
1,391 Posts
I don't know about other cars, but Cobb no longer supports tunes for BMW's. MHD so much easier than both JB4 and Cobb. So that is where all the "Tuners" turned. :thumbup:

You can pickup Cobb's for cheap, I know of one right now for just $250 dollars with what the owner claims are really good tunes on it.

Just watch who you get your tunes from and make sure you do all your maintenance.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2017 M2 and 2017 Mustang
2,576 Posts
I have Cobb, and it works very well, but if I were to start from scratch again I would go with MHD. BTW $500 is way too much.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. Going with the MHD. Out of curiosity (there is probably a 20 page faq about this somewhere)
.. is there a bulk tune package or is it $49 per tune? That part isnt very clear on their website. And are there free tunes available? What is the $69 monitoring thing about and do you need it if you just want to flash your ecu and drive?

·
RLTW
564 Posts
Thanks everyone. Going with the MHD. Out of curiosity (there is probably a 20 page faq about this somewhere)
.. is there a bulk tune package or is it $49 per tune? That part isnt very clear on their website. And are there free tunes available? What is the $69 monitoring thing about and do you need it if you just want to flash your ecu and drive?
The maps packs are segregated by what upgrades you've done to your car. For instance, Stage 1 is for a otherwise stock car and will contain 6 maps broken down by the fuel you're using, i.e. 91 oct, 93 oct, so it will work in a wide variety of locations. Stage 1+, upgraded IC, Stage 2 downpipes, and so on.

Highly recommend the monitoring add-on. Lets you log a variety of parameters to keep track of how the engine is performing, problems that may need to be addressed. I personally wouldn't run a tune without this ability.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Without spending the $49 does it come with any basic tunes, and is there a database or forum where people are sharing tunes?

·
RLTW
564 Posts
Thanks. Without spending the $49 does it come with any basic tunes, and is there a database or forum where people are sharing tunes?
No tunes included with just the flasher module. You might be able to google around and find something free, the problem with that is you have absolutely zero idea of what was actually done inside that tune unless you know how to use software like TunerPro, open the tune and see what tables are changed and what they're changed to. Reputable tuners lock their maps so people can't rip off their work. Word of advice, spend the $49. MHD maps are tested and proven. If you're willing to take a chance smoking your motor trying to save $49 your car isn't long for this world.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No tunes included with just the flasher module. You might be able to google around and find something free, the problem with that is you have absolutely zero idea of what was actually done inside that tune unless you know how to use software like TunerPro, open the tune and see what tables are changed and what they're changed to. Reputable tuners lock their maps so people can't rip off their work. Word of advice, spend the $49. MHD maps are tested and proven. If you're willing to take a chance smoking your motor trying to save $49 your car isn't long for this world.
Wasnt looking for "free" tunes... just wondering if it's like the motorcycle forums where people share and trade tunes that's all.

·
RLTW
564 Posts
Wasnt looking for "free" tunes... just wondering if it's like the motorcycle forums where people share and trade tunes that's all.
I know what you mean but 99% of the stuff out there is VIN locked. If it's not locked then its someone cooking up their own tune, not necessarily a bad thing, but you need the technical ability to differentiate between good and potentially disastrous.

There's just too much variation between models, mods, maintenance, transmissions, fuel, etc. for tune swapping to work generally. And unless you know what kind of timing, fueling, boost targets, load targets...are in that tune and how it relates to your particular situation, it's a recipe for disaster.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bimmerfest mobile app

1 - 11 of 11 Posts