BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i was browsing through autotrader the other day and came across a 2003 325i with
17,989 miles for $12,000 it had pictures and car looked in excellent condition. so i figured it was a typo. i emailed the guy and it was no typo. here is the response that i got....

just tell me if this sounds fishy to anyone. by the way the shipping does not apply because we both live in newyork ---->

Hello there,

First of all I want to thank you for contact me and your interest in my BMW. I know there are numerous offers and I'm glad that you choose to contact me regarding your willingness to purchase.My wife was recently promoted so we had to move in Irlanda. We brought the
car with us, wanting to register it here, but I couldn't because in order to get it registered here it will need serious engine modifications to comply with the EU emission standards. The car is bought from US and is made for US market. So that is why I preffer to sell it quick now and get rid of it while I still can, because time is running and I can't keep it like that, there is a deadline term when I must pay the import tax, so I can't afford to lose time and I prefer to make some money while I still can.
The car is like new, completely working,low miles, 2003 model, with 3 years EXTENDED, INTERNATIONAL and TRANSFERABLE warranty, which will be honored at any dealer in your country. It is US model with US specs and passed the US test emissions. All the manuals and the original documentation are written in eight languages. The title is clear and you will register it in your state. It will come with all the papers (warranty, insurance etc. ...).
The payment is fully refundable, if for any reason you do not accept the car or if it has scratches, hidden defects, or it is not as advertised. I will even pay for the shipping back to my location if you reject it but since it is a state of the art vehicle and works and looks perfectly I am positive it would not get to this.
PLEASE TELL ME HOW YOU WANT TO CLOSE THIS DEAL WITH ME,you want to come
and gett the car your self or you want to close this deal with me trougth square trade.I am a registered member with Square Trade and I have completed a lot of successful deals using them. I have a purchase protection account of $20,000 and I assume you know what this means. If you did not hear about Square Trade here are their terms: if you will not receive the car EXACTLY as advertised or you don't receive it in 15 days since you made the deposit,
Square Trade will refund you from my Square Trade account.
The price I want to obtain for it is $12,000(With shipping included if we will close thios deal trougth square trade).

Thank you

here is the vin given by the way WBAET37443NJ28611

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds like it was maybe stolen- most of those guys know exactly where all of the VINS are located on each vehicle and are now pretty sophisticated at cleaning the paperwork up and reselling them- however, listing a 'free lunch' like that so obviously on auto-trader?- would't that raise some question? On second though- if someone was scamming- wouldn't they list at fair value in order to appear legit?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I assume from that description that the car is not somewhere that you can get your hands on it to test drive it or examine it.

While some people have bought cars remotely (via eBay, etc.), I would never buy a pig in a poke (sight unseen) when that kind of money is involved.

I have heard of these deals where the car (or motorcycle, or other pricey item) is somewhere it can't be examined and the seller offers to use some kind of escrow service, but the escrow service turns out to be fake and dissapears not long after the deal is consumated (and I use that word intentionally as the buyer is the one getting screwed here).

Unless you can get your hands on the car, and are willing to go through the hassle of importing it back yourself, I would pass this one up - and even then I would be very cautious.

·
Who, me?
2,733 Posts
Adventure Rider said:
I assume from that description that the car is not somewhere that you can get your hands on it to test drive it or examine it.

While some people have bought cars remotely (via eBay, etc.), I would never buy a pig in a poke (sight unseen) when that kind of money is involved.

I have heard of these deals where the car (or motorcycle, or other pricey item) is somewhere it can't be examined and the seller offers to use some kind of escrow service, but the escrow service turns out to be fake and dissapears not long after the deal is consumated (and I use that word intentionally as the buyer is the one getting screwed here).

Unless you can get your hands on the car, and are willing to go through the hassle of importing it back yourself, I would pass this one up - and even then I would be very cautious.
Get real... There is NO car.. It is a scam, pure and simple... Out of the country? That should have been your first clue..

·
Registered
234 Posts
kyfdx said:
Get real... There is NO car.. It is a scam, pure and simple... Out of the country? That should have been your first clue..
There are actual cars out there being sold in this manner - I know people who go to Europe to buy cars to bring back here (I even know a guy in Germany who is looking to buy a US spec car there because he is coming back here soon), but it is probably safer to assume that there is indeed no car - I don't think anybody has any doubts about that.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,227 Posts
kyfdx said:
My gut tells me that this is probably a "phantom vehicle"....
War story:
A friend was looking on e-Bay for a laptop, and found a *great* deal....upon checking on the "Seller`s other auctions", he noticed that the seller also had several other laptops, Rolex watches, etc. for sale....the guy`s feedback was all good, but all his previous auctions had been for inexpensive items....smelling a rat, my friend obtained the seller`s contact info from e-Bay,called the phone number listed, and spoke to the "legitimate" owner of the account, who was shocked to learn that his account had been hijacked.

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Freude am Fahren
682 Posts
icy_m said:
First of all I want to thank you for contact me and your interest in my BMW. I know there are numerous offers and I'm glad that you choose to contact me regarding your willingness to purchase. My wife was recently promoted so we had to move in Irlanda.
Where the heck is "Irlanda"? :dunno:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
thanks for the comments. i emailed him again i actually thought the car was in new york because in autotrader it says that it is 30 miles from me in ny but it is actually in ireland from what he says and he did spell ireland correctly the second time around. i guess i won't be getting a second bimmer for a great deal. i'm not going to chance it.

thanks to everyone i was skeptical to begin with but i guess i was being a little gullable thinking this is for real. if anyone wants to take their chances though i will give u his email address.

·
Registered
852 Posts
As DK says, this is definately a scam. To make it clearer, from the liks above:

* a car in Greece ( or any other overseas country )
* free shipping
* send cash ( usually by Wester Union wire transfer)
* buy through Square Trade
* time is a 'real issue'

These are all Red Flags !
Good for you for recognizing them !

Of course there is no car and the scammer could really be anywhere in the world, hoping to reel in someone who falls for his totally made up story.

You buy on eBay and pay via PayPal.

SquareTrade is a 3rd Party Mediation Service and is not eBay.

Let me repeat that last part:

MEDIATION SERVICE

They do not help facilitate payments in anyway and do not vouch for the honesty of buyers or sellers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts