BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Thinking about ED #5
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car was in the shop for 2 weeks, largely because I couldn't get up to the dealer to pick it up. Had a brand new 535xi as a loaner. Well I finally got my car back today and I strongly noticed something because I'd been driving the loaner for 2 weeks. On my 335 (and not on the loaner) I have about 3/4 of an inch of 'play' to move the steering wheel in either direction before the car reacts. The steering is just loose. Whereas on the 535xi the car's steering was tight on center, as it should be. Thoughts? (i.e. is some play normal or not? and do you think the dealer is going to be able to do anything or not?) I do not have active steering and my car is not an xi.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Are you sure they didn't give you a Mercedes back instead of a BMW? j/k My 335 does not have 3/4 inch play in the steering wheel. Go test drive a 335 from another dealership and see if there is a difference.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,826 Posts
You say your 335i was in the shop for a couple weeks? How long have you had the car? How was the steering behaving before you took it in for service? Was the service related to the steering? I have about zero steering play on my '08 335i. Something is wrong with yours.

·
Thinking about ED #5
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
It was in the shop to have the aero kit installed, I just didn't notice the steering issue until after I'd had another car to drive for 2.5 weeks. Appreciate all the responses guys. I'm embarassed to say that I've had my car for 10 months; but better late than never I guess.

·
Registered
528 Posts
There is no play.. but it does feel that way since the first 3/4 of an inch movement is lighter and requires less effort than moving the wheel further than that..
so maybe that's why yuo feel that it's loose on center now

·
Thinking about ED #5
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In my area it takes 2-3 weeks to get a service appointment. Bottom line I'm taking it in on the 16th, so I'll update after that. Definitely f'd up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts