BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question...hoping some one can give me some direction...

I just got a new ride which I love...I had the smallest BMW (Isetta) and now I have added one of the biggest - 85' E23 Black on Tan with 55k original miles... amazing machine!

Both my fuel gauge and my tempature gauge are pinned all the way over to the right.

Occasionally the temp gauge will snap out of its bad behavior and go to where it should be, but not too often.

I have had a temp meter on the engine and its running at a normal temp, so I know Im not overheating..

Any ideas - bad temp sensor, bad gauges, bad fuel sending unit???

Thanks in advance and look forward to E23-ing with you all...

WG

·
Gearhead
688 Posts
Welcome to the world of E23. I would clean your connections at the temperature switch and the sending unit. 30+ years can make the connections cruddy.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the idea, tried it this weekend and no luck. Wire brushed the little connections.

For the price of a new sensor I figured why not and so ordered a temp sensor. So we'll see how that does.

I also was able to get the cluster out and clean connections there and all looked good as far as I can tell. Did get to re-place a bulb which I found blown out and now the cluster lights up real nice at night!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts