BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2004 x3, 2.5i.
When I'm driving, the temp gauge stays center, but when i stop and put it in park, it'll be a few seconds but it will start climbing up. It jumps like half a centimeter at a time until it reaches red. Anyone have a clue what's going on?

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Sounds like an airflow restriction. Check for debris cloging the front of the radiator/condenser. Then check fan operation.

A quick check on the fans -- turn on your AC while idling. Fans come on and temperature go down? Let us know.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Since your vehicle has an automatic transmission, it should have two radiator cooling fans. One fan is electric, and it is in front of the radiator (behind the grille). The other fan is engine driven, and it is behind the radiator.

Welcome to BimmerFest!

:drive:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since your vehicle has an automatic transmission, it should have two radiator cooling fans. One fan is electric, and it is in front of the radiator (behind the grille). The other fan is engine driven, and it is behind the radiator.

Welcome to BimmerFest!

So I looked, and it has the "threading" for the engine driven fan, but there is no fan on it. I have the electrical fan and thats it. Should I order an engine driven fan? Lol

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
All E83 have just the 1 electrical fan (to avoid detracting from engine performance).

You should see fan spin up briefly on startup or anytime the AC is on regardless of engine temp. If it doesn't, you have isolated your problem to the fan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All E83 have just the 1 electrical fan (to avoid detracting from engine performance).

You should see fan spin up briefly on startup or anytime the AC is on regardless of engine temp. If it doesn't, you have isolated your problem to the fan.
Thank you. This is what I suspected because I found no engine fan for this model. So I was wondering if it was the fan switch, relay or God forbid, the fan itself which is not cheap. I'll def look into it tomorrow.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
And be sure to look for effluent blocking airflow, like a bunch of dead bugs. Or even a piece of cardboard someone put in there to warm up the vehicle in very cold weather (old trick in the far north).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And be sure to look for effluent blocking airflow, like a bunch of dead bugs. Or even a piece of cardboard someone put in there to warm up the vehicle in very cold weather (old trick in the far north).
I noticed my fan is not coming on when my A/C is on. It's just not kicking on at all. Could be a fuse? Where is the fuse located? Could be fan clutch? Maybe the plug that connects the fan to the wires(fan switch).
I had also noticed my Disa Valve was making a noise and by pulling it sideways, the noise stopped. So there's a vacuum leak there and it also has a rattling noise coming from it. So im going to replace it.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,253 Posts
Electric fan clutch, no. Fan switch, no. AC control module controls the fan.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Thank you. This is what I suspected because I found no engine fan for this model. So I was wondering if it was the fan switch, relay or God forbid, the fan itself which is not cheap. I'll def look into it tomorrow.
Thanks
Sorry for the bad advice. I thought the X3 was similar to 3-Series sedan on the radiator fans. My E83 is manual transmission, so I did not have an automatic transmission model to check. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The AC in the car works awesome, just when I get going on the road, and not really when I'm relatively stationary. So I know that the fan has a role in how the AC works. But it's just not coming on at all. The fan is either not getting power, or the motor doesn't work in it. I'm taking it to an alternative BMW shop which is run by a BMW Master Technician. He's gonna look over it and find the issue for free and then quote me to fix it.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
OK, but, you really shouldn't be running it without a working fan. Engine damage is likely, if not already, e.g., warped head. On these older X3s, that's pretty much a death sentence for the vehicle, economics-wise.

If you are at all mechanically inclined, the fan is "easy" to replace -- read the threads on here. Get ready for a $1200 estimate if by a shop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks. I've learned to use a voltage tester lol the wire that plugs into the fan has voltage(is live) so I know that it's good. I pulled the fan out and seen that it's not even OEM. But a "depo" fan, p/n 344-55011-120, which is a cheap version and prob why its not working. I see bad reviews on this fan where it just quits. I read on that and it's supposedly caused by the incorrect wattage that the fan is. Would you guys happen to know what wattage my AC Fan needs for the car?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts