BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Temp Sensor Reads -40F

760 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  cn90
ve read the post but my question is I know where this is and have another problem! I had one ripped off my car, so I replaced it with a new sesor and rewired it back on but it still read -40? I disconnected it and it still reads -40?

What is the problem still? Can it being ripped off cause the wiring to be damaged or is there another area I need to fix or look at?

I had a guy rewire it again and it still shows -40? What are we not doing right and can someone asvise me.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
when i first purchased my e39 the temp sensor was missing as well. When i got around to installing it i drove around for 15-20 minutes while the sensor was recalibrating, slowly the numbers where climbing from -40. Perhaps this is what is needed for your e39 as well, but again i have much older model then yours so not sure how it works on yours.
I have been driving it for a few weeks now and it never changes? So recaliber is not my problem here?
You still have a bad connection from the wires to the sensor.
Okay so how do I figure this out? Where do I trouble shoot this bas connection? Do I need a wire meter reader? Advise.
If you unplug the sensor and then short the wires together the reading should start to move towards 20F, or at least off of -40.
If you have a meter you could read the resistance of the probe. Don't remember what it should read but if you hold the tip the resistance will go down. If its bad it won't read anything.
Okay so how do I figure this out? Where do I trouble shoot this bas connection? Do I need a wire meter reader? Advise.
The car needs to be driven so the computer can "recognize" the new sensor.

BTW, move it up a bit to avoid another $40 hit in your pocket. This is what I did:

-The factory location is prone to curbside damage, so I relocated the temp sensor upward a bit (in the same area as the Air Pump) to avoid repeat damage. I did this in 2006 and so far so good:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.