BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any way to tell when the engine hits operating temperature????

2010 X5 35d Diesel....

Dealership Shop Foreman claims there is a 'ring' around the tach, but I haven't noticed anything...

Thx

A

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
No, there is no obvious indication of when the engine reaches operating temperature. You can unlock the Board Computer to go into the Diagnostic mode where there will be a digital readout of the engine temp.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can unlock the Board Computer to go into the Diagnostic mode where there will be a digital readout of the engine temp.
Do tell....

I hadn't seen anything for the X70 unlock, but will search a bit more diligently....

A

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
It's exactly the same as the process for most BMWs.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Although I am told that "BMWs don't have these any more", my 2010 X5 owners manual shows two different configurations- one with an oil temp gauge and one with an 'instantaneous fuel consumption gauge', called an "Energy Control" (Moronic...but I digress)

Wonder where one gets that....

·
Registered
270 Posts
Although I am told that "BMWs don't have these any more", my 2010 X5 owners manual shows two different configurations- one with an oil temp gauge and one with an 'instantaneous fuel consumption gauge', called an "Energy Control" (Moronic...but I digress)

That instantaneous fuel consumption guage is a joke. It is in place of a digital instant fuel use option between the guages along with average mpg... I noted the digital absence during a test drive and saw the useless instant dial gauge...

·
Registered
203 Posts

It's probably because the manual is for X5/X6 and the X6 gets the 3.0TT. My 335 had the temp gauge because of the engine. If it hadn't been for early 335's overheating they probably wouldn't put it in there either.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's probably because the manual is for X5/X6 and the X6 gets the 3.0TT. My 335 had the temp gauge because of the engine. If it hadn't been for early 335's overheating they probably wouldn't put it in there either.
Right, but when the shop foreman tells you that "All BMWs no longer have a gauge" like you are a moron or something...and then the manual shows one, and it turns out some BMWs do, in fact, have the gauge, you kind of get annoyed....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Right, but when the shop foreman tells you that "All BMWs no longer have a gauge" like you are a moron or something...and then the manual shows one, and it turns out some BMWs do, in fact, have the gauge, you kind of get annoyed....
Yeah I get ya. They are not that bright sometimes. When I ordered my X5, I was told by everyone in the dealership that ALL X5's come with bluetooth standard. I had to point it out to them by walking them to a stripped down 35d and asking them to turn on the bluetooth for me.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts