BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

Due to work I need to move to Canada for 1 year, there are still 34 months left on my lease. When i signed the lease the dealer told me there’s no problem taking the car to Canada for a year, but once I got the car and talked to BMW FS, they said no.

Now I really don’t know what to do…has anyone did same thing before? How should I argue with BMW to get the permission?

thanks a lot guys

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
3,465 Posts
Yikes. Sorry to hear.
I’m not sure you have any action here. I don’t have experience here BUT per most lease stipulations you need written consent from your leasing company no matter who that is.
Any idea what the early lease cancellation fee is? Maybe talk to an attorney? Not with malicious intent but I’m guessing an attorney would get the best results if anybody.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yikes. Sorry to hear.
I’m not sure you have any action here. I don’t have experience here BUT per most lease stipulations you need written consent from your leasing company no matter who that is.
Any idea what the early lease cancellation fee is? Maybe talk to an attorney? Not with malicious intent but I’m guessing an attorney would get the best results if anybody.
Yeah I’m thinking about talking to an attorney too… the only option Bmw fs give me is payoff, which is way more than the vehicles msrp.

I just got the car for two weeks man… this is crazy… I confirmed with dealer about moving to Canada for one year and they said no issue…

I read that Audi seems allowing that given prepaying a few months lease… so I didn’t give much thought about bmw given the dealer said no problem :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi guys!

Due to work I need to move to Canada for 1 year, there are still 34 months left on my lease. When i signed the lease the dealer told me there’s no problem taking the car to Canada for a year, but once I got the car and talked to BMW FS, they said no.

Now I really don’t know what to do…has anyone did same thing before? How should I argue with BMW to get the permission?

thanks a lot guys
This is not a surprise because they are the real owner of your car and they want to have access in any event there is a problem. Furthermore the US car doesn't meet the full compliance of Canada and would have to be register there. The longest you can use a foreign registered car in another country is 6 months.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is not a surprise because they are the real owner of your car and they want to have access in any event there is a problem. Furthermore the US car doesn't meet the full compliance of Canada and would have to be register there. The longest you can use a foreign registered car in another country is 6 months.
yeah I’m just really pissed the dealer told me it’s doable and then BMW fs said they can’t.

·
Glfbggy
1,069 Posts
yeah I’m just really pissed the dealer told me it’s doable and then BMW fs said they can’t.
I am a frequent browser of a timeshare forum. The common saying in that forum is, if it is not in writing it is not true. If you have it in writing then BMW FS will need to work with the dealer to figure it out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am a frequent browser of a timeshare forum. The common saying in that forum is, if it is not in writing it is not true. If you have it in writing then BMW FS will need to work with the dealer to figure it out.
shit…yeah it’s not in writing. I was naive when the dealer said it’s fine. Now they are denying they said so

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
8,258 Posts
Random thoughts:
  1. When are you moving to CA? Are you sure you (let alone your car) will even be allowed in the country? Trudeau did a TERRIBLE job getting vaccines and parts of Canada are still on total lockdown. I have agricultural clients who have to deliver crops to Canada, and they tell me the border is a sh*t show - the regular Customs / Border Patrol has been replaced by Public Health officers.
  2. You say you are going "for work". Are you an independent contractor or an employee? If an employee, your employer should handle all these details. You're likely not the only employee who will be impacted.
  3. When you think about it, I understand BMWFS's reluctance. If you default on your lease payments, they can't easily repo your car. BMWFS is not the bad guy here.
  4. I understand you being upset with the dealer, but he or she followed the time honored practice of salespeople everywhere: When a prospect asks a question to which you don't know the answer, MAKE SHYTE UP.
  5. The answer was right there, in black-and-white, in the contract you signed. Section 18 on Page 3 of 6 states:
"I agree not to use (or permit others to use) the vehicle ... (d) outside the United States except for less than 30 days in Canada."

If you did not know you were moving to Canada when you signed the lease, that truly sucks; but your employer should make you whole. OTOH if you DID know, you should have read the lease contract you signed, rather than trusting your salesperson to give you good advice. It may be an expensive lesson, but ultimately you caused this problem.

I think you have several options:
  • Lease assumption through Swapalease, Lease Trader or Leasehackr. Chip shortages have made it very hard for folks to configure new BMW's to their liking, and you may find someone willing to assume your lease.
  • Transfer the lease to a family member, friend or co-worker who will transfer it back to you when you return.
  • Put it on a trickle charger for the time you are in Canada, then drive the snot out of it when you are home on holidays, and after your tour of duty. Ultimately that's going to be cheaper than an attorney (and given the black-and-white provisions of the contract you signed, you would just be p*ssing away $$$ if you lawyer up).
  • Park the car in a bad part of town with the keys in it, let it be stolen and totalled, and let the GAP insurance work its magic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Random thoughts:
  1. When are you moving to CA? Are you sure you (let alone your car) will even be allowed in the country? Trudeau did a TERRIBLE job getting vaccines and parts of Canada are still on total lockdown. I have agricultural clients who have to deliver crops to Canada, and they tell me the border is a sh*t show - the regular Customs / Border Patrol has been replaced by Public Health officers.
  2. You say you are going "for work". Are you an independent contractor or an employee? If an employee, your employer should handle all these details. You're likely not the only employee who will be impacted.
  3. When you think about it, I understand BMWFS's reluctance. If you default on your lease payments, they can't easily repo your car. BMWFS is not the bad guy here.
  4. I understand you being upset with the dealer, but he or she followed the time honored practice of salespeople everywhere: When a prospect asks a question to which you don't know the answer, MAKE SHYTE UP.
  5. The answer was right there, in black-and-white, in the contract you signed. Section 18 on Page 3 of 6 states:
"I agree not to use (or permit others to use) the vehicle ... (d) outside the United States except for less than 30 days in Canada."

If you did not know you were moving to Canada when you signed the lease, that truly sucks; but your employer should make you whole. OTOH if you DID know, you should have read the lease contract you signed, rather than trusting your salesperson to give you good advice. It may be an expensive lesson, but ultimately you caused this problem.

I think you have several options:
  • Lease assumption through Swapalease, Lease Trader or Leasehackr. Chip shortages have made it very hard for folks to configure new BMW's to their liking, and you may find someone willing to assume your lease.
  • Transfer the lease to a family member, friend or co-worker who will transfer it back to you when you return.
  • Put it on a trickle charger for the time you are in Canada, then drive the snot out of it when you are home on holidays, and after your tour of duty. Ultimately that's going to be cheaper than an attorney (and given the black-and-white provisions of the contract you signed, you would just be p*ssing away $$$ if you lawyer up).
  • Park the car in a bad part of town with the keys in it, let it be stolen and totalled, and let the GAP insurance work its magic.
Thanks man… truly lesson learned…

My company helps me do all the paper work for house goods and visa, but just not the car. I understand the concern of bmwfs but was kind pissed by the dealer.

I thought is was okay given that I first went to Mercedes and the manager said it’s okay as people are doing that all the time, and then bmw sales person also said so (I did mention 1 year). The Canadian border control also have a section dedicated to leased vehicle on their website, and the contact person sent me requirements on leased vehicles. So I didn’t give much thought about finding the section in the lease contract (as I never thought such requirement would be in the contact). I simply assumed it’s a common practice. Have to admit I should’ve done more research, or at least have the dealer give me written confirmation that it’s fine to do so.

Hard lesson learned. I tried posting my car but people would like me to waive the MSDs (understandably given it has such a long term left), which would make me loose a lot of money.

I’ll probably find a friend or colleague who can take my lease for one year. I like your last recommendation lol but it would break my heart.

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
1,173 Posts
Thanks man… truly lesson learned…

My company helps me do all the paper work for house goods and visa, but just not the car. I understand the concern of bmwfs but was kind pissed by the dealer.

I thought is was okay given that I first went to Mercedes and the manager said it’s okay as people are doing that all the time, and then bmw sales person also said so (I did mention 1 year). The Canadian border control also have a section dedicated to leased vehicle on their website, and the contact person sent me requirements on leased vehicles. So I didn’t give much thought about finding the section in the lease contract (as I never thought such requirement would be in the contact). I simply assumed it’s a common practice. Have to admit I should’ve done more research, or at least have the dealer give me written confirmation that it’s fine to do so.

Hard lesson learned. I tried posting my car but people would like me to waive the MSDs (understandably given it has such a long term left), which would make me loose a lot of money.

I’ll probably find a friend or colleague who can take my lease for one year. I like your last recommendation lol but it would break my heart.
I'm not trying to pile on here so hopefully this doesn't come off as such.

Even if the dealer would have given you a document saying it was OK that wouldn't mean much anyway. Your contract with BMWFS will say that no other party has the authority to alter your contract with BMWFS. So even if you had that document you'd be forced to try to sue the dealership into buying the car back. A messy and expensive path if they don't want to play ball.

I'm that annoying guy during the car buying process. I sit there and I read the agreements. If I have a problem I'll bring it up and decide what I need to do about it. You can't assume anything in the modern world as the only thing that matters is what's on the four walls of that contract. In your case, I would be asking the dealer to explain why the contract says X and they are saying Y on the spot. As that's your best way out with the least pain. Telling them to unwind the deal before you've signed anything away...

I had something along these lines happen to me a very long time ago while renting an apartment in my college days. The property manager was discussing all of the things about the apartment to get me to sign the lease and go with the place. I had a question about utilities and how they were billed and she happily pointed out to me that electricity was included in the rent while I was doing my detailed read of the lease. I pointed out to her kindly that the lease disagreed with her and said I was on the hook for electricity. She happily printed a new lease that matched what she said. Summer rolls around and my crappy apartment AC is running 24/7 and barely keeping up since they had an old unit installed. Electricity bills well over $200/m and the new property manager asks me about paying for my electricity. I was kind enough to remind them of my lease... They weren't so happy with that reality and it ended up in court. Long story short. I won.

I just wanted to be sure the lesson you're learning here is along those lines and not another.

I wish you the best of luck.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
Imma gonna take a contrarian view...

What happens if you DO go to canada with a US plated car- and stay more than the 30 days BMWFS allows.

Then what?

I would specifically ask the LAWYER what is my exposure if I am simply in breech of the BMW lease?

You should make sure you have insurance, THAT you need. But if the sole impact is that you are in default, and BMWFS must give you notice and you can cure, so what?

Having said this, my suspicion is the exposre could be things like warranty and gap.

Finally, would you be close enough to make a monthly day trip to the US border? Grab a cup of coffee and snap a picture of you in the USA.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
I'm not trying to pile on here so hopefully this doesn't come off as such.

Even if the dealer would have given you a document saying it was OK that wouldn't mean much anyway. Your contract with BMWFS will say that no other party has the authority to alter your contract with BMWFS. So even if you had that document you'd be forced to try to sue the dealership into buying the car back. A messy and expensive path if they don't want to play ball.

I'm that annoying guy during the car buying process. I sit there and I read the agreements. If I have a problem I'll bring it up and decide what I need to do about it. You can't assume anything in the modern world as the only thing that matters is what's on the four walls of that contract. In your case, I would be asking the dealer to explain why the contract says X and they are saying Y on the spot. As that's your best way out with the least pain. Telling them to unwind the deal before you've signed anything away...

I had something along these lines happen to me a very long time ago while renting an apartment in my college days. The property manager was discussing all of the things about the apartment to get me to sign the lease and go with the place. I had a question about utilities and how they were billed and she happily pointed out to me that electricity was included in the rent while I was doing my detailed read of the lease. I pointed out to her kindly that the lease disagreed with her and said I was on the hook for electricity. She happily printed a new lease that matched what she said. Summer rolls around and my crappy apartment AC is running 24/7 and barely keeping up since they had an old unit installed. Electricity bills well over $200/m and the new property manager asks me about paying for my electricity. I was kind enough to remind them of my lease... They weren't so happy with that reality and it ended up in court. Long story short. I won.

I just wanted to be sure the lesson you're learning here is along those lines and not another.

I wish you the best of luck.
OP would then have a cause of action against the dealer/whomever told him he could go to Canada.

They told him soemthing untrue; he relied on that info; that caused him a loss.

Now, he likely ALSO signed a document that said 'nothing the dealer told me previously during the sales process- verbally or in writing- counts, only this contract'

Salesmen lie. its like breathing for some of them.

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530e xDrive
1,173 Posts
OP would then have a cause of action against the dealer/whomever told him he could go to Canada.

They told him soemthing untrue; he relied on that info; that caused him a loss.

Now, he likely ALSO signed a document that said 'nothing the dealer told me-verbally or in writing- counts, only this contract'

Salesmen lie. its like breathing for some of them.
Yeah, it would be exactly as I mentioned I feel:

BMWFS contract absolutely has verbiage saying any other agreements are null and void and only their contract prevails. That's pretty standard fare in financial contracts so I'm sure it is in a BMWFS lease or financing agreement as well. This isn't their first rodeo.

The document would give him a legal course of action against the dealer, sure. But, as I mentioned, he'd still have to litigate that out if the dealership wouldn't play ball. Like I mentioned in my post. I had a legal contract from my landlord during my jostling with them over utilities. They still decided to take it all the way to court where I won as they weren't willing to play ball even though it was an even clearer situation than the OP would be in here if he had such an agreement in writing from the dealership. Sort of like patent trolls. Sometimes a case can be won because the other party can grind you down in litigation costs if they want to.

The best course of action would be to read the contract and then walk away when you see it is out of line from what you needed... But that ship has sailed.

The best solutions have already come up in the thread. Such as temporary lease transfer to a friend or family member who can be trusted to care for the car and return it in good condition when the OP returns. Or if the OP will still maintain his US address, such as he owned a home he's coming back to, then he can keep everything in good order with BMWFS bill wise and insurance wise and pop across the border once a month to stay within the terms of the contract and his US based insurance, as you mentioned. And ideally the learned lesson is simple: The contracts are the only source of truth, everyone else should be assumed to be a liar until the contract proves them otherwise...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
26,385 Posts
^ Spot on.

I will add that I can usually identify those people that have never been to trial.

They are the ones that say "Lawyer up, sue them".

;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.