Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read several posts and have seen several videos on this subject but just wanted to ask if the movement in my tensioner and pulley appear to be optimal. Some videos would say that this is not normal and should have no movement at all with a recommendation to replace the part right away. Others have stated some minor movement is to be expected.

The car is a 2012 535i with roughly 61k miles.

I will be replacing the tensioner and belts since everyone appears to be in agreement to do so at around this time but I'm curious if I need to do so urgently or if I still have some time. The holidays are coming up so I wanted to see if its something I can address next month w/o to much fear of the belt getting sucked into my engine type horror stories I've read.

Thank you!

https://youtu.be/9-WyNVe-6h8

https://youtu.be/SJoqu9YawsI_a_

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've read several posts and have seen several videos on this subject but just wanted to ask if the movement in my tensioner and pulley appear to be optimal. Some videos would say that this is not normal and should have no movement at all with a recommendation to replace the part right away. Others have stated some minor movement is to be expected.

The car is a 2012 535i with roughly 61k miles.

I will be replacing the tensioner and belts since everyone appears to be in agreement to do so at around this time but I'm curious if I need to do so urgently or if I still have some time. The holidays are coming up so I wanted to see if its something I can address next month w/o to much fear of the belt getting sucked into my engine type horror stories I've read.

Thank you!

https://youtu.be/9-WyNVe-6h8

https://youtu.be/SJoqu9YawsI_a_

I had the same issue with mine. I complained at the dealer and they replaced both the tensioner and belt, but still had the shaking. While I had the car in, they gave me an X5 loaner and I checked the tensioner on her........same exact movement! I called BMW and they said they are designed for a little play?!?! Makes no sense but I trust German engineering so I am living with it. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
36 Posts
I believe the movement's normal! I replaced my tensioner, pulley and belt and torqued everything in correct spec in January. I still see the movement and it drives perfect fine! My is 2012 535ix with 75k miles. You will need to remove radiator to replace pulley and belt. Once you remove it, you will see water pump. You can replace it if you never did and flush coolant. It's relatively easy job if you are able to change spark plugs or oil cooler gaskets!

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I believe the movement's normal! I replaced my tensioner, pulley and belt and torqued everything in correct spec in January. I still see the movement and it drives perfect fine! My is 2012 535ix with 75k miles. You will need to remove radiator to replace pulley and belt. Once you remove it, you will see water pump. You can replace it if you never did and flush coolant. It's relatively easy job if you are able to change spark plugs or oil cooler gaskets!
That amount of play is not normal. A small amount yes, but it shouldn't continually move back and forth like that. Did you also replace your pulleys?

You don't have to remove the radiator - radiator fan yes, but not the radiator.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That amount of play is not normal. A small amount yes, but it shouldn't continually move back and forth like that. Did you also replace your pulleys?

You don't have to remove the radiator - radiator fan yes, but not the radiator.

I didn't replace the pulleys. Maybe that causes the movement.

·
BimmerFreak
422 Posts
I had the belt tensioner and the pulleys replaced last year by the BMW dealer and seeing your video, took the car to a Indy shop today and asked the technician if the movement was okay. He said such movement is pretty normal and there should be a little play but not much to move that thing left and right. So, it’s normal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had the same issue with mine. I complained at the dealer and they replaced both the tensioner and belt, but still had the shaking. While I had the car in, they gave me an X5 loaner and I checked the tensioner on her........same exact movement! I called BMW and they said they are designed for a little play?!?! Makes no sense but I trust German engineering so I am living with it. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Dealer did replace my tensioner and pulley and it has the same movement. Thanks for the reply

1 - 12 of 12 Posts