BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever heard of this? Today, I started up my 2001 E39 M5 (68000 miles) and there was a horrible screech and then smoke. I turned the car off immediately. As I opened the hood to investigate, I saw the the tensioner pulley device had broken off the engine. It looks kind of bad because I am worried this whole thing may have broken off the engine block. I attached some pics. Can anyone tell me how much $$$ trouble I am in?

Also, I was thinking to have the timing belt and water pump replaced while they have the front of the car off. What do you think considering my mileage?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Area where the pulleys broke off

Here is a another pic of the area where the pulleys broke off - I know this is not an M5 engine but is at least a V8 from an E39. Any help appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Not common, not uncommon. If you are not a DIYer figure best case scenario is 4 hours labor plus at least $100 in parts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bruce - So you don't think the pulley contraption has broken from the engine block? I'm almost afraid that the metal left behind from the event is pretty serious as it appears that a chunk of metal where the bottom bolt screws in broke off - it looks like it broke off from the engine block. If thats the case, there is no way to repair it....???

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another pic of the affected, broken pulley

Is the end in question broken from the block?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Actually, I didn't look at the pics that close....usually the bolt breaks off. Looks like that part could have broken off the block.

I would take it to a BMW dealer to see if they could help with good will.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can anyone help - I have the answers from BMW. They were not what I expected... Apparently, this pulley broke off and danced around in the engine compartment. It broke the timing chain cover and thus damaged the water pump too (?). Therefore the entire engine needs to come out, valves removed to replace the timing cover. 66 hours of labor = $7800.00. I'm totally F'd. I cant afford that. What in the heck do I do? Would BMW understand that this is an extreme case and help in any way? God I hope so. Please - any suggestions or the customer relations phone number would be great.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK - here is the latest... Apparently, the water pump seized. This caused undue and massive amounts of tension on the whole belt system and broke the pulley off as pictured above. The pulley system attaches to the timing belt cover and when it broke off, it took the timing belt case with it.

Next, according to the service manager, only "some" S62 engines (according to VIN) need to have the engine pulled when replacing the timing belt cover. Un-lucky enough for me, mine is one that "must" have the engine pulled.

I am basically begging for a reprieve in the cost. I have bought several M cars from them and they are always serviced there so I'm hoping for them to cut the price in half.

So, The question is now.... while they have the engine out, what else should I have done?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts