Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help. I***8217;ve exhausted all my knowledge on this 316i E46 N42. Engine idles horrendous and stalls. Work carried out so far

New plugs New coil packs, tested also
CCV replaced and vacuum hoses
Crank case gasket
2 vanos solenoids and tested
2 camshaft position sensors and tested Timing checked and reset. Chain not slack and new tensioner
Compression tested 200psi all cylinders Fuel and oil filters
Fuel injectors cleaned out and tested Disconnected MAF no change
Cleaned MAF no change
Disconnected VVT no change
Disconnected all sensors no change
No vacuum leaks that I can find

No fault codes

Please, any help much appreciated

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Please stop throwing parts at the problem. Doing so wastes money, doesn’t fix the problem and it angers the BMW goddesses.

What tool are you using to scan the engine computer (DME in BMWspeak)? The Service Engine Soon (SES) light is on only when an emissions related code is present. Rough idling is typically caused by vacuum leaks. Why? Vacuum leaks allow unmetered air into the engine. The DME tried to compensate for the leaks but can’t make the fuel/air mixture rich enough.? The only way to find all of the vacuum leaks is to have the intake smoke tested with a professional smoke machine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@marcozandrini, thankyou for your response. As advised I won***8217;t be throwing any more parts at it. Just wanted to eliminate bits. So far hasn***8217;t cost me a great deal except time. I***8217;ve been using an ICarSoft i910 for BMW to diagnose. I have built a really cool smoke machine so that***8217;s my next move I guess as I***8217;ve no further ideas ***x1f61e;

Thanks again, appreciated

Wayne

1 - 5 of 5 Posts