BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all. Help.

I am hoping that you'll have some suggestions to addressing the terribly flat bottom cushion on my 2001 325i 4-door. Since there is no angle adjustment to the heated, non-sport, non-power driver seat, my thighs are left dangling when driving. Even if I have the seat height set higher (head brushing ceiling), the weight is still all on my lower back.

Any suggestions on modifying the seat / brackets (shims, spacers, adapters, etc). The goal is to angle the front of the seat bottom up for more support.

If you have not viable solutions, the only other choices that I am left with are buying new leather Sparco Milanos or Recaro Styles. I have also seen some people re-cover their seats at a leather shop. Are they able to reshape the seat bottoms?

Your advice is appreciated.

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Can't you put some extra washers, bolts or something where the front seat bolts dwon onto the car.

Use the washers to build up the height of the seat . . .

what do you think ? ?

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Alan F said:
Can't you put some extra washers, bolts or something where the front seat bolts dwon onto the car.

Use the washers to build up the height of the seat . . .

what do you think ? ?
I like Josh's idea better:confused:

Did I help you at all earlier today:dunno:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't begin to know where to look in NYC for the seats from a totalled 3.

The dealerships have not been able to offer anything. I've asked and they've only suggested new sport seats ($$$$).

The salvage places often leave their vehicles out in the open. Therefore, their seats are less than desireable.

Have you or anyone reupholstered seats? It might be a good alternative to new seats.

I am curious on whether it is possible to remold the bottom seat cushion (with a new cover). It may be a more realistic price point. Everyone - Let me know your suggestions and thoughts on this as well and where in NYC one might go for this.

Thanks.

·
superwagon pilot
'17 991.2C, '19 e450 wagon, 11 135iC, 09 x3
1,403 Posts
I would call area body shops and ask to be on the lookout for sport seats. Also people on these boards have occasional accidents, one of our members racked up his car last week, and there is a good chance it's totaled. Your interior isn't black perchance is it? :dunno:

As for remolding seats, I have no clue, if you are going to all that effort and still not have the adjustability of thigh support you're after, it sounds like far too much work for far too little return to me?

I don't think jacking up the seat with washers is a good idea either. Firstly it would take a lot of washers to get the impact you're looking for, and secondly I'd be concerned about safety issues with the rails not coincident with the floor anymore (more load on the bolts, possible shear risk.:dunno:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, all.

Yes the interior is black.

I thought about the washer/spacer idea, but yes I am concerned about what the seats will do in a serious accident. However, I will still look into it and see if it is safe.

If you know of anyone who has had the misfortune of a totalled car and has access to the black leather/leatherette sport seats, please sync us up.

The new seat approach looks to be about $1100 - $1350 each. Nice, but a bit over the top. Those clams can go toward a lot of other nice stuff for the house and etc.

·
superwagon pilot
'17 991.2C, '19 e450 wagon, 11 135iC, 09 x3
1,403 Posts
e46myway said:
Hi, all.

Yes the interior is black.

I thought about the washer/spacer idea, but yes I am concerned about what the seats will do in a serious accident. However, I will still look into it and see if it is safe.

If you know of anyone who has had the misfortune of a totalled car and has access to the black leather/leatherette sport seats, please sync us up.

The new seat approach looks to be about $1100 - $1350 each. Nice, but a bit over the top. Those clams can go toward a lot of other nice stuff for the house and etc.
look up board member CD-55, your timing couldn't be better (See THREAD) CD-55's thread

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Josh (PA),

Thanks for the heads up on those seats. I posted to CD-55's thread and hope that he'll be able to snag them if his car is deemed totalled and the seats are mint.

He has a 3-Coupe and I don't know if they'll fit. I hope so. If anyone knows...

Everyone - keep those suggestions / referrals coming.

-e46myway

·
Registered
407 Posts
Recaro Style is an option. They are actually relatively inexpensive (compared to OEM - about 1300 for power and 800 for manual I think) and good quality and the closest thing to OEM sport seats. But please do sit in them first before you order. I did and actually found my non-sport seats much more comfortable. The leather is very slippery and I found myself moving around the seat too much. The side bolsters were also invading my back too much without providing more lateral support. The thigh support is there but not as good as OEM sport (seems shorter). I found original sport seats much better. Then again, seats are so related to personal ergonomic preferences... Another place to look is Ebay. I actually saw there maybe a week ago, new tan leather sport seats from totaled 2002 330i (if only they were black!). Try salvage yards but from my experience they generally have (at least in this area) old or really demaged ones. Good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't seen any pricing on the Recaro Styles in black leather. The prices that you mentioned, are they for the leather? If going this route, I would seek heated as my only need. There is no need for it to be power if the adjustments are the same.

Yes, I would want to sit in them and see all the adjustments.

Where did you see these prices? Thanks.

- e46myway

·
Registered
407 Posts
e46myway said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't seen any pricing on the Recaro Styles in black leather. The prices that you mentioned, are they for the leather? If going this route, I would seek heated as my only need. There is no need for it to be power if the adjustments are the same.

Yes, I would want to sit in them and see all the adjustments.

Where did you see these prices? Thanks.

- e46myway
Yes, these prices are for leather. Basically, their all-power package includes heated seats/lumbar support so if you want to go with manual only you will not get heated seats option (don't you just love these American package deals!) Go to Recaro USA website and choose the list of your local dealers and call them up for prices. The prices I mentioned are a rough average of 3 of my local Recaro dealers (BAy Area). One of them had actually Recaro Style installed in a 3 series wagon. They look really nice and the black leather almost perfectly matches the 3 series shade (it is a tiny bit darker).

·
Registered
407 Posts
UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!!

There is hope for those with non sport seats. I have just purchased new sport seats from a totalled 2002 330i. The car was involved in a roll over accident but most of the interior remains in mint condition. I got a really good price on them. So there is hope - just be patient and keep on looking!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts