BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking the kids to school this morning and was distracted by my kids not listening when backing up the car and ran into the garage.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
ouch...you may be able to use some 2 part epoxy to fix the mount and not have to replace the entire mirror, or take it off and have it aluminum welded, as it looks to be aluminum.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Sorry to hear that man. At least its only a mirror. Kids can be distracting. Glad it didnt happen on the open road where the consequences can be far worst

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried to use JBweld but it's kinda loose. Going to redo it. Doesn't work, looks like a new door mirror out of pocket. Sad sad day.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Oh no, sorry to see that....at least 99.5% of the vehicle was not damaged. I had a similar careless episode with my car last week, took a big chunk out of the rear wheel and the sidewall, no need to mention the monetary damage as I am still in shock....lol.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
JB weld is generic...see if you can find something specifically for aluminum, lowes and home depot usually carry different lines of epoxies.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's hard to fix to cause the mirror is spring loaded with the mount. When it happened, it's not longer aligned. Kinda have to mount it out of place. Which doesn't look bad but is loose. It just annoys me cause it could had easily been avoided and all of this didn't have to happen. Just venting...

·
It's all about me!
1,519 Posts
Sorry to see this! I know it sucks.....

The good news, is it is only the mirror.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sorry, glad the car didn't get scratched up in the process.

If you were going to do some upgrades on the mirror, now is the time. I cant find the link, but when I was thinking of buying my E65 someone showed me aftermarket mirrors for this car which had the outside light (signal) and in mirror signal light.
I cant find it and I cant really say if it is easy to wire those suckers, but if you end up replacing them. The after market ones looked damn good and I would bet much cheaper than BMW OE.

·
2007 760Li User
973 Posts
Just buy another mirror, why buy an expensive car and glue bits together on it...Doesn't make any sense..

·
Registered
151 Posts
Why don't you share it with everyone here so that we all can learn in the process?
I would if i had a writeup, but all i did was drilled two screws from the inside of the plastic mirror housing into the black metal piece that is still attached to the frame of the car and it sat flush as if it was never broken, the only function you lose is the fold up mirror obviously.

the tools i used was two phillip screws, drill, and drill bits to drill through the metal black piece. took about 15 min.

OR you can do what a gentleman said before and buy a new mirror at about 1200-1300.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The reason I said it was because this forum doesn't allow you to use PM unless you have at least 100 posts and I'm a long way from it but want to learn everything just in case :)

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I would if i had a writeup, but all i did was drilled two screws from the inside of the plastic mirror housing into the black metal piece that is still attached to the frame of the car and it sat flush as if it was never broken, the only function you lose is the fold up mirror obviously.

the tools i used was two phillip screws, drill, and drill bits to drill through the metal black piece. took about 15 min.

OR you can do what a gentleman said before and buy a new mirror at about 1200-1300.
Uh:confused: correction no way :tsk:1200 1300 $$ it's only 300***8364; over here parts and labor ,had mine fixxed last year a little kid broke with while driving his bicycle so 500$$ max in the US not 1200 are 1300$$ don't scare people like that with wrong information:thumbdwn:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Uh:confused: correction no way :tsk:1200 1300 $$ it's only 300€ over here parts and labor ,had mine fixxed last year a little kid broke with while driving his bicycle so 500$$ max in the US not 1200 are 1300$$ don't scare people like that with wrong information:thumbdwn:
are you talking about the mirror only? because if so then thats ok, but he needs the entire assembly as you see it snapped at the pivot point, which is 1200 from the dealer i called myself and thats why i resulted in the fix i did.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
are you talking about the mirror only? because if so then thats ok, but he needs the entire assembly as you see it snapped at the pivot point, which is 1200 from the dealer i called myself and thats why i resulted in the fix i did.
Yep talking about the whole unit attached to the body even posted a thread with photo's of all my repairs last year think dealer didn't know what you mean precisely because 1200$$ for one mirror with a few electrics man common 7 are not:mad: ,but then again if youre right then the dealer makes a lot of profit on repairs on labor and parts can imagine that :confused: but then again maybe BMW USA have different prices comparing to Europe but the difference is very much:tsk:

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
I have one word to say...ebay

1 - 20 of 23 Posts