BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tesla and BMW X5 below average in Consumer Reports reliability

Latest Consumer Reports auto survey finds that the Model S has too many problems to recommend

Hot on the heels of getting the first ever perfect score from Consumer Reports, (Tesla Model S perfect score) the consumer goods ranking company has pulled it's recommendation for the Model S.

See the all new 2016 G12 7 Series side-by-side with the Tesla Model S

Owning that Tesla is likely to involve a worse-than-average overall problem rate. That's a step down from last year's "average" prediction for the Model S. It also means the Model S does not receive Consumer Reports' recommended designation. (To be recommended, a vehicle has to meet stringent testing, reliability, and safety standards, including having average or better predicted reliability.)

The main problem areas involved the drivetrain, power equipment, charging equipment, giant iPad-like center console, and body and sunroof squeaks, rattles, and leaks. The Tesla wasn't the only high-performance vehicle that fell below average in reliability. Others include the BMW X5 and 5 Series, and the Chevrolet Corvette.

Source Consumer Reports
What I found interesting is that despite the below average rating in reliability, Tesla owner satisfaction is still high with 97 percent of owners saying they would definitely buy another Tesla. Do BMW X5 owners feel as strongly about their brand as Tesla owners?

·
Registered
546 Posts
I swear the X5 35i was recommended just a few weeks ago. Just looked and they are dinging the 2014 for body integrity (poor), climate, audio system, and power equipment. The 2015 is doing better so far. Not unusual for a first year redesign for the 2014.

·
Registered
155 Posts
3rd X5. The E53 had lot of issues... E70 was much better with few minor issues. F15 one minor issue so far @ 5K. I will probably get another one, have not seen anything compatible to offer X5 package of sportiness, technology and luxury.... Cayenne lacks the technology and GLE the sportiness....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.