BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNfgBcXMqK0

BMW has been showing off their self parking feature (watch the videos) since the G12 7 Series was launched but the feature never landed in the US. BMW engineers stated that regulations requiring the brake pedal to be physically depressed before the transmission can be shifted was the hold up. BMW has been quiet on the issue but it seems that Tesla has figured it out.

Read more about the all new G12 2016 BMW 7 Series

Select Tesla Model S Sedans got an update over the weekend that allows them to park without a driver in the car. How they're getting around the regulations, or if the regulations have been changed, is not clear yet. Either way BMW should take a very look at the Tesla implementation to see if it is something they can replicate.

Is this Tesla beating BMW at their own game or will BMW catch up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5_6V7E6PXA

About the 2016 BMW 7 Series
The all-new BMW 7 Series will be introduced in the US as a 740i and a 750i xDrive model featuring BMWs newest and groundbreaking technologies such as Gesture Control, Wireless Charging and the standalone option of the Display Key. An Active Kidney Grille will also be available for the first time in the US. The all new BMW 7 Series once again sets the standard for luxury performance, delivering the highest level of driving refinement in the premium class. The 2016 BMW 7 Series will arrive in the US showrooms in the fall of 2015. The MSRP for the BMW 740i starts at $82,295 and the BMW 750i xDrive will begine at $98,395 (price includes $995 Destination and Handling).

Get the complete 2016 BMW 7 Series Pricing and Ordering guides

·
Registered
28 Posts
That is a very disappointing read. I have a very tight garage and was really hoping for this feature. Crossing my fingers that there is still hope. My display key actually shows the feature but always complains about range when attempting.

·
Registered
108 Posts
BMW better upgrade ALL the 2016 7's they sold already without it b/c I was told it will NOT be available b/c it does NOT meet North American Federal Safety Regulations. Clearly that is NOT true:
...The indication that already-sold 7 Series cars might get self-parking had originally come up because BMW's feature was specifically called out earlier in the day by US Secretary of Transportation Anthony Foxx, who noted that the technology was in compliance with federal safety regulations. BMW had originally avoided offering the feature on its US cars over regulatory concerns; 7 Series models sold in other markets already have it enabled.

Tesla upgrades all theirs on the road already:

Tesla, which has aggressively offered feature and functionality upgrades both through over-the-air software updates and hardware changes. Just last week, it deployed version 7.1 of its software, which enables self-parking on Model S vehicles already on the road.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Jan 18th 2016 at 10:14AM
BMW gets exemption to allow self-parking 7 Series in US

Automobile reports that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has conceded the law is too vague, and granted BMW's request for an exemption to bring the convenience feature to the US. NHTSA said that the point of the law was to have brake actuation during the transition from Park to a forward or reverse gear, not to insist that someone actually presses the brake pedal. BMW said it plans to bring Park Assistant Plus to the US soon, but the carmaker doesn't yet have a firm timeline for the move.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/18/bmw-exemption-self-parking-7-series/

·
Premium Member
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
15,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For garage parking that seems fine, but the inability to navigate small lips is a limitation. For Summons I wanted it to pull out of a parking spot and come to the door or something more then just being a remote control system.

Tim

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Now it seems just a matter of when.

"Originally, the German brand wasn't permitted to offer the advanced feature in US-bound units of its flagship, but the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration eventually decided to award it an exemption.

On the back of this news, BMW has confirmed that it will soon offer the feature on its US-spec cars, though it has not yet disclosed when."

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/01/bmw-7-series-can-now-be-offered-with.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.