BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove a 535xi with Head-Up Display (HUD). Absolutely amazing to see the speed on the windshield! In Canada it is $1500 extra. The question is that in the past I didn't have any issue with reading the dashboard as HUD is not available on my car - is HUD really necessary? Does it justify the $1500 cost?

Thank you for your comments.

·
Explore the space!
490 Posts
Speed, yes. Also nav - which can be quite nice. (Also lane detection, but I find that nearly useless.)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I say if you can, go for it, I'm 21 and giant techie. I love electronics more than anything. The HUD is awesome, but make sure you have your basis covered in terms of things you're more likely to use.

For example, you being in Toronto (love that city, I'm from London :)) cold weather, top/side view cameras are imperative in that city.

I'm in Texas now, so no black leather unless I want to Iron my @$$ everytime I want to get inside my car. I love a good sound system and a back up cam, so premium 2 was first on my list.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I say if you can, go for it, I'm 21 and giant techie. I love electronics more than anything. The HUD is awesome, but make sure you have your basis covered in terms of things you're more likely to use.

For example, you being in Toronto (love that city, I'm from London :)) cold weather, top/side view cameras are imperative in that city.
Thank you. I will have Tech Package for sure. The remaining items of interest are Active Cruise Control w/ Stop & Go, and Head-Up Display. I have decided on the ACC.

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
The HUD is one of those little things that you don't that you can't live without until you lived with one in the first place.

·
Registered
920 Posts

I'm in Texas now, so no black leather unless I want to Iron my @$$ everytime I want to get inside my car. I love a good sound system and a back up cam, so premium 2 was first on my list.
Also live in Texas and black leather being hotter than light colors is a myth. I've had cars with dark seats and light seats and see no difference. My F10 black seats are no hotter than previous light colors or the gray in my E60. Get the ventilated seats and they will be cooler.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I had HUD in the past. It is OK and can live without it. It just seemed redundant on the F10 when the dash has the LCD readout with Nav info.

I am just not into adding $20k in options to a car anymore.

I found there are some basic features/options I always go to and forget about the other stuff.

But I can see some folks saying"HUD is an absolute must", even though 99% of the car solds don't have it. :rofl: Some folks have to have every option. To each their own.

When I look back at all the BMWs I have owned, the best cars that I really enjoyed actually had less options, and consequently less dealer visits.

Also, be advised, if you wear polarized sun glasses (which I do), HUD gets washed out. You have to use standard sun glasses since HUD works on the concept of using glare for the display.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
If you have to stretch to get it I would say pass. It's a cool feature, but it's one of those luxury safety features that you don't really need. I think the money is better spent on Nappa leather or cold weather package or something that you're gonna get daily use from that isn't redundant.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I use the HUD all the time. I had it on my 650i for five years and really got used to having it. I use non polarized sun glasses when I drive. On long highway trips the combination of HUD and ACC makes the drive a lot less fatiguing.

·
Registered
6,034 Posts
I test drove a 535xi with Head-Up Display (HUD). Absolutely amazing to see the speed on the windshield! In Canada it is $1500 extra. The question is that in the past I didn't have any issue with reading the dashboard as HUD is not available on my car - is HUD really necessary? Does it justify the $1500 cost?

Thank you for your comments.
There are a lot of silly options available in every make of vehicle.
Think of better uses of your $$$ and decide if the fun factor is worth the money.
Do you think the option will benefit you when you trade back or sell the car in 3-5 yrs????
:rofl:

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I have HUD and its nice to see your mph but it really is worth it weight when you are using the Nav guiding system and you see the instructions right in front where your driving, to me thats awesome, other than that its ok. I think it need to have more choices of what you want displayed and not a lot because it can get cluttered .

·
Registered
325 Posts
Thank you. I will have Tech Package for sure. The remaining items of interest are Active Cruise Control w/ Stop & Go, and Head-Up Display. I have decided on the ACC.
I'd say - Head-Up Display is the must.
ACC - not sure, but if I was buying the car now - would buy it too.

I assume that you already have added all other packages - Technology, Executive, Premium Seating (and Rear Comfort, if someone will be on your back seats), and also do not forget Dynamic Damper Control, and BMW Apps (if needed).

Then you will be missing only one final upgrade - 550i :D :D

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
It is the same.

Also, the HUD is worth it for the extended black panel dash alone. Even if you never turned the HUD on. It makes the stock gauges look very plain. (Yes, I am jealous).

·
Over 20 years owning BMWs
720 Posts
It is the same.

Also, the HUD is worth it for the extended black panel dash alone. Even if you never turned the HUD on. It makes the stock gauges look very plain. (Yes, I am jealous).
+1 I have HUD and as much as I like it, the best part is not the HUD itself, but the fact that it includes the extended black panel display for your dashboard. It makes it look stunning!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.