BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
First ever post here and hopefully many more to come.

So I test drove a 2011 535i xdrive at a local dealer over the weekend and 2 things I immediately noticed were a) some amount of oversteer and b) having to push the gas pedal a bit farther than normal to get the car to take off both while driving and standing still.

Question 1: is this normal behavior or should I stay away?
Question 2: is there anything else I should get checked out or keep in mind regarding this car? I will only be covered for 2 and half years. 6 months new car warranty and 2 years certified.
Question 3: what's a good price for this car? 35K miles...premium package...premium 2 package...cold weather package!
Question 4: Should I just go with the 2012 528i xdrive for similar price but few more months of warranty?

Thank you guys so much for all your help!

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Hmm- it would be very unusual to notice oversteer on a stock BMW, much less an xdrive one. And even on a RWD model I doubt you'd notice any unless you disbaled DSC and floored it on some ice or took a corner at way over the posted limit. Can you describe the scenario in more detail?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I was driving the car out the lot and taking a right turn onto the road. At this point, when I turned The wheel, the car turned a lot more than I thought it would. More than the 528 and more than the Acura. This occurred one more time during the course of my test drive. Maybe that's normal and it's just me. Don't know.

·
Premium Member
2015 BMW 535i M-Sport
771 Posts
First time driving a car type that you have never driven before, you will probably feel differences in the steering, the braking and the acceleration --- to name just a few. If you are interested in that car, go for a second test drive, and test drive a similar car for comparison

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hmm- it would be very unusual to notice oversteer on a stock BMW, much less an xdrive one. And even on a RWD model I doubt you'd notice any unless you disbaled DSC and floored it on some ice or took a corner at way over the posted limit. Can you describe the scenario in more detail?
+1.

I see that you are currently driving an Acura. One important fact to take note of is that BMWs, and German cars in general, have much tighter turning-circle radii than Japanese cars. Basically, this means that when you move the steering wheel, the tires turn at a much greater angle than you are currently used to.

In terms of pricing, for an '11 535iX with the options and mileage you mentioned should not cost more than $32 - $33K. I was shopping for a CPO '12 535iX about a month ago and fully-loaded cars (Prem. Pkg., Cold Weather Pkg., Tech Pkg., Premium Sound Pkg.) with ~35,000 miles were listing for $35 - $36K at dealers in the NYC Metro area. PM me and I can recommend dealerships in our area.

Whether you go with a 4-cylinder 528iX or inline-6 cylinder 535iX is personal preference. I owned the previous 2 generations of the 5-Series, so I am accustomed to the feel/sound/power of the inline-6. If it's within your budget, I would go for a 2012 model over a 2011 model. Look at the CarFax report for each car and check the date when the car was first registered. That is the date you should use when calculating exactly when the original factory warranty expires.

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Well I was driving the car out the lot and taking a right turn onto the road. At this point, when I turned The wheel, the car turned a lot more than I thought it would. More than the 528 and more than the Acura. This occurred one more time during the course of my test drive. Maybe that's normal and it's just me. Don't know.
I see. Are you sure it was an xdrive? THe reason I ask is that the RWD models have rear wheel steering (IAS) as an option. That would potenitally explain why it turned sharper than the 528. If it really was an xdrive, I have no idea what the explanation could be given that you drove it back to back with another 5 series.:dunno:

I suppose one other explanation could've been a very wonky alignment (very toe-out) - but that seems like a long shot.

That being said, I'd gladly take the car with a tighter turning radius any day!

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
The 535i should not have anymore over steer than the 528i if any at all. You really need to push these BMW to a high limit to feel any type of oversteer or understeer. When I push my 535i Xdrive, I feel a bit under steer and not over. With that said, the suspension might have issues or maybe its in need of a wheel alignment.
2011 and 2012 F10 had some design issues, most notably the low speed jerks when accelerating, steering wheel vibration at 65-70 MPH and pulling to one side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perhaps the OP should look at this link to see the definition of understeer and oversteer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Understeer_and_oversteer

Mike
Thats the link i looked at before posting and it says "... oversteer is what occurs when a car turns (steers) by more than (over) the amount commanded by the driver"

This is exactly what i described in my previous post as to the details of the situation. Thank you though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
+1.

I see that you are currently driving an Acura. One important fact to take note of is that BMWs, and German cars in general, have much tighter turning-circle radii than Japanese cars. Basically, this means that when you move the steering wheel, the tires turn at a much greater angle than you are currently used to.

In terms of pricing, for an '11 535iX with the options and mileage you mentioned should not cost more than $32 - $33K. I was shopping for a CPO '12 535iX about a month ago and fully-loaded cars (Prem. Pkg., Cold Weather Pkg., Tech Pkg., Premium Sound Pkg.) with ~35,000 miles were listing for $35 - $36K at dealers in the NYC Metro area. PM me and I can recommend dealerships in our area.

Whether you go with a 4-cylinder 528iX or inline-6 cylinder 535iX is personal preference. I owned the previous 2 generations of the 5-Series, so I am accustomed to the feel/sound/power of the inline-6. If it's within your budget, I would go for a 2012 model over a 2011 model. Look at the CarFax report for each car and check the date when the car was first registered. That is the date you should use when calculating exactly when the original factory warranty expires.
Im test driving a 2012 535i xdrive tomorrow at a local dealer. Its a bit out of my budget but if i like it i might just make an offer. Although this 2012 has 4000 more miles than the 2011. Any reason to go with 2012 instead of 2011 other than it being 1 year newer?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see. Are you sure it was an xdrive? THe reason I ask is that the RWD models have rear wheel steering (IAS) as an option. That would potenitally explain why it turned sharper than the 528. If it really was an xdrive, I have no idea what the explanation could be given that you drove it back to back with another 5 series.:dunno:

I suppose one other explanation could've been a very wonky alignment (very toe-out) - but that seems like a long shot.

That being said, I'd gladly take the car with a tighter turning radius any day!
Yeah its definitely Xdrive, even the carfax says it. I haven't really seen any with the IAS option.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Remember that the car has speed sensitive steering. Under 40, it steers noticeably more for a given wheel input than it does as the speed increases. You get used to it in time, but if you are stepping out of a car without this, it can surprise you.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Im test driving a 2012 535i xdrive tomorrow at a local dealer. Its a bit out of my budget but if i like it i might just make an offer. Although this 2012 has 4000 more miles than the 2011. Any reason to go with 2012 instead of 2011 other than it being 1 year newer?
Others will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I know when it comes to items that the 2012 models have that the 2011 models did not:

1.). LED Daytime Running Lights (the "Angel Eyes" rings around the headlights are white vs. yellowish with halogen)
2.). Combox - allows BT Audio Streaming/Album Artwork/iPhone/iPod integration.
3.) Driving Dynamics Control with Eco Pro mode (enhances fuel efficiency)
4.) Auto Start/Stop function is standard

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Remember that the car has speed sensitive steering. Under 40, it steers noticeably more for a given wheel input than it does as the speed increases. You get used to it in time, but if you are stepping out of a car without this, it can surprise you.
Only if it has IAS. If you're talking about the servotronic speed sensitive assist that just varies the weight not the amount of steering input required

·
Registered
844 Posts
Only if it has IAS. If you're talking about the servotronic speed sensitive assist that just varies the weight not the amount of steering input required
I stand corrected. I thought they all had it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Others will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I know when it comes to items that the 2012 models have that the 2011 models did not:

1.). LED Daytime Running Lights (the "Angel Eyes" rings around the headlights are white vs. yellowish with halogen)
My June 2011 build 2011 550i allows Bluetooth streaming. No artwork though at least with Windows Phone 8.

The loner 535i for a day had the Auto Start/Stop function. If I had the car long enough I certainly would have figured out how to turn it off. What a horrible annoying feature, do folks actually like it?

Mike

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
......do folks actually like it?

Mike
I got used to it and kind of like it now. There is a little button that can be engaged to turn off the A/S/S feature; though it must be pressed every time. I even use Eco Pro mode most of the time; which I thought I'd never do.

·
Scott
837 Posts

I think you are correct about everything except for #1; the LED angel eyes were standard on all 5 series except the 528 where it was an option. In 2012, it became standard on the 528 as well. Since the car in question is a 535, it will have LED angel eyes even if it is a 2011.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Saw the 535 late evening the first time and it definitely had the LED Angel Eyes. Played around with the iDrive and it definitely had bluetooth streaming just not sure about the better iphone integration since i never connected the phone. the driving dynamics and auto start stop i dont really care about.

So you're saying the 2012 will show album artwork even when bluetooth streaming? From any app eg. Pandora, Spotify?

·
Premium Member
2022 540i MSport
9,515 Posts
Thats the link i looked at before posting and it says "... oversteer is what occurs when a car turns (steers) by more than (over) the amount commanded by the driver"

This is exactly what i described in my previous post as to the details of the situation. Thank you though.
Oversteer doesn't just mean the car turned faster than you thought it would, perhaps due to a high steering ratio. It means the car did not follow its intended path, in direct relation to the steering input. On a RWD car, this can be induced at high speeds, or on a slick road (stability control disabled), by turning tightly and causing the rear wheels to slide outward, magnifying the turning radius. I kind of doubt this is what you experienced on a test drive, but was more likely just finding the steering ratio was higher than what you might be used to.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.