BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Ex-Dictator
Joined
·
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mark in TX , which is also a member here, is visiting Hamburg right now. I think it's the first time that two Bimmerfest members from the two continents met each other personally.

As some of you may already know, Mark bought a magic-violett Z1. I had posted some pictures of the car sometime ago.

Anyway, Mark picked the car up today and we went for a short drive. He said that it's his first time in Hamburg and he doesn't know the city at all, so he let me to drive it :)

This car is a blast to drive. It was one of the best driving experiences I've ever had. Excellent handling, excellent steering, excellent feel, everything was excellent with this car.

If you don't want to get infected, do NOT drive a previous model BMW :D I'm not saying this to start another war, but it IS really different. Believe me. After driving Mark to his hotel in the Z1, I got in my car and it felt like a truck, LOL.

PS : We'll take some pictures tomorrow, I'll post them soon.
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
Alex Baumann said:

If you don't want to get infected, do NOT drive a previous model BMW :D I'm not saying this to start another war, but it IS really different. Believe me. After driving Mark to his hotel in the Z1, I got in my car and it felt like a truck, LOL.
So, you are comparing the driving experience of a large automatic E46 to a rare 2 seat Z1 roadster...hmm
 

·
Ex-Dictator
Joined
·
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: Test drove a Z1 today

nate328Ci said:


So, you are comparing the driving experience of a large automatic E46 to a rare 2 seat Z1 roadster...hmm
I'm not comparing anything. I'm just saying that my car felt like a truck after driving in the Z1 for an hour or two (which is correct :) ). And I'm also saying that the driving experience of the Z1 was fun.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,077 Posts
Z1's have E30 drivetrains, right? I took my dad's 325is out for a romp last week, gotta love the super light feeling of everything: shifter, steering, pedals, tachometer needle (why oh why does the E46 rev so slowly), and handling in general. The brakes reminded me of why cars have wheels larger than 14" today. They felt frighteningly weak compared to my 323's for the first inch of travel. Maybe it just needs some maintenance work.

My favourite feature: the wonderful short-travel clutch with excellent feedback. Had me rev-matching every downshift just for the sake of it. :D

Sorry to steal the thread, but that's what I do! :p
 

·
Here since day one
Joined
·
7,187 Posts
That is one beautiful car . . . it looks like a ton of fun to drive.

That is pretty cool that you guys got to meet . . . I'm in the states and haven't met a bimmerfest person but here you guys are from Germany & texas and you meet . . . pretty amazing !!
 

·
Ex-Dictator
Joined
·
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Alan F said:
That is one beautiful car . . . it looks like a ton of fun to drive.

That is pretty cool that you guys got to meet . . . I'm in the states and haven't met a bimmerfest person but here you guys are from Germany & texas and you meet . . . pretty amazing !!
It is amazing indeed. He'll probably be busy tomorrow, needs to go to the dealer etc. If we have time, we'll wash the car and take some pictures with some nice scenery.
 

·
Ex-Dictator
Joined
·
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Re: Re: Test drove a Z1 today

Alan F said:


I think your title should be changed to:

E46 defender !!!!
No, I think his title is OK, he indeed needs some LSD :D
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Test drove a Z1 today

Alan F said:


I think your title should be changed to:

E46 defender !!!!
I wasn't defending anything :dunno:

It is pretty obvious that a Z1 will be more fun, but my car doesn't feel like a truck compared to as Alex said, a "previous model BMW" That is a generalization that does not hold

I want a Z1 :dunno:

Maybe you haven't read my sig. :angel:
 

·
Ex-Dictator
Joined
·
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Test drove a Z1 today

nate328Ci said:
but my car doesn't feel like a truck compared to as Alex said, a "previous model BMW"
must be a US spec thingy :dunno: :p
 

·
Ex-Dictator
Joined
·
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
VinceTopasBlau3 said:
Amazing!!! :D

Is Mark still there? Bring him to test drive an Alpina or something! :D

Btw, here's the ALPINA Z1.
Yes, he's still here. He's looking for a set of Alpina wheels for his Z1. But, AFAIK, Alpina is not very cooperative regarding the wheels. Apparently, they don't want standard Z1s looking like RLE :dunno:

But, again, it's a fun car to drive. One problem is with the top on it's a PITA to get in and out of the car :D
 

·
Here since day one
Joined
·
7,187 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Test drove a Z1 today

nate328Ci said:


I wasn't defending anything :dunno:

It is pretty obvious that a Z1 will be more fun, but my car doesn't feel like a truck compared to as Alex said, a "previous model BMW" That is a generalization that does not hold

I want a Z1 :dunno:

Maybe you haven't read my sig. :angel:
ok bud, I got the idea :thumb: :thumb:
 
G

·
Re: Re: Re: Test drove a Z1 today

Alan F said:


I think your title should be changed to:

E46 defender !!!!
I don't try to argue with Nate on this any more as he completely lacks objectivity. He sees ANY comparison of any lighter nimbler BMW to the E46 as a slam on the E46. The thing is, most of the guys here came from the E46 board at Roadfly so comparing ANYTHING to the E46 is a valid point of reference. For some reason Nate takes it personally. Insult the E46 and he reacts more strongly than most people would were someone to insult their mother.

And I agree. That sig should read E46 and E65 DEFENDER.
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Test drove a Z1 today

TD said:


I don't try to argue with Nate on this any more as he completely lacks objectivity. He sees ANY comparison of any lighter nimbler BMW to the E46 as a slam on the E46. The thing is, most of the guys here came from the E46 board at Roadfly so comparing ANYTHING to the E46 is a valid point of reference. For some reason Nate takes it personally. Insult the E46 and he reacts more strongly than most people would were someone to insult their mother.

And I agree. That sig should read E46 and E65 DEFENDER.
I think the person who lacks objectivity is you. You hate the E46 so much that you said an E21 320 would pass me at the track when I drive my fat pig 328Ci

Hmm...saying that the E46 feels like a truck compared to any previous BMW is just not true....

I have driven EVERY 3 and 5 series and the Z3s since 1980 and don't think that generalization is appropriate. This analogy may hold with a Z1, but not ANY prior BMW. I probably put 45,000 miles on an '84 533, my car feels and handles MUCH, MUCH better :dunno:

Btw, the E46 is more nimbe than any prior 3...
 

·
Here since day one
Joined
·
7,187 Posts
TD and Nate . . . let's understand something and let's be honest
First let me just so no offense to either of you guys because I like you both.

Tom - you are truly a person who has been burned by the E46 and you are on a mission to make sure we know it.
Whenever you get a chance to point out the E46's negatives you do it to an extreme and you don't give up.

Nate - You ALWAYS defend your 328 vs. any car. I admire your admiration and devotion to this car but you also go to an extreme. While the E46 is an incredible all around car you do not need to defend it so much . . . I know you well enough that your going to tell me you don't but this would be defensive.


TD & Nate . . . I usually back off when I feel you guys are getting upset but this is the way it is and I am not the only who would say this.

Why can't you both accept this and let's go on . . .
 

·
I like cookies.
Joined
·
18,102 Posts
Alan F said:
TD and Nate . . . let's understand something and let's be honest
First let me just so no offense to either of you guys because I like you both.

Tom - you are truly a person who has been burned by the E46 and you are on a mission to make sure we know it.
Whenever you get a chance to point out the E46's negatives you do it to an extreme and you don't give up.

Nate - You ALWAYS defend your 328 vs. any car. I admire your admiration and devotion to this car but you also go to an extreme. While the E46 is an incredible all around car you do not need to defend it so much . . . I know you well enough that your going to tell me you don't but this would be defensive.

TD & Nate . . . I usually back off when I feel you guys are getting upset but this is the way it is and I am not the only who would say this.

Why can't you both accept this and let's go on . . .
Good observations,

I probably should let most everything slide, but I thought this was a little to generalized. If Alex had said the Z1 made his car feel like a truck, I would be fine with that. But, he said ANY prior BMW model does, and this does not fit with my driving impressions of older BMWs, including my extensive E28 experience. I do like Tom's E36 M3, but he hates the E46 too much.
 

·
The Original Dr. Phil
Joined
·
10,985 Posts
Alan F said:
TD and Nate . . . let's understand something and let's be honest
First let me just so no offense to either of you guys because I like you both.

Tom - you are truly a person who has been burned by the E46 and you are on a mission to make sure we know it.
Whenever you get a chance to point out the E46's negatives you do it to an extreme and you don't give up.

Nate - You ALWAYS defend your 328 vs. any car. I admire your admiration and devotion to this car but you also go to an extreme. While the E46 is an incredible all around car you do not need to defend it so much . . . I know you well enough that your going to tell me you don't but this would be defensive.

TD & Nate . . . I usually back off when I feel you guys are getting upset but this is the way it is and I am not the only who would say this.

Why can't you both accept this and let's go on . . .
Alan do you do family counseling in addition to your insurance business:dunno: That was well put and good advice:thumb:
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top