BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
PM 325xiT said:

Alan do you do family counseling in addition to your insurance business:dunno: That was well put and good advice:thumb:
lol . . . that's funny you say that because when running my business I feel like I need to be a mediator. Between trying to cool down office politics and clients that seem to always get upset you have no choice.

I also try to not put people on the defensive especially when I like and respect them. Nate and TD fall into this catagory . . .

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
nate328Ci said:

Good observations,

I probably should let most everything slide, but I thought this was a little to generalized. If Alex had said the Z1 made his car feel like a truck, I would be fine with that. But, he said ANY prior BMW model does, and this does not fit with my driving impressions of older BMWs, including my extensive E28 experience. I do like Tom's E36 M3, but he hates the E46 too much.
Cool Nate . . . :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Z1/report from Germany

Here I sit, racking up obscene hotel charges for calling the local Earthlink modem number (not to mention what Earthlink will want for the int'l roaming). Modem set to v.34, no less. Definitely having wireless DSL withdrawal.

But, totally worth it. The Z1 is sublime. It feels a generation ahead of the Z3 which, in many ways, it is. In fact, I like the Z1 so much, I actually took 2 of them, both now packed away in a 40-ft. container at the port here in Alex Baumann's home town of Hamburg. Alex did not get to see the 2nd car (red), as the cars were due at the port earlier this week than I had originally been told.

There was a very unusual heat wave here this week and with no A/C, the staff at EH Harms (aka BMW's shipping agent for Eurodelivery) pretty much had their heads in their A's. I delayed my return by a day due to all the typos on the shipping docs.

I agree with the above posts re: Alpina wheels on this car and I will do what I can to get them, apart from paying the US distrib's prices.

And while on the Alpina subject, I saw a B3.3 Touring in Alpina Blue at EH Harms on Tuesday afternoon. It was in motion from one end of the huge lot to another and I did not have time to get a pic. Most unfortunate. (Sorry VInce, Alex reminded me you would be heartbroken about the lack of photographic evidence.) But I will say this: it was one of the best looking cars I've seen here this week.

Ordinarily, I would post some pics but no way with this dial-up connection. Will do soon, tho.

BTW: are any of you attending Dan Tackett's M-Tour and/or the Nurburgring event in this summer? If so, send me a PM.

Mark

·
Registered
680 Posts
Re: Z1/report from Germany

Mark in TX said:

BTW: are any of you attending Dan Tackett's M-Tour and/or the Nurburgring event in this summer? If so, send me a PM.

Mark
Do you know of a web site with info on the 'ring event? I remember reading about it somewhere, but I can't seem to find it again. TIA

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Mark . . . congrats on the two cars, they are really beautiful . . . what are you going to do with them ??

Are you planning on selling one ?

Also, is it legal to drive one in the USA ??

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Very nice cars Mark.

BTW, most of you probably know this-- but the Z1 is actually more advanced than the Z3. The Z1 pioneered the so-called "Z link" rear suspension that was later used on the e36 and (gasp) the e46. The Z3, of course, used the e30's semi-trailing arm rear suspension.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just got back....aahhhh, DSL!

I may sell one - there's an ad & some pics on Roadfly.

The Z1 also has a flat bottom and true front & rear, downforce-generating ground effects. The thing is just so cool, if you'll excuse my excitement...

And those doors!

Mark

·
Registered
108 Posts
Alan F said:

Also, is it legal to drive one in the USA ??
Got to jump thru some govt hoops and the like but, yes, will be street legal. (And no DOT mods/surgery required!)

If I can find a buyer for one of them before they arrive in Miami, I will consider a sale. Once they're in Miami, however, the aforementioned hoop jumping will have me much more inclined to keep both. Very tempting to keep them, if only as a currency hedge, I've already made over 5% just on the recent fall of the dollar. Plus (have I mentioned this yet?), they're really cool!

Mark

·
Hi
4,481 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Mystikal said:
Z1's have E30 drivetrains, right?
I know this is going to get buried in this thread but....

The Z1 started production in 87 IIRC. It was never intended to go into production but the response was overwhelming and BMW made it a production car (8000 examples). It was designed and made by BMW Technik. BMW Technik's purpose is to come up with new ideas etc etc etc.

Ok....long winded way to get to the point....

The point...the Z1 is actually the exact opposite suspension-wise of a Z3. The Z3 has an E36 front end with an E30 rear end (semi traling arm rear suspension). The Z1 has an E30 front end with an E36 rear suspension (multi link). In fact the multilink rear suspension was introduced on the Z1. I think (don't quote me) that the rear suspension used on the Z1 was so sophisticated that BMW decided to use it on the E36. The multilink rera suspension is still used on the E46. One could say the Z1 is a better car in terms of suspension geometry.

Since Mark lives in Big D...I will have to get together with him to drool over the Z1s (I'll wear a bib I promise). If I could afford one and had the garage space I would have bought one he offered to me last year.

I've said it before and I will say it again....late 80s at BMW- the go old days...E30 M3, E24 M6, Z1. It will NEVER get as good as that again.

·
Registered
672 Posts
nate328Ci said:
I think the person who lacks objectivity is you. You hate the E46 so much that you said an E21 320 would pass me at the track when I drive my fat pig 328Ci

Hmm...saying that the E46 feels like a truck compared to any previous BMW is just not true....

I have driven EVERY 3 and 5 series and the Z3s since 1980 and don't think that generalization is appropriate. This analogy may hold with a Z1, but not ANY prior BMW. I probably put 45,000 miles on an '84 533, my car feels and handles MUCH, MUCH better :dunno:

Btw, the E46 is more nimbe than any prior 3...
:thumbup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Z1

The Z1 rules, Beavis!

Also, I don't know how the e46 debate entered into this picture but i will add this: I have a 330i. It is fantastic, love it. But no way is it the most nimble of all 3's. it should be, based on chassis rigidity and suspension, but it is just way too heavy to win the nimble category.

Check this out, I weighed them myself on a truck scale:

1995 M3: (3240 lbs.) Manual, Lux Pkg (pwr seats)

2001 330i: (3380 lbs) Manual, PP (pwr seats), SP, HK

1991 M3: (2880 lbs) with a/c

1991 Z1: (2820 lbs) no a/c

·
Any ride will do
17,472 Posts
Mystikal said:
The brakes reminded me of why cars have wheels larger than 14" today. They felt frighteningly weak compared to my 323's for the first inch of travel.
They feel weak compared to my Miata with 14" wheels.

Oh, weight matters? :)

BTW - ALEX, YOU SUCK!!!! I've wanted a Z1 since the first time I saw one. *lust*

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.