BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my lease winds down, Im out trying on new cars. The M3 is callin my name I just drove another e46 M3, first time a convertible manual, this time a hardtop with SMG.Those cars are so awesome! The feel, the sound ,and the power is something special.I know the car is like 6 ft. wide, but when driving it, the way the sound and vibration radiates it feels like you driving a car thats 10 feet wide and ready for a road brawl.Dont get me wrong the regular 3 series is no slouch, a perfect balance of luxury and sport,wonderful cars.But the M3 is all war no peace, its so mechanical and race ready feeling,always waiting with power to spare. I didnt like the SMG as much as the stick, it seemed slow on the shifts, I suspect if I was pushing the RPMs the shifts would be quicker.SMG also had a very mechanical feel like a little man inside the transmission pushing the clutch and shifting perfectly,Man Im drooling on the E46 I can only imagine the E92 V-8 with double clutch! You are probably thinking this belongs on the M3 forum but Id be preaching too the choir.Anyone looking at a 335 and likes to get rowdy in their car should do themselves a favor and test drive a used M3 you will be hooked!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had an '04 M3 SMG...black on black. It was my favorite BMW todate. My lease was up so I got into a 335 Vert. It's real nice and real fast but in a very different way. The M3 was a brute...looked the part and sounded the part. I miss her an awful lot.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I test drove an 03 M3 with SMG. She was spotless, and at a fairly decent price, $23,000. Low miles on it, I think around 70K.

The car was a beast, fast, very fast. A little harsh on regular streets, I chalked this up to the 19" wheels.

The SMG took a little getting used. The paddles were a nice addition, turning the program up, brought very quick shifts. My only beef with the SMG is, it's an automatic at heart. If I can drive it like an automatic, my tendency will to be lazy and just leave it in auto mode. Not what I'd want from a car. I think that, the black interior, and the 19" wheels have made me decide to buy a new 335i. Well, that and the experience of ordering a new car and picking it up at the PCD.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 330 is auto and for some reason on test drive of the SMG M3 I was naturally reaching for the clutch I guess thats how it should be?Is the program that little wheel on console below shifter? and which way speeds up the shifts? and why would you ever want the shifting slow?seems like it should be as fast as it can be always? Also Ive driven 2 E46s and the tach has that oil warmup countdown sequence with the colored lights, I was drivin around for a while and the last 2 or 3 lights wouldnt turn off this happened on both cars is that normal?

·
Combat Commuter
1,973 Posts
I test drove an 03 M3 with SMG. She was spotless, and at a fairly decent price, $23,000. Low miles on it, I think around 70K.

The car was a beast, fast, very fast. A little harsh on regular streets, I chalked this up to the 19" wheels.

The SMG took a little getting used. The paddles were a nice addition, turning the program up, brought very quick shifts. My only beef with the SMG is, it's an automatic at heart. If I can drive it like an automatic, my tendency will to be lazy and just leave it in auto mode. Not what I'd want from a car. I think that, the black interior, and the 19" wheels have made me decide to buy a new 335i. Well, that and the experience of ordering a new car and picking it up at the PCD.
Based on your quote, I fully agree with your decision to not deal with BMW SMGs. And you might want to stay away from any transmissions with these names: F1, F1 Superfast, F1 Superfast2, CambioCorsa, Duo Select, MC-Shift, E-Gear, Sportshift - and reaching way back into the past - Valeo. Those of us that bleed Italian, British, or even German exotica, thank you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm going to test drive an '06 M3 next week and an '07 335i (both sticks). Torn between the raw power (and exclusivity) of the M3 and the technological advances and serious power of the 335i. If I go the 335i route, I'll probably opt for European Delivery, though (on an '09 or '10).

·
Registered
736 Posts
My current lease is up in September. I am jonesin' for an Inerlagos Blue M3. We'll see if I have the balls to pull the trigger later on this summer.:D

·
Registered
444 Posts
I tested the M3 Coupe a few months ago, and refuse to do it again for another few years. Mainly because it was such a thrill, and it just makes me sad that I can't afford it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cant blame you for that, I will say the E46 is still a beast only thing that turned me off is the interior really just the dashboard controls and knobs arent up to par with the E92 interior and dash otherwise the power and feel of E46 would more than enough for me

1 - 12 of 12 Posts