BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As part of my weekend off, my friend, g/f, and I swung by the local Audi dealer to take a look at an S4 that he's interested in.

The salesguy said there was only one production S4 left on the lot prior to a one year hiatus until the V8 arrives.

The car was fully optioned, automatic, and unfortunately in Pearl White. The color was the onyl flaw in the car.

The handling is quite impressive, acceleration is good, but the automatic even with sport-shift is average. The color was really the only negative.

The residual at 39 months was 53% with a money factor of 0.00255. Payments are in the high $600 range including tax. Way, way too high. NExt stop will be, you guessed it, BMW for a look at the 02 Xi for him.

Overall, an impressive product from Audi, but the numbers are average at best compared with BMW lease rates.

·
Gone Motoring!
2,025 Posts
Do not lease an Audi, it's not worth it. For very little more u can lease an M3! If you want to lease a car, lease one that doesn't depreciate like an Audi.

--Andrew

·
Registered
178 Posts
I , too, test drove the S4 before buying the 02 330i I own right now. The handling is NOT up to par with BMW, quattro or not. I took a nice turn going about 35 and I could easily feel the S4 losing grip and control. The S4 almost spun out, whereas my current 330i has such good stability and little body roll in comparison. The sad part is that they use the quattro as a marketing plot to make consumers automatically believe the handling will be unmatchable by a FWD or RWD car... simply untrue.

And yes, the lease price they asked for was about the same as they offered to you.. just about 600 a month when I could get about 500 on a similarly optioned 330i. Not worth the money, esp. when I was looking for good handling over power. The interior of the Audi was the only thing I like over BMW. Anybody else hate the fact that VW's and Audi's look nearly identical from the side? The Audi should have SOME kind of obvious distinction from its lower counterpart, the VWs... I've gotten fooled so many times from the side when looking at VWs and Audis...

I think you'll make the right choice going with BMW...

AK

RChoudry said:
As part of my weekend off, my friend, g/f, and I swung by the local Audi dealer to take a look at an S4 that he's interested in.

The salesguy said there was only one production S4 left on the lot prior to a one year hiatus until the V8 arrives.

The car was fully optioned, automatic, and unfortunately in Pearl White. The color was the onyl flaw in the car.

The handling is quite impressive, acceleration is good, but the automatic even with sport-shift is average. The color was really the only negative.

The residual at 39 months was 53% with a money factor of 0.00255. Payments are in the high $600 range including tax. Way, way too high. NExt stop will be, you guessed it, BMW for a look at the 02 Xi for him.

Overall, an impressive product from Audi, but the numbers are average at best compared with BMW lease rates.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I usually OVER analyize everything,

However, during my recent Car search, I eliminated the IS300 (heard it had a high school interior) and the Audi's (aren't they a souped up VW?) and after driving a G35 twice I bought a 330i also.

It was quite painless and I am very happy with my decision, it's fun to check out all the competion, but I was short on time and I did alot of Review reading and all the (ahemmm) experts agree the winner is:

BMW.

·
Registered
88 Posts
acceleration??

Ok, so since you say that the handling of the Audi Quattro system is worse than they say it is, what did you find with acceleration?
the S4 beat out the 330xi in that review a while back (w/ the WRX in it too) and so here's my question:

How much faster does the S4 feel than your 330i?
from a stand-still?
accelerating while going XX(i.e. 50 mph) to YY (75 mph)?

very curious to hear.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Re: acceleration??

330Guy said:
Ok, so since you say that the handling of the Audi Quattro system is worse than they say it is, what did you find with acceleration?
the S4 beat out the 330xi in that review a while back (w/ the WRX in it too) and so here's my question:

How much faster does the S4 feel than your 330i?
from a stand-still?
accelerating while going XX(i.e. 50 mph) to YY (75 mph)?

very curious to hear.
From standstill, the S4 does not feel faster at all. No significant 'throwback' like the 330i. It's once you get to higher speeds that the S4 felt 'faster.'

The s4 had a heavier feel (partially due to steering wheel, partially cuz the car 'feels' heavier/bigger). The S4 interior also seems to dampen exterior noise much more than the 330i.

Also notable is the lack of 'engine' growl like the 330i.. like a HUGE difference in sound. My coworker's 330i was right there to compare, too, when I test drove. Engine noise doesn't make a car faster, of course, but as far as the feel for speed is concerned... you won't get that in the S4 like the 330i.

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
RChoudry said:

Ok, I have to disagree with you on two things.

A slushbox in anything designated S, Type S, or any one of the AMG monikers is a huge flaw in my book. One day, Audi, Acura, and Benz may make manual the only option on their performance lines, kinda like BMW. I'm not holding my breath though.

I also have to say that comparing the S4 to the 330xi is like comparing apples to oranges. Yes, they are all wheel drive, but they are also two totally different perspectives on driving. If BMW meant the xi to be performance oriented, they would have given it a true sport package option with a stiffer suspension and something more impressive than 205/50R-17 all-season tires...

Anyway, didn't mean to rant. Just had to get that off my chest...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry to bring this old thread back. I'm currently looking at a 330CI SP 18" etc and test drove 2 cars today. A 2003 A4 3.0 Quattro 6 speed and a 2001 S4 manual. I've also drove the 330CI with SP twice so I have something to compare them to. (All 5 and 6 speeds no auto).

I dont see how anyone can say that a 330I is anywhere close in acceleration to an S4. The S4 pulls like a freight train...HUGE amounts of torque and grip. The 330 can't hold a candle to the S4 in acceleration, however I will agree that the 330I with SP is stiffer. I did do a 4 wheel drift in the S4 and didnt feel the least bit out of control. Too bad they dont make these anymore. Now my choice is between a 6 speed A4 3.0 Quattro and a 330CI :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
djefvert said:

I dont see how anyone can say that a 330I is anywhere close in acceleration to an S4. The S4 pulls like a freight train...HUGE amounts of torque and grip. The 330 can't hold a candle to the S4 in acceleration, however I will agree that the 330I with SP is stiffer.
I've gone head-to-head with my good friend and his S4 several times.

First off, to say that the 330 cannot hold a candle to another car's acceleration forces that other car to dominate. At around a 6 second 0-60 time, that would take a hell of an effort (say, close to a second differential). The S4 does not have that ability.

From a standing start, my 330i and his S4 were damn close through 2nd gear. There was no clear winner. This was the case on several occasions.

Handling, I feel the 330i (sport package here) has a distinct advantage.

It seems that at speed (70+) the Audi would have the acceleration advantage - it does have some serious torque. The sound of the whistling exhaust is pretty nice.

My $.03

·
Registered
50 Posts
dog, sorry to make it sound like we were comparing a Ferrari to a Civic or something :) Didnt mean to make it sound like that. However, the S4 did "feel" signficantly faster than a 330. The added bonus of the Quattro makes one feel like you can do no wrong in that car!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.