Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Grumpy and Cynical
7,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Essentially, I agree with this oddly worded review:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Veh...06_Audi_A3_3_2_quattro_S-line.S184.A9908.html

This is a car that I really wanted to like. On paper, it's perfect. Sporty good looks, great engine, nifty transmission, four doors, and hatch back utility. It is all of that, but it just isn't very fun.

First the good stuff. A3 continues Audi's tradition of great interiors. Everything has that Germanic quality feel. Switch gear and interior design are top grade. The driver seat is very comfortable, on par with E46 sports seats. There is even adequate room in the back for 2 average adults. The stereo is good, not great, about the same as the HK in late mode E46s, but not as good as the E90's Logic7.

The engine is smooth, and pulls powerfully quickly. I enjoyed the exhaust note when the throttle is opened. DSG is fun. Definitely a step up from Steptronic, and is a reasonable compromise between convenience and sportiness. Of course I would prefer the 6 speed manual from the Honda S2000, but c'est la vie.

Why don't I like this car? I feel totally isolated. It's kinda like driving a Honda Accord. Nothing wrong with that, but there is nothing particularly exciting about it either. The steering is too light, and is totally numb. (I took a quick turn at a somewhat high speed, and did not see a wet spot on the road.) The Quattro / ESP does such a good job at correcting oversteer due to road slipperiness and high turn rate, that no driver input is needed to correct the car's yaw and direction. It's safe, but just isn't much fun. (BTW. I later took the same turn, on purpose, with a non-sport pkg E46 325i, and was happy to note the tail wiggle.)

Ed

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I drove two 3.2's last week....before deciding on buying an A3 2.0T. The quattro neutralizes the handling somewhat but the FWD 2.0 is fairly balanced as is. I just couldn't see almost $8K worth of performance difference between the two. Haven't had mine but a couple of days, but apparently you can "tighten" up the steering with a VAGCOM tool.

·
Grumpy and Cynical
7,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mtbscott said:
... Haven't had mine but a couple of days, but apparently you can "tighten" up the steering with a VAGCOM tool.
Will it take out the numbness too?

Ed

·
Registered
346 Posts
Interesting post. I happened to visit an Audi dealer on Saturday night and they had an A3 3.2 in the showroom. I was struck by a few things:

- The interior of the A3 - something about how that car fits - its perfect.
- The standard wheels on the A3 3.2 are terrible. Terrible.
- The A4 front end is actually not so bad in person :eek: Really, it's growing on me.
- An A4 2.0T can be optioned to over $40K - am I wrong to think that $40K for a 4-cylinder car is insane? (unless its an Elise)

I was really hoping we'd get the A3 3-door. Since I already have a 3er wagon, a 5-door A3 would be like having 2 wagons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts