1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just putzin***8217; around??

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Ha! By definition, everything I do is "putzin'."

"Autoputzer" is German for "car washer." But, "auto" means "self," and "putz" in Yiddish means to play or act ineffectively. So, "Autoputzer" could also mean... ummmm***8230; uhhh***8230;. "one who plays with himself." :confused:

Let's go with "car washer."

I was playing around trying to post a downloadable Excel file. I've made a very easy-to-use household budget and spending tracking Excel workbook for 2019. I built a more capable one years ago, but the capability came with complexity. For most, it was like trying to deliver Domino's pizza with a Boeing 777.

I'm also the Emir of Excel. I was supposedly an electrical engineer. But, almost all of my biggest accomplishments at work involved Excel. I once spent two years and around $500k building a Excel workbook that was a "tactical decision aide." When things were heating up in the "Persian Gulf," now called the "Northern Arabian Gulf," they said "Send Auto''s Excel spreadsheet... they're going to need it over there." Really.

A friend of mine with a BSEE and an MBA was a commander in the Naval Reserve, and he was a nuclear propulsion officer when on active duty. He grabbed a two year active duty stint after 9-11 at the Navy Military Personnel Command in Tennessee. He figured that volunteering for that would keep him out of Afghanistan. He wasn't a coward. But, being in a war zone without relevant skills is a recipe for getting yourself in a lot of trouble. They extended his tour because he automated so much of their work with Excel. He never got qualified as a "Surface Warfare Officer" (SWO) when he was on active duty, because his ship was up on blocks in the shipyard. So, he later "self-designated" himself as an EWO... Excel Warfare Officer.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ha! By definition, everything I do is "putzin'."

"Autoputzer" is German for "car washer." But, "auto" means "self," and "putz" in Yiddish means to play or act ineffectively. So, "Autoputzer" could also mean... ummmm***8230; uhhh***8230;. "one who plays with himself." :confused:

Let's go with "car washer."

I was playing around trying to post a downloadable Excel file. I've made a very easy-to-use household budget and spending tracking Excel workbook for 2019. I built a more capable one years ago, but the capability came with complexity. For most, it was like trying to deliver Domino's pizza with a Boeing 777.

I'm also the Emir of Excel. I was supposedly an electrical engineer. But, almost all of my biggest accomplishments at work involved Excel. I once spent two years and around $500k building a Excel workbook that was a "tactical decision aide." When things were heating up in the "Persian Gulf," now called the "Northern Arabian Gulf," they said "Send Auto''s Excel spreadsheet... they're going to need it over there." Really.

A friend of mine with a BSEE and an MBA was a commander in the Naval Reserve, and he was a nuclear propulsion officer when on active duty. He grabbed a two year active duty stint after 9-11 at the Navy Military Personnel Command in Tennessee. He figured that volunteering for that would keep him out of Afghanistan. He wasn't a coward. But, being in a war zone without relevant skills is a recipe for getting yourself in a lot of trouble. They extended his tour because he automated so much of their work with Excel. He never got qualified as a "Surface Warfare Officer" (SWO) when he was on active duty, because his ship was up on blocks in the shipyard. So, he later "self-designated" himself as an EWO... Excel Warfare Officer.

There is, of course, yet another meaning of ‘putz’ in Yiddish which we shall not touch (literally or figuratively) but which always makes me laugh when a golfer says he is ‘getting very good with his putts’.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

1 - 4 of 4 Posts