BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Looking for an E60 M5
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2008 535i (2/22/08 in service date) for $35K. The car has 15K miles Sport, Premium, Nav, SAT, iPOD and Moonroof. It is a BMW buy back because of HPFP issue. I can not show enough gratitude to the CA Lemon laws.

· Registered
268 Posts
Lemon Laws

So how does a CA designated lemon affect the title in your state? I'm pretty sure that CA titles are branded as lemons. Does your car also qualify for the recently extended warranty on the fuel pump? If so, it sounds like you got a super deal.

· Registered
6,905 Posts
So how does a CA designated lemon affect the title in your state? I'm pretty sure that CA titles are branded as lemons. Does your car also qualify for the recently extended warranty on the fuel pump? If so, it sounds like you got a super deal.
If the car was repurchased pursuant to a formal Lemon Law action (lawsuit filed to compel the repurchase), the title will have a Lemon Law restriction. If the car was traded for a replacement car through the 'trade assist' program, it may or may not have a title restriction.

Deals can be had, but your remedies in case of a continued HPFP failure are limited. Caveat emptor.

· Looking for an E60 M5
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Title

If someone ran the VIN through CARFAX it would show up as a Buy Back/Lemon. The BMW history pulled on the car showed the car had the extended 10yr/120Kmi warranty on the HPFP. The remaining free service and standard 4yr/50Kmi warranty is still in affect as well.

In my mind the only time the Lemon on the CARFAX will hurt me is on selling. If I keep the car for 5 to 10 years (as planned) I do not think it will greatly affect the selling price; may be 10% to 20%. Taking an example of a 6 year old 530i on Autotrader today the average selling price is $15,000 which means it will cost me about $3000 in six years time. The saving today has to be in the order of $8,000 (Edmunds has the dealer selling price of $43,876).

With all this in my head when I bought the car with a 4.6% loan I felt I had walked away with a great deal. Every time I get the car and hit the gas I know I bought a great car.

· Registered
1,682 Posts
Alistair, I did the exact same gyrations as you and came up with the same conclusion - Cali is wacked and I'm getting a great deal! My California "lemon" is branded as a "Dealer Buyback" on the title btw.

Regarding the HPFP however, I was told by my dealer that because of the buyback, my HPFP is NOT covered by the 10 year/120K warranty deal - just the 50k. Oh well - it has a new on anyway.

· Here for life!!!
576 Posts
Sounds like a great deal. That said, I wouldn't have gone near it. I have had the HPFP issue, and although it was only a small inconvenience, I still get the service engine light all the time, and some have already reported 2nd and 3rd repair issues with the HPFP, injectors, and other various fuel delivery problems. This car is going to be big trouble down the road. Mine wouldn't even come close to qualifying under CA lemon laws, so I can only imagine the repeated problems in yours. When my lease is up it's going back. I would never own this car out of warranty. Best advice to you is get an extended warranty if you can. Something to be said for leasing, I suppose.

· Looking for an E60 M5
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With over two years left on the original warranty I am going to run the car for a year and then review the amount of issues I have had. If it is none or reasonable for a BMW I will leave the extended warranty. If it is high I agree I will pony up the cash and get an extended warranty.

Thanks for all your thoughts; they were extremely helpful.

· Registered
1,682 Posts
I don't think CPO is available on BuyBacks.

Alistar, i see you're from IL - did you buy it at Perillo?

· Registered
97 Posts
I almost picked up a Cali Lemon from Perillo as well ... The savings which these cars are coming it at (specifically via outlets like Perillo who recognize their position in that local market) far outweigh the downside on backend residual and potential further problems (assuming your timeline for ownership is a min of 36months.)

Far too many cars in Cali were branded lemon ... In reality, most of them should have been labeled; Debt Escape.

· Registered
175 Posts
I almost picked up a Cali Lemon from Perillo as well ... The savings which these cars are coming it at (specifically via outlets like Perillo who recognize their position in that local market) far outweigh the downside on backend residual and potential further problems (assuming your timeline for ownership is a min of 36months.)

Far too many cars in Cali were branded lemon ... In reality, most of them should have been labeled; Debt Escape.
That is a perfect example of what I recently purchased. It looked like the car was about 21 months into the lease. Uh oh. Their loss my gain. I paid $23K under original sticker for a vehicle with 23k miles, a perfect service record and 24 months old when I bought it. The vehicle looks new inside and out and under the hood. So now I'm here with the car I always wanted but never wanted to afford.

BTW, I purchased the extended warranty that takes me through 2017 or 100,000 miles. I tend to keep my cars.

· Registered
2,018 Posts
Regarding the HPFP however, I was told by my dealer that because of the buyback, my HPFP is NOT covered by the 10 year/120K warranty deal - just the 50k. Oh well - it has a new on anyway.
Perhaps a tad off topic, but I believe I read somewhere that if your N54 qualifies for the 10-year/120K HPFP warranty, it applies only to the original pump anyway. Once the original pump has been replaced, the replacement pump carries BMW's standard replacement part warranty for that particular part. Can anyone confirm this? :dunno:

· Registered
17 Posts
I wonder does the fact that this car has been in the shop so much, and lemoned, that the chances are greater that the problem has truly been fixed in this car? If so then its a good idea it seems. However if just one HPFP went awry is it now more likely that the other 5 will tend to go as well?

One of the reasons I buy a newer car is that I'm buying the perception of reliability. With the 535i, espc one that has had been lemoned, maybe Im not buying that anymore. I dont want to take off to Tahoe from SF with a car that might not make it.

If it happens again can the car be lemoned twice?

· Registered
5,831 Posts
I wonder does the fact that this car has been in the shop so much, and lemoned, that the chances are greater that the problem has truly been fixed in this car? If so then its a good idea it seems. However if just one HPFP went awry is it now more likely that the other 5 will tend to go as well?

One of the reasons I buy a newer car is that I'm buying the perception of reliability. With the 535i, espc one that has had been lemoned, maybe Im not buying that anymore. I dont want to take off to Tahoe from SF with a car that might not make it.

If it happens again can the car be lemoned twice?
It only has one HPFP. It does have 6 injectors though. :D

No it can't be lemoned twice. Ya knew what ya bought when ya bought it. :rofl:

dj

· I'm a Mac
10,481 Posts

· Looking for an E60 M5
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The one I purchased was different. I wanted Navigation and the Sports Automatic Transmission. I would have liked CWP but black became more important than warm butts. The main points that pushed me to the one I purchased was the in service date of 2/22/08 (01/08 manufactured) and only 15K miles.

By the way I have the full service history and it has only visited a BMW dealer 7 times in 19 months. I really do not know how the previous owner convinced BMW to buy it back. I agree with alex_alex the only logical explanation is debt relief.

Anyway it drives just as nice as my previous five BMW's; even if someone else did not want it. I go outside each night and reassure it that it is safe now with a family that will not throw it away if it wants for a little mechanical attention.

· Registered
6,905 Posts
The one I purchased was different. I wanted Navigation and the Sports Automatic Transmission. I would have liked CWP but black became more important than warm butts. The main points that pushed me to the one I purchased was the in service date of 2/22/08 (01/08 manufactured) and only 15K miles.

By the way I have the full service history and it has only visited a BMW dealer 7 times in 19 months. I really do not know how the previous owner convinced BMW to buy it back. I agree with alex_alex the only logical explanation is debt relief.

Anyway it drives just as nice as my previous five BMW's; even if someone else did not want it. I go outside each night and reassure it that it is safe now with a family that will not throw it away if it wants for a little mechanical attention.
Tell you what - why don't you post what the car was at the dealership for 7 times and I will tell you why it was lemoned. As far as debt relief, that is pure conjecture. What if the car was not financed?

· Looking for an E60 M5
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Reply to anE934fun!

Tell you what - why don't you post what the car was at the dealership for 7 times and I will tell you why it was lemoned. As far as debt relief, that is pure conjecture. What if the car was not financed?
The service history is:

My point about the whole California being nice to BMW purchasing community is highlighted with the repair that takes place at 14,401 miles. This repair takes place after 12 months ownership. Only in California does the Lemon Law extend beyond the first 12 months. Reading the service history closely the car was returned three times for "fuel delivery" problems.

Once again I say thank you to the Californian law makers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.