BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just want to say that I have been a silent member of this forum for years and the information and diy's that people provide are amazing and extremely helpful. All of you guys are appreciated, so now its my turn to give back or at least show you why rebuilding racks is left to the experts.

I have never done this before, so any pointers or constructive criticism are/is welcome! I have rebuilt my alternators and starters, rebuilt the n62 and m54 but my inner DIY mechanic is screaming at me don't do it. Screw it, another rack is $100 on eBay right now so i'm going to share my future pain for your viewing pleasure.

You can order a rebuild kit from Corteco/Transtec:

http://www.transtec.com/power_steering_kits.php

There is no way to order online. You have to call (419) 499-2502 and ask for sales to place an order. The kit for the E65 was $77.57 w/ S&H.

I don't know how to paste pictures inline and too lazy to try and figure out how, so they are attachments. I will break open the package and try to figure out exactly what gaskets are included later today. The car is up on jacks and i havent dropped the rack yet due to weather, so my updates may be slow.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I asked the salesman when purchasing, "What parts come in the kit?" her response, "I don't know. All the soft ones." still funny to me..

Cracked open the pack and there are 44 total pieces. I grouped them together and there are still 27-28 different "groups". I was honestly expecting just the gaskets behind the inner tie rods. We all know that quantity and price don't always go hand-in-hand when dealing with bimmer gaskets. For instance, that company that sells you 2 gaskets for $18 and then charges $12 for shipping. That still bugs me.. Moving along, looking at the exploded diagram, I guess she was right. It does appear to have all of the soft parts. Using my average-level power of deduction, I have concluded that this will probably turn into the "watch this guy destroy his steering rack and buy a used one from eBay/w pictures even!" thread.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My apologies for the delay but when I got the steering rack off, removed the boots and saw this; I had to walk away for a while. Yep, my wheels were straight and steering wheel locked before i even jacked up the car. Got another rack from the junkyard and now i'm rebuilding that.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts