BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ran Mosquito Pass today from East to West. The East side was quite challenging, which caused much anxiety on the passenger side.

Met a Rubicon near the summit going the other way whose driver made the above comment. Lots of stares, finger pointing, and disbelief from other Jeepers we saw.

No obvious scrapes or dents found.

Modifications: 235-65-18 Falkens @ 35psi, swaybars disconnected F/R

·
Registered
736 Posts
Nice. I've gotten a similar reaction taking mine down Schnebly Hill Rd here near Sedona. It's completely capable.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Where is your head??
In the right place, IMO. Should I have taken the M5 down the trail? For some of us, this is an offroad vehicle. I'm not going to do a Moab run, but I don't think twice about leaving the pavement. Good tires and a towstrap! :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

My only worry would be the low profile tires getting cut on rocks
Not sure that 65 series are considered low profile anymore....seriously considering a set of 245/70/17 KM2's though. The Falkens (Sumitomo) performed well, though.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
In the right place, IMO. Should I have taken the M5 down the trail? For some of us, this is an offroad vehicle. I'm not going to do a Moab run, but I don't think twice about leaving the pavement. Good tires and a towstrap! :)
I was referring to the picture :p

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Anti-Hack
5,483 Posts
Not sure that 65 series are considered low profile anymore....seriously considering a set of 245/70/17 KM2's though. The Falkens (Sumitomo) performed well, though.
For off roading they are, at least compared to the 33x12.50-R15s I ran on my K5.

I've taken my X3 down into old creek beds and through mountain trails in the Catskills, as well as on the beaches in the Hamptons and OBX, and the only pause for concern I'd had was punctured or pinched tires. I avoid anything I should use Lo-range for.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts