BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question.......... your out sportin' around in your fancy new car and you find yourself low on fuel, small town usa only has regular gas. What are the repercussions of running regular?

·
Flying monkey herder
8,170 Posts
Question.......... your out sportin' around in your fancy new car and you find yourself low on fuel, small town usa only has regular gas. What are the repercussions of running regular?
engine will pull timing to compensate, which will drop power and fuel economy levels.

89 is the min for the 335i

Super Premium Gasoline/AKI 91
This gasoline is highly recommended.
However, you may also use gasoline with less
AKI. The minimum AKI Rating is:
> 323i, 328i/xi: 87
> 335i: 89.
If you use gasoline with this minimum AKI Rating,
the engine may produce knocking sounds
when starting at high outside temperatures.
This has no effect on the engine life

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
with price difference of only 10-15 cents per gallon, i would not risk it with anything less than 91.
The OP said "small town usa only has regular gas."

My suggestion, drive someone else's car to hick town that takes 87. :thumbup:

·
Registered
942 Posts
i would only put in a couple gallons in or whatever you need to make it to an area with proper gas. once there, fill up with premium to bring the octane rating back up as much as possible.

·
resident dj
201 Posts
The OP said "small town usa only has regular gas."

My suggestion, drive someone else's car to hick town that takes 87. :thumbup:
I know. I was replying to Orient's comment. If 87 is all you got, so be it.

My boss fills up his brand new G37 with 89, saying that California has higher octane than the rest of the states.
I could not convince the guy that $100 he saves in a year, is hardly worth it...

·
Registered
581 Posts
Interesting post. Start carrying some octane boost in the trunk going foward.

·
Registered
372 Posts
BTW - I'm not sure where this hypothetical town would be anyway. I'm from a small town of a 1,000 people in the Midwest and return to visit family a couple of times for year. They've had two stations with unleaded gas for 30 years. The only thing I could imagine is needing gas at a farm house that happens to have an old regular gas pump for non-diesel farm equipment or something. Had a couple of friends with those.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As a former gas station owner for years I can tell ya it's not to uncommon to come across small towns that sell regular unleaded and diesel, thats it. Also I think you will find it more and more common to come across places with out of order signs on the supreme handle.....the cost is very high to have it sitting in the ground and a lot of small operators cannot afford it. One last thing, Plus is a blend of supreme and regular, at my stores it was blended right at the pump from my two 8000 gallon tanks in the ground.

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,163 Posts
I know. I was replying to Orient's comment. If 87 is all you got, so be it.

My boss fills up his brand new G37 with 89, saying that California has higher octane than the rest of the states.
I could not convince the guy that $100 he saves in a year, is hardly worth it...
Tell your boss that New Hampshire has 93 octane in any brand you want. Look around a little and you can find 94! Hafners has 107, but it's leaded. Made my 66'Stang go like hell with the timing set at a base of 24 degrees and a total advance of 36.

·
Registered
94 Posts
A guy in my office has an '04 530i and says he fills it up regularly with regular. Shocking to some but this guy is a gearhead and seems to more than know his stuff. The actual difference between the octanes he says, "is all in your head". Anyway, definitely good to know you can use 89, premium is ridiculously expensive.

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,358 Posts
A guy in my office has an '04 530i and says he fills it up regularly with regular. Shocking to some but this guy is a gearhead and seems to more than know his stuff. The actual difference between the octanes he says, "is all in your head".
Damn. Spent all that time getting an SM in Chemical Engineering from MIT, only to finally learn from a gearhead in the office that all that stuff they taught me was wrong.

Who'da think it!

George

·
Insert T I T L E here
1,970 Posts
Damn. Spent all that time getting an SM in Chemical Engineering from MIT, only to finally learn from a gearhead in the office that all that stuff they taught me was wrong.

Who'da think it!

George
You were course 10? We should talk. :)

What's an SM?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts