BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my 530 to the dealer and got a 335 loaner. Holy crap, the I6-twin turbo pins you to the seat...and I'm embarrassed to say that a couple times it felt like I was on the verge of losing control!...tons of torque. I think it was a sick joke by the dealer because getting back into my 530 was a downer :(

Off the line, you can really feel the turbo lag for what feels like almost a full second but then...it kicks in and :yikes::yikes::yikes: It was, by far, the quickest car I've ever driven. Plenty of torque through all of the gears...6 of them.

Not sure how much heavier the 535 will be or how that will effect the performance but I think alot of people holding out to keep their E39 body style may start to jump ship. This engine is irresistible!

·
Sandlapper Chapter
2,912 Posts
That's why I don't want to drive one...or my 330i will be completely inferior.

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
That's it :mad: I a moving to Chicago.

·
"Clunker" *****
4,684 Posts
Took my 530 to the dealer and got a 335 loaner. Holy crap, the I6-twin turbo pins you to the seat...and I'm embarrassed to say that a couple times it felt like I was on the verge of losing control!...tons of torque. I think it was a sick joke by the dealer because getting back into my 530 was a downer :(

Off the line, you can really feel the turbo lag for what feels like almost a full second but then...it kicks in and :yikes::yikes::yikes: It was, by far, the quickest car I've ever driven. Plenty of torque through all of the gears...6 of them.

Not sure how much heavier the 535 will be or how that will effect the performance but I think alot of people holding out to keep their E39 body style may start to jump ship. This engine is irresistible!
I just can't express the joy and thanks that all of us E-39ers have that you have chosen to share this with us on our forum. Mille grazi.

·
the dunks guy.
308 Posts
Can't wait until the new M3 comes out.
Imagine the power thats gonna be pumped from the V-8!

·
Registered
567 Posts
335i Coupe 6 Speed only put about a half car on me from 30-90.

·
looking for a car
2,576 Posts
now try riding in a 335i with a procede custom mapping, full exhaust, intercooler, 3x boost and then report back.

thats my friends ride and all i can say is man it pulls like a mother.

·
Registered
58 Posts

that wasn't turbo lag, that was the automatic transmission

·
e39 m5 touring aspirant
1,725 Posts
+1...no turbo lag sir, you got twins in it. you should try driving a stick 335i...i had the liberty once...the only time we had a stick 335i coupe in the dealership. then i thought, "man, i even thought paddle shifting was cool, but nothing beats slammin the clutch!"

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Yes, the lag is the steptronic, but put it in DS mode or shift manually and it's transformed from a sheep to a cheetah. No lag whatsoever.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If that's the quickest car you've ever driven, you need to get out more!
Yeah, I know. I had a feeling I might get a response like this. I suppose I haven't driven that many cars. But, that thing was scary fast.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Its rated at 300 hp but one of the magazines put it on a dyno and found out that its really putting out around 350 hp at the flywheel, stock.

With mods like mentioned above one would be approaching 400 hp.

The twin turbos are each small for quick spool up, to eliminate lag. They could easily have gone with one larger turbo but it would be slower to spool up due to much greater rotational inertia.

The new M3 is rated at 425 hp I beleive, but that too is under rated.

·
Registered
130 Posts
man you have been bitten. did you sleep well after that drive:yikes:? make the trade soon and avoid the Ambien:D

·
Analyst + Therapist = ...
8,102 Posts
Off the line, you can really feel the turbo lag for what feels like almost a full second...
I actually disagree about the lag. I couldn't notice it at all, or maybe my perception of how awful turbos are warped it.

I haven't driven a turbo for awhile, but the 911 turbo I drove for 2 weeks made me time my accelerations, the volvo turbo I drove was a friggen joke.

The 335 felt like a small block v8

Now, the drive by wire delay (that's my sense of it) is still there. I too have a '02 530iA and I thought the delay was the same.

If you want Zero delay, get a dumple pumper carb

·
Registered
106 Posts
when at a stop, the 335 starts on 2nd gear- which may give a feeling of "turbo lag"?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
More accurately it was the fly by wire throttle program for the D mode of the auto. The algorithm learns your tendancies, gets better with a few hundred miles. In DS mode, my car has no lag whatsoever, everything right now. Another issue for both the auto and the manual is DSC, which cuts in and interupts things if the non limited slip rear slips.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts