The all new 2016 BMW 330e eDrive - Starting at $43,700
The BMW 330e represents the next evolution of the beloved and iconic BMW 3 Series. Combining BMW's award-winning 2.0 liter 4-cylinder engine with a lithium-ion powered electric motor, the 330e delivers the legendary power you expect from a BMW with groundbreaking fuel efficiency: combined output of 248 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque that propels the 330e from 0-60 in just 5.9 seconds.
The 330e made its US debut at the 2015 Los Angeles Auto Show. It starts production in November 2015 and will arrive in showrooms during the first quarter of 2016. Pricing starts at $43,700 + $995 D&H.
The first ever BMW 330e Highlights
- New B48 4-cylinder 2.0L engine with 87hp electric motor
- Total system output: 248hp / 310 lb-ft
- Cabin Pre Conditioning via My BMW Remote App
- Approximately 22 miles on a single charge (to be confirmed), up to 75mph max speed
- 7.6 kWh Li-Ion battery
- MPGe ***8211; To be determined
- 0-60 in 5.9s
- MSRP $43,700 + $995 D&H
- 2016 3 Series 330e eDrive pricing guide
- 2016 3 Series 330e eDrive ordering guide
BMW EfficientDynamics eDrive technology promises exceptionally efficient performance as well as the potential for all-electric mobility with zero tailpipe emissions, ushering in a whole new form of driving experience in a Sports Sedan. An array of innovative technologies ensures you get from point A to B as efficiently as possible. Intelligent Route Planning, for example, analyzes your route, and uses data from the BMW Navigation System to seamlessly switch to all-electric at low speeds, providing a nearly silent, zero-emission drive.
The 330e combines BMW's award-winning 2.0-liter TwinPower Turbo 4-cylinder engine with an electric motor, powered by a lithium-ion battery, integrated into its 8-speed automatic transmission. The 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine generates a maximum output of 180 hp and 215 lb-ft of peak torque and features a TwinScroll turbocharger, High Precision Injection, VALVETRONIC fully variable valve lift control, and Double-VANOS variable camshaft timing. The additional electric motor provides peak torque that is available from a stand-still in typical electric drive fashion. This has the effect of boosting the engine's output for instantaneous responsiveness and power build-up with no delay when accelerating from stationary, as well as far more dynamic performance whenever a quick burst of speed is required. Thanks to its duo of drive units, intelligent hybrid powertrain control and permanent all-wheel drive, the BMW 330e promises effortless performance and outstanding efficiency.
BMW B46 Engine Technical Details
On the outside, the most noticeable feature distinguishing the 330e from other 3 Series models is the charging connection for the high-voltage battery located in the left front fender. At the start of the charging process, the connection glows blue to indicate the flow of energy. An "eDrive" logo is also on the C-Pillars, the door sills, and the center console beneath the gear selector lever.
The 330e features a flat trunk floor with full usability, and 40/20/40 fold-down rear seats as standard.
Configurable Powertrain Control (eDrive button)
In addition to the Driving Dynamics Control switch found in all 3 Series Sports Sedans, which can be used to alter throttle mapping, steering characteristics, and transmission responses, the eDrive button on the center console of the 330e lets the driver modify the powertrain control with three distinct modes:
- AUTO eDrive (default setting) - both engine and electric motor working efficiently in tandem. The electric motor alone is used for accelerating from a stop under normal conditions, while the engine cuts in at around 45 mph or when the driver wishes to accelerate quickly. In this mode, the intelligent operating strategy determines the most efficient drive combination at all times and switches to it automatically.
- MAX eDrive (all-electric driving mode) - the vehicle is powered solely by the electric motor. This mode is designed for comfortable driving with zero local emissions without the engine being started, and offers a maximum range of 20+ miles (to be confirmed) at a limited top speed of 75 mph.
- SAVE Battery - allows the driver to save or build up the high-voltage battery's energy reserves for a later point in time. When driving on the highway, for instance, the state of charge can be kept constant or even boosted in order to use the high-voltage battery's power for all-electric driving in urban areas later in the journey. In this way, the stored electrical energy can be selectively deployed exactly when required.
The modes selectable with the eDrive button and the Driving Dynamics Control switch can be combined with one another at will, allowing the driver to precisely tailor the vehicle's behavior to their personal preferences.
The 330e standard equipment profile is based on 328i RWD with a few differences[/B]
- 330e features Pre-Conditioning, which is not available on any other 3 Series model
- The Extended Instrument Cluster (6WA), normally bundled with Navigation, is standard equipment
- Remote Services (6AP), normally bundled with Navigation, is not available for 330e. Instead, PHEV Connected Drive +
- Remote Services (6AG) is standard equipment
- The 330e has a fuel door release button. As part of BMW's fuel system strategy, the 330e requires a pressurized fuel
- tank. This pressure needs to be released prior to opening the fuel door
- 8-Speed Sport Automatic Transmission with Shift Paddles (2TB) is not available; an 8-Speed Automatic Transmission
- with Shift Paddles (2TE) is standard; the gear shift lever is slightly different:
2016 BMW 3 Series Pricing and Ordering guides
The 330e customer has the same Optional Equipment choices as a 328i RWD, with the exception of:
- Track Handling Package (ZTR)
- xDrive AWD
- Adaptive M Suspension (2VF) upgrade within M Sport Package (ZMP)
- 8-Speed Sport Automatic Transmission with Shift Paddles (2TB)
Want more 330e Details? Read our technical breakdown of the 330e drivetrain
268.2 KB Views: 9,399
145.8 KB Views: 1,599
120.4 KB Views: 662
106.5 KB Views: 598
180.6 KB Views: 599
115.8 KB Views: 1,638
118.3 KB Views: 596
61 KB Views: 6,715
79.4 KB Views: 796
277.6 KB Views: 895
277.6 KB Views: 737