BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been getting weird random error messages on my '05 645. Battery was replaced about 7-8 months ago. From reading on this site, seemed liked it may be an alternator issue. Since I rarely drive the car, I purchased a Tender and plug it up as soon as I get home. Noticed that the tender took ALL night to go green (fully charged status). So I decided to do some preventive maintanence and have the alternator replace. Found a remanufactured alt on partsgeek.com. Had an indy replace it. Picked it up and got about 100 yards and damn near all my warning lights started coming on, my screen goes blank. I pulled over and turned the car off. Started it up and everything seems fine.......pulled off and everything is going haywire again. Turned around and BARELY made it back to the shop. They put a meter on it and it read normal voltage at idle but 17v+ when gassed..........:bawling:

·
Michael
2,518 Posts
Have to say that these cars need to be driven regularly, they don;t do well on very low mileage and long periods between use, mostly due to electronics and battery issues. Even if the battery was new 7-8 months ago with little or no use you could well have fully discharged it hence the time taken to recharge. Have you checked the battery condition window on the top of the battery.....it should be bright green!!!!
As for the alternator..... second hand can always be an issue as you have no real idea of its history and prove to be false economy.
I would recharge the battery again and when not in use leave a trickle charge............ start from here and see if the battery will hold its charge...... cars are power hungry..... you can hear the battery burp on startup as so much power taken lol

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.