BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Learning all the time
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Broken rear coil springs! Damned speed humps! I should sue the government :)

I'm sure it had nothing at all to do with the 2 ton trolley jack I carry around in the boot!

·
Registered
15,638 Posts
I hope they don't start that in CA! We only need to pass a smog test every two years.

·
Learning all the time
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe your smog test is quite severe!

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
I hope they don't start that in CA!
Interestingly, California doesn't care about safety when it comes to inspections.

In other states, they do a thorough inspection (for free, in addition), where they check the lights, horn, brakes (you get out of the car and they test your brakes by driving the car for you), signals, windshield, tires, and even your ball joints (yes, they lift the car up in the air with you still in it to check this).

When I moved to California, I was shocked how lax the state inspections are ... they care about only two things ... money (it costs ten times more for ten times less) ... and pollution (which, knowing California, probably has something to do with federal money but I'm not sure of that).

Anyway, it won't come soon to California because they can't make any money on it (my opinion) ... so don't worry just yet.

·
Registered
656 Posts
thats too bad . how much does an MOT cost for the year anyway ?is it the same for the smaller engines?

·
Learning all the time
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a standard government rate for all cars, irrespective of the engine size. The charge has just gone up to £54-85. But garages are not bound to charge that amount. You can get an MOT done for upwards of £30. The norm is now more like £40 - £45.

·
Registered
656 Posts
There is a standard government rate for all cars, irrespective of the engine size. The charge has just gone up to £54-85. But garages are not bound to charge that amount. You can get an MOT done for upwards of £30. The norm is now more like £40 - £45.
well thats not too bad ,i thought it was very high because so many people emphasize that their car has MOT when selling or buying . but i guess its just to know the car is road worthy

·
Learning all the time
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, both are broken? Did you notice anything odd about the way it handled? Any odd noises?
Yes, right at the bottom, just above the mounting plate.
And no, I didn't notice anything re: handling. You don't when you have a heavy trolley jack in the boot :) It tends to fall from side to side anyway :) I really must find a new home for my trolley jack!
And yes, every time I went over a biggish bump (or a speed hump!) there was a noise - like a metallic clink. Now I know why!

525isport,
It is commonly advertised as a sales point, if there is a long MOT on the vehicle. I don't set much store on it myself, as these things can be bogus.
The MOT is quite an exhaustive test. It takes about 40 minutes to do.

·
BMW FETISH!!!
5,405 Posts
Here in Victoria, Melbourne we don't have any inspections or smog tests. If a police officer pulls you over and suspects your car is unroadworthy then he/she will give you a defect and it must be repaired in a certain amount of time. Also when purchasing a car you must get a roadworthy certificate to transfer the vehicles registration into your name

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Registered
15,638 Posts
525isport

The annual fee for license renewal is based on some state-calculated value, depreciated every year, based on the first year the car was registered in the state. The total fee this year was $125.

·
BMW FETISH!!!
5,405 Posts
Here we pay 600aud a year no matter what you drive

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

1 - 13 of 13 Posts