BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems that the wagon is taking up most of my free time these days. While awaiting new brakes/rotors/sensors, ses came on..thermostat needed replaced. Figured while I was in there (stupid me didn't replace water pump), I changed both belts for prevention. All was fine, but now upon start up, I hear squeak squeak squeak. Seems in unison with belt rotation, and sometimes goes away when warm. Wondering if pulleys/tensioner are bad, but would like to avoid taking this beast back apart..I hate the friggin fan! (auto) Any reccommendations? Thanks in advance. BTW..I recorded the sound if anyone wants to hear it.

·
No User Serviceable Parts
1,464 Posts
Replace the idler pulley and the tensioner pulley and your problems should disappear.

There is one more pulley with the air conditioner belt, but it's about $100 to replace. I'd try that one last. You can troubleshoot by taking off the belts, and spinning each pulley.

The one that spins like a rollerskate wheel is the bad one, but you might as well replace them both anyway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replace the idler pulley and the tensioner pulley and your problems should disappear.

There is one more pulley with the air conditioner belt, but it's about $100 to replace. I'd try that one last. You can troubleshoot by taking off the belts, and spinning each pulley.

The one that spins like a rollerskate wheel is the bad one, but you might as well replace them both anyway.
Is it possible to adjust the drive belt tensioner? Could I have loosened when replacing the belt? I understand it's spring loaded, but just wondering if there's a manual adjustment. Thanks again.

·
1,464 Posts
Is it possible to adjust the drive belt tensioner? Could I have loosened when replacing the belt? I understand it's spring loaded, but just wondering if there's a manual adjustment. Thanks again.
It is self-adjusting, and there is no manual adjustment. The only way you could have loosened it would have been to actually loosened the bolt that holds it in place.

This new age of drive belt systems are great in that the belt never squeaks as it stretches and gets more brittle, but then again, you never have an audible warning like you used to that your belts are about ready to go!

The only thing squeaking now are the tensioners themselves.

·
Coupe OR Never
1,445 Posts
When I was doing cooling system overhaul, I replaced the belts and drivebelt tensioner but NOT the idler pulley. Squeak started in 2 weeks. It was very annoying. I diagnosed it as the idler pulley and replaced it. It was indeed the problem.

Mrblorry, I didn't understand why you mean by "There is one more pulley with the air conditioner belt, but it's about $100 to replace."

As far as I know the drivebelt and accessory belt tensioners are the same and they only cost about $50 if NOT bought at the dealer. Autohausaz sells very good quality OEMs.

·
Registered
54 Posts

i just bought an air conditioner belt tensioner pulley for $50.00

·
Registered
204 Posts

+1

I just replaced the idler and tensioner, all is quiet! Hope that works for you too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, you guys rock. I can't thank everyone on this forum enough. You help to save tons of money, and educate those who wish to learn. I hope that when I have to switch over from the e46, I can continue to work on these wonderful machines! Thanks again...

·
1,464 Posts
Mrblorry, I didn't understand why you mean by "There is one more pulley with the air conditioner belt, but it's about $100 to replace."

As far as I know the drivebelt and accessory belt tensioners are the same and they only cost about $50 if NOT bought at the dealer. Autohausaz sells very good quality OEMs.
There are three tensioners or pulleys. The idler, the tensioner itself, and the A/C tensioner, the latter being an entire assembly rather than just the pulley itself, hence it's greater cost, but...

i just bought an air conditioner belt tensioner pulley for $50.00
That's a great price! Tischer has part# 11281433571 (11287512758 for post 9/2002 cars) for $95. Kolian, where did you get this part?

Here's the diagram. Part #2 has to be purchased in its entirety; the pulley itself cannot:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

There are three tensioners or pulleys. The idler, the tensioner itself, and the A/C tensioner, the latter being an entire assembly rather than just the pulley itself, hence it's greater cost, but...

That's a great price! Tischer has part# 11281433571 (11287512758 for post 9/2002 cars) for $95. Kolian, where did you get this part?

Here's the diagram. Part #2 has to be purchased in its entirety; the pulley itself cannot:

Is this what your talking about?...half way down
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/catalog/shopcart/BE46/POR_BE46_VENTac_pg1.htm#item0

·
1,464 Posts
It sure is! Wow! Tischer usually has about the lowest prices on OEM parts, but not on this one!! Tischer's price is $95.78!

I stand corrected. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone...both pulley and tensioner were bad...spun like a bad rollerskate wheel. New ones in, and a much quieter engine..on to the next challenge! Thanks again!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts