Whether you just want to save a buck or love the challenge of repairing your modern day BMW, you'll definitely want the best BMW scanner at your disposal.

Since 1996, all cars that have been manufactured for sale in the US have been required to be OBD (On Board Diagnostics) II compliant. This meant that the vehicles needed to have a diagnostic port that is accessible to the consumer to access trouble codes with a scan tool when the engines system of complex sensors would find parameters out of specification. In the early days of OBD II, only shops would invest in the expensive technology of scanners, but as time has gone one, the cost of these diagnostic tools has gone down.

Currently, there are plenty of options for DIY mechanics to own one of these scan tools at budget price points to full blown professional models. What's the difference? Some like the convenience of being able use their smartphones with in conjunction with an adaptor that plugs into the OBD II port. Other, more professional models, can not only provide the many codes and explanations that your vehicles computer can trigger, but can also provide real time data to help diagnose problems if you know what you're looking for.

Which are the best? One person's favorite may be another's worst nightmare, so we want to know which you prefer. Whether you access the data with your phone or prefer the traditional model that is like a handheld computer, we'd love for you to share with other members who may be looking into getting one for themselves. Just like many of my other posts, I'll compile our forum member feedback and list which are the favorites and if there's one you suggest to stay away from, I'll be sure to pass that along as well.

Thanks for your help and input! I look forward to seeing what you all have to say!

Lead photo courtesy of LightFoot Studios/Shutterstock