BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The BMW Accessory Jack Set

Anybody using this set to do regular summer to winter tire set changes? I would assume it can stand up to use 2x a year w/o risk of failure.

Reason for asking is, I had recently read that a member here reported having jack failure while he was in the process of changing a tire and I wanted to see if this was an isolated case or possibly even user negligence.

The kit itself seems perfect;

* Scissors-type jack. A hand wheel on the jack allows it to be raised quickly into position
* Jack ratchet handle to quickly and easily raise and lower the vehicle
* Torque wrench fixed at 130 Nm will click audibly when the correct torque is reached
* Torque wrench can be used to loosen wheel studs
* Folding wedge sheel chock
* Cotton gloves
* Tire marking chalk
* Operating instructions

Thanks,
Daytrader

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have never done the Summer/Winter swap as I have always used All Season. For my next car, I will be getting the high performance tires from the factory. So, I will be entering the large group of people doing tire swaps twice a year.

All the research I have done indicates that you should get a dedicated jack to keep in your garage and not the accessory one that you can put in the trunk. Mostly because the accessory one if for emergencies only, is flimsy, does not withstand frequent use, and can be use improperly easier than a larger jack.

Here is the list of jacks and stands that have been suggested by people. The prices range from $80 to $2,000. I haven't made up my mind yet.

The Craftsman 3 ton Floor Jack, Jack Stands and Creeper Set can be found here at an affordable price.

Torin Aluminum Double-Pump Race Jack - 1 1/2-Ton, Model# T81509 can be found here.

Torin Aluminum Race Jack Stands - 3-Ton, Model# T43004 can be found here.

Dannmar Portable Auto Lift - 2-Post System, Mid-Rise, Model# 120050/Maxjax can be found here.

The AC Hydraulic DK13HLQ jack is a good one, but very expensive and hard to find. A suggested alternative is the Omega Model 29023 Low Profile Magic Lift Service Jack (see here).

Jack Pads can be found here.

That said, I still need the adjustable torque wrench. So, I like the idea of the BMW kit. Where do you find it and how much is it?

·
Chicks dig Wagons!
4,846 Posts
I have never done the Summer/Winter swap as I have always used All Season. For my next car, I will be getting the high performance tires from the factory. So, I will be entering the large group of people doing tire swaps twice a year.

All the research I have done indicates that you should get a dedicated jack to keep in your garage and not the accessory one that you can put in the trunk. Mostly because the accessory one if for emergencies only, is flimsy, does not withstand frequent use, and can be use improperly easier than a larger jack.

Here is the list of jacks and stands that have been suggested by people. The prices range from $80 to $2,000. I haven't made up my mind yet.

The Craftsman 3 ton Floor Jack, Jack Stands and Creeper Set can be found here at an affordable price.

Torin Aluminum Double-Pump Race Jack - 1 1/2-Ton, Model# T81509 can be found here.

Dannmar Portable Auto Lift - 2-Post System, Mid-Rise, Model# 120050/Maxjax can be found here.

The AC Hydraulic DK13HLQ jack is a good one, but very expensive and hard to find. A suggested alternative is the Omega Model 29023 Low Profile Magic Lift Service Jack (see here).

That said, I still need the adjustable torque wrench. So, I like the idea of the BMW kit. Where do you find it and how much is it?
+1. This is what I've read as well.

And, big thanks to F-B for this incredibly useful post! :thumbup:

Great info.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Yes, I agree.

If one could buy the torque wrench (fixed at 130 Nm will click audibly when the correct torque is reached) separately that would be better and then source the other components from other more durable makers.

I do not think BMW sells them as separates. Anyone know different?

·
Skjoni's Dad
1,733 Posts
I have the BMW kit as I have dedicated snows and they are non-RF. I've swapped tires twice (and will be doing again soon) and the jack works well. I'm sure it's slower than a pump type jack, but fine for me. That way, I can also put it in the trunk with a spare for long summer trips and winter non_RF driving. works for me.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

http://www.circlebmw.com/parts/accessories/71106773536.htm

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The BMW kit is more than adequate for the seasonal change and for the odd flat tire but it should never be used for anything that requires one to be under the car.

·
Gooble Goobledygoook
955 Posts
Anybody using this set to do regular summer to winter tire set changes? I would assume it can stand up to use 2x a year w/o risk of failure.

Reason for asking is, I had recently read that a member here reported having jack failure while he was in the process of changing a tire and I wanted to see if this was an isolated case or possibly even user negligence.
I use the jack set to do rotations. I have jack stands, and make sure the car is on the stand before I start swapping tires. That way, if the jack breaks, it will only occur when the wheel is mounted.

And.... the funny thing is that I've never heard the torque wrench 'click' :) I have a dedicated, separate torque wrench, the one that comes with the jack set is used more like a crossbar, when I loosen the lugs / nuts.

·
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!
932 Posts
I have the jack set, and have used it for the seasonal change the last 2 years. My impression is that it is sturdy enough, definitely more hefty than the scissor jack that came with my wife's Sienna, which I have used for yearly changes since 2000. That one is starting to look scary as it leans over to one side under load.
I don't place any body part under the car, and certainly don't waste time between taking one wheel off and putting the other on.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Jacking up the car & removing a wheel is something I really hate doing - heart rate goes sky high till the wheel is safely back on. I'm wary of using scissor jacks and always use an axle stand before removing the wheel. So far so good.

·
Registered
182 Posts
This helps a lot because I had not found anything yet. I must admit, however, that I am not familiar with the Gorilla brand. Are they good?

Also, I see the BMW Accessory Kit contains a wrench with a curved tip. Does it make any difference in comparison with a straight wrench with the socket exactly at 90 degrees?

Finally, the notes for the BMW Accessory Kit say that the torque is set to 130 Nm. I assume the units are Newton per meter. What's the equivalent in ft/lbs in case the Gorilla wrench uses "the other" system?

Thanks!

·
Registered
591 Posts
130N/m ~ 95.88 lbs/ft
1 N-m = 0.737561 lb-ft
google is your friend :)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This helps a lot because I had not found anything yet. I must admit, however, that I am not familiar with the Gorilla brand. Are they good?

Also, I see the BMW Accessory Kit contains a wrench with a curved tip. Does it make any difference in comparison with a straight wrench with the socket exactly at 90 degrees?

Finally, the notes for the BMW Accessory Kit say that the torque is set to 130 Nm. I assume the units are Newton per meter. What's the equivalent in ft/lbs in case the Gorilla wrench uses "the other" system?

Thanks!
I forgot to add this, it looks pretty good for the price.
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=67

As to quality of the products, I think TR would stand by them. I would call to ask before an order.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have the BMW kit as I have dedicated snows and they are non-RF. I've swapped tires twice (and will be doing again soon) and the jack works well. I'm sure it's slower than a pump type jack, but fine for me. That way, I can also put it in the trunk with a spare for long summer trips and winter non_RF driving. works for me.:thumbup:
+1 .. I did mine 3 seasons (so 6 times) and it's still like new. Works fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts

The kit itself seems perfect;

* Scissors-type jack. A hand wheel on the jack allows it to be raised quickly into position
* Jack ratchet handle to quickly and easily raise and lower the vehicle
* Torque wrench fixed at 130 Nm will click audibly when the correct torque is reached
* Torque wrench can be used to loosen wheel studs
* Folding wedge sheel chock
* Cotton gloves
* Tire marking chalk
* Operating instructions

Thanks,
Daytrader
I have this kit.

It's actually a breaker bar, not a torque wrench. It will still get the job done, though. You just won't get the audible click you are expecting.

I have used it several times now. Most recently, to swap on my winter set -- works great. Make sure you have a rubber mallet handy.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have this kit.

It's actually a breaker bar, not a torque wrench. It will still get the job done, though. You just won't get the audible click you are expecting.

I have used it several times now. Most recently, to swap on my winter set -- works great. Make sure you have a rubber mallet handy.
Thanks for the feedback.

Is your kit one of the newer versions?

I only ask because I'm under the impression the newest kit has the torque wrench at the preset fixed 130 Nm. If this in not the case, the kit has less appeal to me and I would rather just go with different 'non-mobile type' kit vs a car kit as I plan not to carry a tire/jack in the car.

I will definitely get clarification before making a purchase of the BMW jack kit set.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
66 Posts
Few comments:
1. Costco sells a nice hydraulic jack, c. $100.
2. Never, never, never stick body parts under a car without positive support. Postive meaning solid metal, not the hydraulic fluid in a jack. Not a (new) cinderblock... hit those with a big hammer and they vaporize!
3. When changing wheeels at the roadside: after removing the wheel from the car, stick the wheel under the car. Should something happen to the jack, first the damage will be limited and second the car will still be elevated enough to get a jack in to continue the wheel change. And should you have ignored #2 above, your fingers won't be mashed potatoes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts