BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

A few weeks ago I replaced my driveshaft, see This Thread Here

After about 10-15 miles of driving and coming to a stop, I noticed that when letting the clutch out and moving forward, I feel a clink (word choice is specific) in the shifter and pedals.
With the windows down its pretty loud and sounds like hollow metal tubes hitting each other. I've attached several Videos and Audio clips but it was tough to capture.
I'm able to reproduce it every time by going in reverse, then forward, then reverse and I hear it clink. If I stay in first and roll back then go forward again, it doesn't seem to happen all the time. But every time from reverse to forward and vice versa. (see videos, there are a few times I do it)

I suppose I want to ask, is it possible that it could be the clutch engaging and clanking? It sounds like I need a new throwout bearing (guide bearing) from the rattling, but I'm lost.. :dunno:

I've positioned the videos in all different areas of the car to try and isolate it but I'm beyond frustrated at this point... :mad:

Any questions or suggestions let me know. Cars in the air till I figure this out/fix it. :thumbdwn:

Video:
https://youtu.be/v74Wz_Mt0Cw

Audio:
(listen at 00:03, This is from inside the car Peaked higher frequency to hear it clearer)
http://vocaroo.com/i/s04i36VKOzzs

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
A few weeks ago I replaced my driveshaft, see This Thread Here

After about 10-15 miles of driving and coming to a stop, I noticed that when letting the clutch out and moving forward, I feel a clink (word choice is specific) in the shifter and pedals.
With the windows down its pretty loud and sounds like hollow metal tubes hitting each other. I've attached several Videos and Audio clips but it was tough to capture.
I'm able to reproduce it every time by going in reverse, then forward, then reverse and I hear it clink. If I stay in first and roll back then go forward again, it doesn't seem to happen all the time. But every time from reverse to forward and vice versa. (see videos, there are a few times I do it)

I suppose I want to ask, is it possible that it could be the clutch engaging and clanking? It sounds like I need a new throwout bearing (guide bearing) from the rattling, but I'm lost..
Well right off the bat, Clanking NO ------ Clinking YES

Ok we got that straight. Now look, to find a noise you gotta follow it to its source. That can be done THIS WAY. Great! You know where it is; you know what to do.

Emoticon Cartoon Yellow Icon Illustration

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Screwed up my own verbiage... Thanks for the catch lol.
The Ultrasonics seem a bit expensive, and I have a regular mechanics stethoscope somewhere. It's just a bit tough to use while the car moves albeit only slightly. Ill try and give it a go tomorrow once its light out again.
I suppose I just hope someone sees this with a similar experience that got resolved.
Thanks for your reply Calwaterboy!

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
Screwed up my own verbiage... Thanks for the catch lol.
The Ultrasonics seem a bit expensive, and I have a regular mechanics stethoscope somewhere. It's just a bit tough to use while the car moves albeit only slightly. Ill try and give it a go tomorrow once its light out again.
I suppose I just hope someone sees this with a similar experience that got resolved.
Thanks for your reply Calwaterboy!
Whoa! Put 'er up on jack stands....have a partner operate the controls....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Resolved

Hey all, I was actually able to resolve. The bolts used on the drive shaft were not torqued all the way. I took them out, put some lock tight on and torqued them to spec. All good! I think it was allowing for slight movement and making that sound.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.