BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

21 - 40 of 772 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
I would llike to add the icelink to my MY04 M3 with Nav. I have no interest in carving up my car. is there a place you reccomend to install the unit? I am in the San Fernando Valley. Thanks Tom.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I'm sure your local Best Buy or independent Audio installer is up to the task, no problem. No one I can recommend offhand I've personally worked with.
thanks. can anyone reccomend a place in los angeles?? Come on, you can't ALL be doing it yourselves!!!

·
TXSunDvl
3,630 Posts
ICE Link for F-150

Tom,

My daily driver is a 2001 Ford F-150. Do you make an ICE Link unit that would work with its CD player?

·
Registered
27 Posts
self install is really easy, takes minimal tools, and can be done in 2 hours the first time, 30 mins the second.
1) find the CD changer cable stubs on the left side of the trunk, behind the panel
2) plug in long cable
3) remove bottom trunk carpet/liner, and route long cable to middle of back seat; leave some slack
4) remove back seat bottom (pull up on the front part of the seat)
5) find the cable passthru slot at the base of the back seat. there may be other cables going thru here.
6) fish the long icelink cable thru this slot, leave some slack
7) remove rear ashtray, and two screws below ashtray (you should be able to pull the center console up a bit
8) unclip e-brake handle cover (just pull up around the edges)
9) remove plastic piece behind front center armrest -- squeeze and pull up
10) you should now be able to lift the center console 4-6"
11) this is the tough part -- fish the long icelink cable under the carpet from the rear seat, next to the driveshaft tunnel, and up next to the e-brake. I find that shoving a piece of stiff wire down thru the carpet next to the ebrake, down next to the driveshaft tunnel (the "hump") helps. Once you see your stiff wire, you're home free.
12) wrap the stiff wire around the long icelink cable connector, then pull it all up carefully thru the center console
13) connect the icelink controller and find a nice spot for the cradle. In my E36, I keep it under the center armrest in a cupholder (you can rearrange the ashtray, cupholder, change holder in that car). In my E46, I put it _inside_ the center armrest (the armrest opens), with the wire coming out the rear-passenger side of the armrest. In either case, you can't see any wires.
14) button up the install by using the factory wire tie-downs to route the long icelink cable and put everything back together, and you're done!

·
Urban Knucklebuster
409 Posts
Tom: Ipod / Ice Link will not turn off when ignition is shut off.

Tom: Thanks for the Ice Link. It works great! Ten times better than the FM transmitter. Install was easy, hardest part is routing the wire up to the console.

Howver, the Ipod does not automatically shut off after I turn off the ignition. It will play, and charge until I manually disconnect it from the Ice Link connector. I know I saw this problem before in searching info, but I cannot find it now.

What is the fix on this? Thanks, Gordo

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
gordo325xiwagon said:
Tom: Thanks for the Ice Link. It works great! Ten times better than the FM transmitter. Install was easy, hardest part is routing the wire up to the console.

Howver, the Ipod does not automatically shut off after I turn off the ignition. It will play, and charge until I manually disconnect it from the Ice Link connector. I know I saw this problem before in searching info, but I cannot find it now.

What is the fix on this? Thanks, Gordo
Contact me via email and we can run down some troubleshooting steps. I can be reached at [email protected]. :thumbup:

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
I've been following this thread for a while and am considering an ICElink Plus for my '05 330ci with Nav. Have all of the issues with Nav been worked out yet?

I don't have an IPOD yet, so I'd be getting that and the ICElink at the same time and I want a problem free solution.

tia,

·
Registered
4 Posts
CD Text & BMW radios

I have a 95 series 3 BMW. The radio is dead. (Specifically, the sled that
carries the cassette tape has given up the ghost & refuses to move all the way
to the front of the deck, so the deck thinks it's in "tape" mode & refuses to
switch to radio mode.) My mechanic is going to pull another BMW radio out of a
junkyard and install it in my car.

Now my question. If he gets a BMW radio out of a 96 or later car, I can
install an ice-link ipod interface, which I plan to do. (My car is wired for
an in-trunk CD changer, so it should be easy.) I have noticed that Dension
appears to have *just* gotten id3 tags working for BMWs; there's a fresh
firmware upgrade you can get for this. But... since I'm currently "junkyard
shopping" for a radio, I'd like to know *which ones* would be equipped to
display song title information on their display. That is, if 96-97 BMW radios
*can't* manage this feat, but 98+ radios *can*, then I'd ask my mechanic to
keep an eye out for the latter, and win.

I called Dension's support line, but got dumped into an answering machine.
Then I called sales, and got a friendly but unworkably vague answer. (He said
"a radio that can handle 'CD text' should work." But which are those?) So I
thought I'd appeal to this board & see if anyone had any advice.

Of course, everywhere I said "radio" in this post, I basically mean "head
unit."
-Olin

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Olin Shivers said:
I have a 95 series 3 BMW. The radio is dead. (Specifically, the sled that
carries the cassette tape has given up the ghost & refuses to move all the way
to the front of the deck, so the deck thinks it's in "tape" mode & refuses to
switch to radio mode.) My mechanic is going to pull another BMW radio out of a
junkyard and install it in my car.

Now my question. If he gets a BMW radio out of a 96 or later car, I can
install an ice-link ipod interface, which I plan to do. (My car is wired for
an in-trunk CD changer, so it should be easy.) I have noticed that Dension
appears to have *just* gotten id3 tags working for BMWs; there's a fresh
firmware upgrade you can get for this. But... since I'm currently "junkyard
shopping" for a radio, I'd like to know *which ones* would be equipped to
display song title information on their display. That is, if 96-97 BMW radios
*can't* manage this feat, but 98+ radios *can*, then I'd ask my mechanic to
keep an eye out for the latter, and win.

I called Dension's support line, but got dumped into an answering machine.
Then I called sales, and got a friendly but unworkably vague answer. (He said
"a radio that can handle 'CD text' should work." But which are those?) So I
thought I'd appeal to this board & see if anyone had any advice.

Of course, everywhere I said "radio" in this post, I basically mean "head
unit."
-Olin
Olin,

You spoke with me on the phone.

While in theory this would probably work, its not something I have tried personally. It is possible for iBUS radios to work on a test bench without the vehicle and possible to have an ice>Link connected to the radio fully functional on the bench. I think the same can be done for your M3 as well. I believe the connectors on the 1995 and 1996+ radios are the same. You would need a security code on the radio as well.

What I was referring to as a "CD Text" radio was the units found in the M-Coupe/Roadsters (MY1999+) which are CD text compatible, the earlier e36 radios are not.

While you can search eBay and the junkyards for stock BMW radios all day and night, the same can be done with aftermarket Kenwood unit as well for about $250 and have more advanced features.

Just my .02 cents. :thumbup:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
jvr530i said:
I've been following this thread for a while and am considering an ICElink Plus for my '05 330ci with Nav. Have all of the issues with Nav been worked out yet?

I don't have an IPOD yet, so I'd be getting that and the ICElink at the same time and I want a problem free solution.

tia,
Everything with the exception of Id3 text - this is still in beta. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Used BMW head unit & ice-link

Olin,

You spoke with me on the phone.

While in theory this would probably work, its not something I have tried personally. It is possible for iBUS radios to work on a test bench without the vehicle and possible to have an ice>Link connected to the radio fully functional on the bench. I think the same can be done for your M3 as well. I believe the connectors on the 1995 and 1996+ radios are the same. You would need a security code on the radio as well.

What I was referring to as a "CD Text" radio was the units found in the M-Coupe/Roadsters (MY1999+) which are CD text compatible, the earlier e36 radios are not.

While you can search eBay and the junkyards for stock BMW radios all day and night, the same can be done with aftermarket Kenwood unit as well for about $250 and have more advanced features.

Just my .02 cents. :thumbup:
Tom-

Thanks for your instantaneous reply and the MY1999+ tip. If I win, I will report back to this list to enter it into the Google collective consciousness.

I am now wondering about how to do a test before committing $$$, since we're in a somewhat grey zone here as far as knowing things will work. Would Best Buy let me take my head unit in to their store & plug it into an ice-link for a quick test before paying for one? That is, I'd like to try out the bench test you outlined.

As for aftermarket head units: Yeah, I could get a Kenwood, but... aftermarket/third-party head units always look cheesy to my eye -- lots of blinking lights and UI gadgets and plastic. My brother-in-law has an Alpine deck in his 80's Porsche 911, and it looks like a scab on the dashboard. Really leaps out at you when you glance at the dash. The factory units are much more integrated into the look of the dash; more consistent. So I am moved to try to stick with BMW head units.

Olin

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Olin Shivers said:
Tom-

Thanks for your instantaneous reply and the MY1999+ tip. If I win, I will report back to this list to enter it into the Google collective consciousness.

I am now wondering about how to do a test before committing $$$, since we're in a somewhat grey zone here as far as knowing things will work. Would Best Buy let me take my head unit in to their store & plug it into an ice-link for a quick test before paying for one? That is, I'd like to try out the bench test you outlined.

As for aftermarket head units: Yeah, I could get a Kenwood, but... aftermarket/third-party head units always look cheesy to my eye -- lots of blinking lights and UI gadgets and plastic. My brother-in-law has an Alpine deck in his 80's Porsche 911, and it looks like a scab on the dashboard. Really leaps out at you when you glance at the dash. The factory units are much more integrated into the look of the dash; more consistent. So I am moved to try to stick with BMW head units.

Olin
That would be up to Best Buy to decide, you may have better luck with an independent installer.

A great aftermarket unit is the Becker Traffic Pro, which closely matches the BMW interior and includes navigation as well. This was originally a $1500 radio that Becker blew out for about $400 a few months back.

There happens to be one on eBay as we speak.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Olin Shivers said:
Tom-

Olin
I can't agree with this observation more. Yes, the aftermarket stereos have feature and probably sound which is superior to my HK head unit our 02 Z3, but they all seem to look very cheesy. I would consider amp and speaker upgrades before changing out the HU. I have to ask Tom is fair to say the new firmware and Icelink plus have resolved the issue regarding artists and song info with the limitations on song lists previously noted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Tom,

I installed the Ice-Link Plus, but I get engine noise, or whine in my system. When there's a pause or quiet moment in the music, I can also hear a ticking or clicking noise. Both are consistent with engine RPM. Sounds like i've got electronic noise in my system. I'm very surprised that this happens with modern electronics. Anyways, what's up it? Anything I can do to remedy this? My setup is in the default 2V output, lower voltage makes the engine noise very obvious at moderate RPM. 4V sounds really bad like its overdriving my amp (stock HK system). I'm thinking of taking this back if there are no remedies.

LAN

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
LAN said:
Hi Tom,

I installed the Ice-Link Plus, but I get engine noise, or whine in my system. When there's a pause or quiet moment in the music, I can also hear a ticking or clicking noise. Both are consistent with engine RPM. Sounds like i've got electronic noise in my system. I'm very surprised that this happens with modern electronics. Anyways, what's up it? Anything I can do to remedy this? My setup is in the default 2V output, lower voltage makes the engine noise very obvious at moderate RPM. 4V sounds really bad like its overdriving my amp (stock HK system). I'm thinking of taking this back if there are no remedies.

LAN
You gain settings are correct, you need to reverse a ground pin in your cabling - essentially a 2 minute job.

Send me a quick email to [email protected] and I will respond with a tech bulletin showing the procedures in the morning.

·
•••••••
16,117 Posts
Okay, considering buying an icelink plus today, for my '02 330i w/NAV...

Just trying to understand exactly what issues still exist in this configuration. Reading all the threads here and on fanatics, from various points in time, has left me confused.

Here's my current understanding... please correct me if I'm wrong.

- The newest firmware I should run is v2.07. If the unit I buy has 2.B1 pre-installed, I'm screwed, as downgrading is not possible.

- Currently playing track names will not appear on the Nav screen until a new firmware update is released, but this will work eventually. Playlist, artist, album, and track names will show when navigating through the CD 6 IceLink menus.

- The issue of the unit spontaneously dropping into FM mode is resolved

I'm still not sure as to whether the Nav system can be used while playing the iPod... can it?

Please let me know if I'm understanding all this correctly... thanks!

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
What's wong with 2B1? I put that in mine (HW rev 2.02) and it seems to do everything it's supposed to.

21 - 40 of 772 Posts