BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· home sweet home...
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2005 330Ci convertible last week from florida & drove it to NY. what a 1100 mile blast it was for the 26 hour road trip. it felt like i was on the track!

my question involves the windows. when trying to pull open the doors, are the windows suppose to retract a little for ease of opening the doors? the doors seem to require a little more then normal extra effort while pulling on the handle.
when i close the door, the window will snug up automatically to the convertible. no problem there.

· Registered
465 Posts
No, sorry, but post what you find out. I had a loaner coupe once, and I could have sworn they did the same thing. Seems like something that would break occasionally since it happens every time you get in or out.

· Registered
622 Posts
windows should up/down ever time the door opens and closes.
are door handles adjusted correctly for outside opening?
i am guessing the problem is drivers side?
consider
do a google or even youtube has a video regarding door adjust on bmw.
there is a torx bolt hidden behind a black piece near striker part of door.
basically the torc bolt is for adjustment of door lock actuator and exterior door handle.
does problem happen from outside to inside?

· Registered
5,527 Posts
One other thing it could be, if you are coming from a make other than BMW it could be the way you open the door. I have found you need to pull more (almost) straight up on the door handle rather than pulling the handle out as on other makes. Give it a try it may "fix" the issue. Good Luck. N4S

· Casey!
20,866 Posts
I thought the same thing when I first got my car. Sounds like its working as designed.

Enjoy the car!

What color? 6 speed I hope?

· home sweet home...
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
great info!
i'll check for that door adjustment this weekend
& try the vertical lift on the door handle

yeah, this is my first beemer
black on black, steptronic auto, 2005 330Ci with only 23k miles on it. very nicely loaded, cold, premium, sport, xenon, convenience pkgs, 2 very minor dings, paint is excellent & bought for only $22k!

i wanted the 6 speed, but very hard to find, most of the car out there are silver, very lucky to find black on black with all of these options for the price i got.

overall, I'm extremely happy with my fine piece of machinery!

Attachments

· home sweet home...
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AHA!

Found it

Adjustment of Door Window
<TABLE border=1 cellSpacing=0 borderColorLight=#999999 borderColorDark=#000000 cellPadding=10 bgColor=#ffffff>*******>[TR][TD]

[/TD][/TR]********>[/TABLE]​

· Registered
622 Posts
i may be wrong but the long post might be older non-convertible.
The older convertible style had a button the same color and same material on the CAR BODY/FRAME striker..The lock part on the actual car not door..were lock hits..
on that model as the striker engaged and disengaged the tiny switch ..window would up/down.
I think it is now related to the door lock actuator system..the lock striker portion on DOOR...and it works together with inside and outside handles..
hence question to help you isolate was asked..
is problem inside or outside ?
inside lever or outside lever? or both?
Hope things work out for you.
Nice car.

· home sweet home...
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you may be right about it being an older model
i didnt check that
my problem is with the outside door handle
the inside handle does work but at the last possible moment before the door opens it opens ever so slightly & is still on the "hard" side of opening door

thanks

· Registered
471 Posts
The door handles are def. weird... It took me a while to get use to pulling up on the door handle to open the door.... I think my drivers side window needs adjusting... It doesn't it doesn't line up perfectly with the b pillar...

· home sweet home...
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh yeah!!!

i did the allen key wrench adjustment. passenger side was loose. def difference. drivers side was tight.
go figure.

I pulled up on the door handle & that i think made much more of a difference.
seems to work much better now.

thanks to all who posted.
you made my life that much more happier!
GOD, I LUV THIS MACHINE!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

some pics for everyone, from the beaches of the long island sound.....

Attachments

· Registered
622 Posts
you are welcome,
most items that break are common knowledge..BUT the convertibles are limited..had an older one for 10 years..
take care of the top and try to never take it to a high pressure wash..high pressure washes are very bad for the top.
and try to not leave the top in the boot overnight if wet...

· home sweet home...
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
good advice
i prefer washing my own car anyway, but i haven't washed the top yet.
i think there is probably a special soap for that, right?
any recommendations?
i haven't researched that part yet

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.