BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
BMW's Since 1989
382 Posts
end of the 3 wagon

Interesting, if upsetting, article. Sob!

Fewer than 3 percent of the 3 Series' in stock in the United States, according to Cars.com, are of the wagon variety. Loosely and imperfectly translated, this would equal approximately 730 sales over the first five months of 2016, or 0.5 percent of the BMW Group's total U.S. volume to date.
A report sourced both anonymously and from prolific BMW forum user Scott26, says the current BMW 3 Series Sport Wagon will be the last iteration of the car imported by BMW USA.
BMW USA spokesperson Rebecca Kiehne responded to TTAC's inquiry regarding the 3 Series Sport Wagon's rumored demise earlier today: "Unfortunately, we are unable to comment on future models and/or changes. We can however confirm, per MY17 Model Update Press Release that the US will receive a BMW 328d xDrive SW and a 330i xDrive SW for the 2017 model year."
No real promises of anything past 2017 and the article has their source saying production of the 3 Series wagon ends in June 2019. Could this really be the end?

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/06/bmw-3-series-wagon-probably-dead-heres/

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,646 Posts
That's too bad because I was considering a wagon one day. I didn't like it that it comes in xDrive. I like the handling of cars better than SUV's.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Very sad indeed. I have never owned a wagon nor am I some kind of wagon fanatic but have to admit that when I first saw the F31, I thought it was one the most striking wagons I have ever seen.

So I finally acted on it and its birth date will be the 28th of this month. It will be quite a rare bird indeed. Not just because it's a wagon.

Oh, and I do own an E70 X5 too which I am also very fond of.

Here's to hoping BMW changes its mind or comes up with a new marketing strategy for the touring. I do agree that they should have offered it on a rwd version too.

Cheers.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I am not surprised. BMW really sells so few of them in Canada, compared to the X1, X3, X5 SAVs. I like the old, 6 cyl 328 wagon, but am getting a 340i xDrive sedan (actually should get it tomorrow). If the F31 came with the new B58 engine that is in the 340i, I might have been tempted. But all you get is the four pot, and for the money, I'll pass on that.
It's a chicken and egg thing - does BMW sell so few wagons because few ppl want them; or do few ppl want them because BMW in N.America, makes it hard to justify buying one? Don't know..!!

·
Super Moderator
3,646 Posts
It's a chicken and egg thing - does BMW sell so few wagons because few ppl want them; or do few ppl want them because BMW in N.America, makes it hard to justify buying one? Don't know..!!
I think that the basic BMW premise of a sports sedan is a questionable strategy. I like it because that's what I want to drive but in the long term, luxury is a bigger market. That's why Mercedes Benz and Lexus are after that. True, there is money to be made in the niche market. Hopefully, BMW will stay in the sports sedan market.

Though there are countless reasons for car purchase decisions, some buy based on name recognition, sporty handling, acceleration, luxury, fuel economy, country of origin, outside appearance, etc. I hope there will always be cars made the way I like it.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Here in the US, a wagon invokes a certain imagery that it does not seem to elsewhere, particularly among the target demographic. People say "wagon" and think wood paneling, and 50s / 60s housewife. Note, that is not what todays wagons generally look like, but its the image that comes up.

The target demographic for that vehicle went from wagon, to Van / Mini Van, to SUV, to "SAV" (sports activity vehicle).. like X4 and X6, or Nissan Murano, etc. Nevermind that, in a lot of cases, the wagon (or the minivan.. there seem to be a lot of honda odyssey fans here on these boards. Never owned one but they are everywhere) seems to be the right tool for the proverbial job.

A similar thing is happening with Manual transmissions, but for different reasons. unless you grow up with one, what reason is there to learn how to drive a stick? Heck, 1/2 of my 23 year old sons friends cant even drive... and I am in southern california, where you basically have to have a car to get anywhere.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,810 Posts
It is sad, but ...... there is a 2015 CPO Elite wagon with only 2,000 miles on it (I think it was a BMW executive car) for sale at a local dealer that has been there for more than 60 days. It is very nice. xDrive can't be blamed, because it's the preferred drive system in Chicagoland.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Not surprised - its the US. The land of $50k trucks and soccer moms who won't settle for anything less than the size of a behemoth QX85 to haul a family of 4 around.

Of wait - you say you're an enthusiast? Sorry, you only make up 0.1% of the market :(

·
BMW Fanatic
430 Posts
Sad but inevitable in this land of SUVs and trucks, although Europe is moving that way too. When I first moved here in 1993, I purchased a 5 series Touring. Amazing car and loved it, but found that the premium BMW charge for the estate/touring/wagon was too much and we stuck with saloons/sedans. My wife occasionally went for an SUV/SAV e.g Jeep Grand Cherokee, X5 (x2) and an X1 but returned to her Mini roots. We have had 3 of these cars and love them. Me I will stick with my 4 series or a 5. Trucks seem pointless to me (I live in suburbia) and SUVs are unstable (high, too heavy etc.) and use a lot or fuel relative to their sedan brethren. If I truly wanted space, carrying capacity and comfort a mini van is the way to go, which proves that SUVs are a fashion statement and they are not chosen because they are practical or, more accurately, more practical.

I wonder how long the wagon will survive in the rest of the world. The march of the top heavy and heavy (hence thirsty) SUV continues (despite the electronics they use to try and cheat physics).

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
Not surprised - its the US. The land of $50k trucks and soccer moms who won't settle for anything less than the size of a behemoth QX85 to haul a family of 4 around.

Of wait - you say you're an enthusiast? Sorry, you only make up 0.1% of the market :(
I always laugh that we call people "soccer moms" or "soccer dads" when soccer is so far behind in popularity in the US for people native to this country.

I know the term, and I even get the meaning, because soccer is many times the first organized sport a kid plays here, boy or girl... but they usually only play it for a year or two, and thats it.

You are totally right though about the large vehicle thing... heck my wife wanted an X5, and we only have 1 child.. and he is in college and 23. We haul around Zero kids, not that much gear, etc. She just wanted the large vehicle, and loves the BMW brand.

We have zero reason to have that car except for the fact that she wants it... which means we have every reason to have that car :rofl:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Horror. Not a final word though. Wagons dominate sedans in Germany.
Lack of variety of different motors/gearboxes is government's fault. Stupid regulations require manufacturers to certify each combination separately.
We could have more choices and for sure more wagons could be sold. F31 340, MT? Would not many be tempted?

·
Registered
241 Posts
The lack of manual in the F31 is what will keep me from being loyal to the F31 at end of contract. Even a RWD 320i F31 would be acceptable, though a 340i would not be unwelcome! However, I realize I am part of a very small niche in the US that BMW is willing to risk sending elsewhere - in my case I'm resigned to living with a trunk. That said, I'm hopeful this is just a misreading of the tea leaves, future generations should get a chance to discover the 3er SW - and not as some historic curiosity.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sad but inevitable in this land of SUVs and trucks, although Europe is moving that way too.
I wonder how long the wagon will survive in the rest of the world. The march of the top heavy and heavy (hence thirsty) SUV continues (despite the electronics they use to try and cheat physics).
This report on the impending demise of the F31 for North America may be premature. As far as the Canadian market is concerned, the F31 is a sought after model. However, due to high demand in other markets, especially in Europe, Canada is only allocated 500 F31 per year - 250 gas and 250 diesel.

In Europe, the F31 is BMW's best selling 3 Series model, accounting for an astounding 60% of 3 Series sales in Germany. SUVs are not popular in Europe, where people value the driving dynamics/performance/efficiency of the F31 over the less efficient, tippy box-like SUVs.

The next generation Touring might well continue to be supplied from Germany, along with the 4 Series models.

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
...SUVs are not AS popular in Europe, where people value the driving dynamics/performance/efficiency of the F31 over the less efficient, tippy box-like SUVs.
Fixed. Don't forget that the X1 debut in the USA/CA was delayed by 2 years due to the extreme demand in Europe. One should not ignore the popularity of X1/X3/X5 in Europe: remember, the largest US exporter of vehicles is the Greenville plant is SC. I can tell you there are plenty of Xx vehicles here in Bucharest, and in Istanbul where I was last week, and all other EU and other countries I've been to.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I was pleased but surprised that Audi is brining the new gen Allroad to the U.S. this fall. Sales have dwindled to a little over 100 per month ((703 YTD thru May). It's a shame that wagons just don't sell better here.

·
6 RINGS
8,457 Posts
Ive always liked wagons, but Bmw seems set on GT variations of the 3 & 5. At least Benz is staying with wagons.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
It is really neither. See 55's comment below. If it weren't for ludicrous regulations, BMW could offer F31 in 320i, 328i, 335i (340i) and 328d guise each with AWD or RWD and each with MT or AT by simply testing F31 chassis for crash worthiness. If BMW offered that many possibilities, do you really think the number sold would stay where it is? No, it wouldn't be in 100,000s (pretty obvious), but if you think BMW wouldn't gladly ka-ching for the extra 3,000-4,000 F31 vehicles sold in platform's lifetime, you are being delusional. None of the "you" pronouns here are directed to you, No12, they're directed to armchair Internet MBAs who know all about profitability of low volume models. Which models just happen to be biggest sellers everywhere once you leave the island you inhabit in your armchair.

Horror. Not a final word though. Wagons dominate sedans in Germany.
Lack of variety of different motors/gearboxes is government's fault. Stupid regulations require manufacturers to certify each combination separately.
We could have more choices and for sure more wagons could be sold. F31 340, MT? Would not many be tempted?
My point exactly. Don't forget how hard would life of the dealership inventory managers become if the customer had that many choices. Can't have that ...

What I know is that BMW lost the sale of the normal car to VW (well, now that I said it, they lost to VW sale of the toy as well :)) when I was buying a daily driver. I cannot say honestly that I would have spent $45k on 328dxt if it did come in MT, but I sure as hell would have spent $35 on a base, no frills, MT 320dxt or even MT 320ixt. Just like about 50% of 3-series BMW customers do in most Euro countries.

There was a thread about God knows what and I remember saying to one of the posters that I started really hating jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none devices like iPhone and "sports sedan" that has to appeal to 300,000 people. So, I decided to go with more focused devices like desk phone, PC workstation and DSLR replacing my iPhone for any semblance of serious use as well as proper daily driver with no compromises dictated by "sportiness" and a proper track toy with no compromises dictated by "everyday usability". That said, I also remember checking off 5 points that would make me chose 328dt (or 328dxt if I really must) as a transportation of choice if I had to have one and one car only in my household which means wife cannot have her own car and we share one we have.

I do not think there is a better all-arounder vehicle to be had if your family is 4 or less AND you do not own a farmland for absolutely ANY duty you can throw at it - from Costco 2 full carts shopping all the way to cross-continent trip on 3-4 tanks of fuel or, yes, even some fun on a racetrack. I just cannot believe how stupid and gullible people can be because none of the above is a question of opinion and they are very measurable - from the cubic ft you can load, to mpg to cornering speeds ... and so on. Everything else in their "rational choice" is simply them telling fairy tales to themselves.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The article actually seems like it's reading too much into the statement. BMW didn't confirm that there would be a wagon in the next generation, but I don't think they did at this point when the F30 was on the horizon either. The wagon was predicted to be dead that time around too.

Either way, I've done my part to tell BMW that I want wagons to stick around. I pick up my new F31 in August.

·
BMW's Since 1989
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The article actually seems like it's reading too much into the statement. BMW didn't confirm that there would be a wagon in the next generation, but I don't think they did at this point when the F30 was on the horizon either. The wagon was predicted to be dead that time around too. . . .
Seems like you could be right. Since wagons have high popularity in Europe, why couldn't they easily continue to be imported to the U.S? And, wagon owners would have German-made cars rather than the next 3's which are going to be made in Mexico. Quality from there will probably be OK, but we don't know yet. (See the other current thread in the forum on this subject)

1 - 20 of 247 Posts