BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm beginning to lose hope. I've been search for months for a 1987-90 E30 325is. It's saddening :bawling: the condition of the cars that are out there in the market place. Maybe one of these days I'll stumble upon the right car. :bigpimp:

G

·
Sean said:
I'm beginning to lose hope. I've been search for months for a 1987-90 E30 325is. It's saddening :bawling: the condition of the cars that are out there in the market place. Maybe one of these days I'll stumble upon the right car. :bigpimp:
They ARE out there. Keep the faith.

But, yeah, there are a lot of neglected E30s out there. One of the '91 318is cars I looked at a few months back was just awful.

Roundel lists what sounds like a good '89 325is this month in the classifieds.

·
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking to spend $3500-$4500 for the right car. I want it to play around with (increase my mechanically skills), possibly do some track time and use it as sunny weekend driver.

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
When I sold my 330i, I too went looking for a nice E30 325is. I was horrified to see the trash on the market! It was really disappointing.

Well, my search ended last Sunday when I bumped into a long-lost friend who informed me his dad was selling his car (not an E30).... I bought it nearly sight unseen (it is getting smogged today). I take delivery this weekend.

Once I have the car in my garage, I will take pics and tell you what it is (keep the mouths shut Dave, Sergio, etc...).

The wait for this car is worse than the wait for my 330i! Imagine that.

Now, back to the E30. I agree with TD that the best thing to do is wait. Time is on your side, and a nice clean car will materialize eventually. Each day you wait, more used cars are put on the market.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Ok, I am back. Long, long vacation. I tell you, beaches in southern Thailand are great.

Hey Sean, so let me see. You still have the 330i, looking for a Mini, and now a E30? Do you have more than 2 feet?

I like the E30 a lot. I think its styling is cleaner than the E36. Yes, it is tough finding a good one for good value. Owners who kept their cars in good shape also want more money too. I guess you pay for what you get.
:D

·
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Dave! Welcome Back! :) I've acutally been looking for an E30 325is for a while. It would not a replacement for the 330Ci. I used to own an 87 model and have missed it for the last 2 or 3 years.

·
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well, my search ended last Sunday when I bumped into a long-lost friend who informed me his dad was selling his car (not an E30).... I bought it nearly sight unseen (it is getting smogged today). I take delivery this weekend
Details? What is it? :dunno: Going to make us wait? :thumbdwn: :)

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
I'd rather not brag until the car is in my garage.

There are far too many things that can go wrong between now and then!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Sean said:
talk to the used car mgr at your local "bmw center". those guys are constantly going to auto auctions like this one and all of the inventory is all known ahead of time. they can tell you when/if/how many E30's will be auctioned that day by logging into a computer.

when i was looking for an M3/4 a couple years ago ( :rolleyes: ), i had a guy offer to let me go w/ him to manheim and i could pick out whatever i wanted. he would take his comission of course, but that's fine by me, if it means i can get the car i want...let alone pick from a small inventory :D

anyway, the best way to find one may be your local bmw center's used car manager.... who knew? :rolleyes:

·
Elected by grace
1,945 Posts
Re: Re: The endless search goes on.

___lk___ said:

talk to the used car mgr at your local "bmw center". those guys are constantly going to auto auctions like this one and know ahead of time and the inventory is all known ahead of time. they can tell you when/if/how many E30's will be auctioned that day by logging into a computer.

when i was looking for an M3/4 a couple years ago ( :rolleyes: ), i had a guy offer to let me go w/ him to manheim and i could pick out whatever i wanted. he would take his comission of course, but that's fine by me, if it means i can get the car i want...let alone pick from a small inventory :D

anyway, the best way to find one may be your local bmw center's used car manager.... who knew? :rolleyes:
That's an excellent idea, lk has!

I would also advise that you talk to any independent auto shops in your area that specialize in servicing BMW's. Ask the owner or manager if they know of anybody that may have expressed an interest in selling their E30. Sometimes they even allow their customers to post "For Sale" notices on boards in the shop. It's a free ad for the customer, plus it cuts down on the riff-raff they have to deal with by limiting it to only 'serious' inquiries from other probable enthusiasts.

They (independent auto shops) also know of those cars that are in excellent mechanical and structural shape, since they see them and probably work on them all of the time.

If they don't have any immediate potential prospects for you, perhaps they will let you post a message on their boards stating your interest in acquiring an E30 in good to excellent shape.

There are several avenues available to you, but like the other posters stated if you remain patient, yet determined eventually you'll find exactly what you're looking for.

·
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From my understand not many E30's roll across the auction block here in the Southeast. The majority of the cars my BMW Center buys at auction are off lease cars and repos. The oldest model I've seen them buy lately are 1995 E34's.

·
Suffering from BMWitis
96 Posts
Thanks for the comment, TD! The darker lighting hides all the scratches and dings that it has. If you saw it in person you would see all 12 years of wear and tear.

When I picked up the 330i in January, most of the salesmen looked at the E30 and could not believe how clean and what good shape it was in. They said that most of them they see now are in pretty rough shape.

It's by no means perfect, but overall its pretty decent.

Is that an acutal pic of your E30 in your sig? I think the Brilliantrot was one of the best colors on the E30.

G

·
Eric Giles said:
Thanks for the comment, TD! The darker lighting hides all the scratches and dings that it has. If you saw it in person you would see all 12 years of wear and tear.

When I picked up the 330i in January, most of the salesmen looked at the E30 and could not believe how clean and what good shape it was in. They said that most of them they see now are in pretty rough shape.

It's by no means perfect, but overall its pretty decent.

Is that an acutal pic of your E30 in your sig? I think the Brilliantrot was one of the best colors on the E30.
No. Unfortunately. I do plan to take a digital pic of the best physical photo I have of my former E30 sometime soon. But that is a marketing pic I found online. However, mine was identical. So had I ever posed a shot like that....

I'm debating between getting another 318is (pros- weight, M suspension; cons- no torque, profile gasket, rare w/LSD) or getting an '88-90 325is (pros- torque; cons- increased weight). My old 318is had the LSD and cloth seats.

Then again, I probably will end up doing neither

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Re: Re: The endless search goes on.

TD said:

They ARE out there. Keep the faith.

But, yeah, there are a lot of neglected E30s out there. One of the '91 318is cars I looked at a few months back was just awful.

Wait, this coming from a guy that gives us folks a bunch of crap in the detail forum..those of us who keep immaculant care of our autos?!?! Maybe..just maybe you understand why the Alee's, the Johnlews, and countless others on this board, will go the extra effort to take care of their finishes, a nice looking car over 10 years with a great finish will sell to the first buyer looking at it(Granted its mechanically sound) ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.