BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was watching the video below and I noticed something shocking at 1:24-1:32 (engine position:cry:) and I just want to get the E46 community's take on the direction BMW is heading, as some of us will eventually be replacing our 3ers or add another car to the stable.

So when the time comes to replace your E46 or buy a new car will it be a Bimmer or are you going to go elsewhere?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxZOAv8Fsy0&feature=feedu

·
Keeping it surreal
43,275 Posts
Looks like they`re planning on building some 40-mpg Mini-Mobiles, with transverse-mounted 3 and 4-cylinder engines....which will likely be accompanied by front-wheel drive.... Oy !

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
As long as they keep the straight 6, I think I'll be fine. Not sure if they are going to have a NA inline 6 in their line up as I will be sad to see that go.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Most of the people who are buying the e46 are the same people who would have been buying Volvo 200 series cars 5 years ago. They artificially hold the value of the car down, and before long, you can buy a decent one for a thousand or less. It won't take as long for the e46 to fall out of favor with them, since the e46 is more fragile than the Volvo. When tons of them are tossed on the scrap heap, they will probably be replaced by Honda Civics, or some other rice cake. Most of those who are currently purchasing BMW automobiles won't be a candidate for a new one for at least 30 years, if at all. I don't see the urge to excel, but to follow the herd blindly. There is no individualism, but a lot of mee-too-ism, witness the big wheels, dropped suspension, wrapped or painted interior trim, clear lights, and non original bumpers. There is no one leading the pack, but rather the pack is milling around, copying each other.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,275 Posts
As long as they keep the straight 6, I think I'll be fine. Not sure if they are going to have a NA inline 6 in their line up as I will be sad to see that go.
^ Exactly my thoughts.
Around 10 years ago, I read an interview with the chief engineer at BMW. When asked if BMW would be using turbos to enhance power, he answered with an indignant and emphatic "NEIN !!!" No turbocharging for them, he insisted.
Seeing what recent history has brought us, I would say all bets are off for the future....looks like the marketing geeks are driving the bus....

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
One of the reasons they went with a V8 in the new M3 is due to the length and weight of the inline 6. I would not be surprised to see them go that direction with the smaller cars as well. A FWD 1 series would not surprise me either. If that really bother you, then there are LOTS of older BMWs out there that will run for a good long time if given appropriate maintenance.

·
TheMalibuMafia
12,882 Posts
People will continue to buy a BMW regardless of what they decide to do. But enthusiast like us may turn away to another make. To something we would like instead.
Regardless of whatever they decide to do. My next vehicle will be the E60 M5. Or I'll just get a E46 M3 real cheap and put the supercharger in it and call it a day.

·
Supporting Member
1,519 Posts
Turbo = greater efficiency. Yes, and another layer of the onion to go wrong.

I look forward to having another turbo diesel, but this time in a BMW. If you scratch your head at this, just look at what the most successful sports are at Le Mans and Sebring.

·
TheMalibuMafia
12,882 Posts
Turbo = greater efficiency. Yes, and another layer of the onion to go wrong.

I look forward to having another turbo diesel, but this time in a BMW. If you scratch your head at this, just look at what the most successful sports are at Le Mans and Sebring.
Agreed.
Another efficient thing is water/meth injection. I find it amazing more people don't use it on turbo or supercharged vehicles. It doesn't harm the engine or anything at all. It's actually good for it!. Until you run out of formula I suppose... got to keep on top of that.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
One of the reasons they went with a V8 in the new M3 is due to the length and weight of the inline 6. I would not be surprised to see them go that direction with the smaller cars as well. A FWD 1 series would not surprise me either. If that really bother you, then there are LOTS of older BMWs out there that will run for a good long time if given appropriate maintenance.
You're right, a straight six is not the best type of motor when it comes to packaging and space consideration, which is why most other manufacturers got rid of them decades ago in favor of the V6. I loved the fact that BMW was one of the few out there that still stuck with it and in essence perfected it. This is still one of the best 6 cylinders in the world IMO. Atleast they will still offer it in turbo form for new model, so it will be around for a bit longer. When it comes time to give up the E46, chances are I will look into E46 M3's or maybe an E90 :dunno: decisions, decisions

·
Living Life At The Beach
3,809 Posts
That's a tough question. I will be trying to keep my car going as long as I possibly can, but if it dies, or is totaled, I don't think I will buy a newer BMW. I don't need all of the fancy electronics they seem to be pushing lately, and it seems you have to take stuff you don't want to get the good things you do want. They are not the only manufacturers that do this though. I guess if I HAD to choose, I would look into a Mazdaspeed 3. Seems to be a good car for the money. If gas prices stay around $4 or $5 for the foreseeable future, the automotive landscape is going to look a lot different in about 5 years. The Dems seem to hate motorists, so I hope another party will be more favorable. I fear that the days of having fun in a car are going by the wayside, and we all be driving appliances in the future.

·
Registered
21 X5 xDrive40i
640 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts